Tournament video camera angle

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by visor, Sep 15, 2011.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

Anyone else other than me find that Yonex and Victor sponsored tournaments have the best overview camera angle for the viewer to judge perspective depth and distance? While Lining sponsored ones are worst. Like the current China Masters.

The first ones are better because the camera is set lower, and you'll see the net tape clearly over the baseline. But the latter ones are difficult because the camera is set higher (the tape is seen well inside the baseline), thus flattening the perspective.

Something simple like this should be easily fixed, especially in a country that boasts badminton as its national sport. :(

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

What about the swiss open? What do you think?:( Anyway, i love french open camera angle.. very nice.
    Sometimes its determined by the company tv broadcaster.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Yah, that and Indonesian Open was bad too...

4. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

5. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:D What does it have to with the sponsor? It for the most part depends on the stadium, many of which have their broadcast booths up high to cover side-to-side moving sports (at least that seems a logical explanation for it to me).
    For the Swiss Open they don't use the normal position for the camera's but instead have to put it up at the red area in the back there. Obviously the court is in the centre of the area but there is no open area for the camera. So do you say "too bad folks on the far side" or do you cater to the paying audience first? Alternatively perhaps they should consider a crane behind where the photographer is positioned (who is on the temporary stand). 2005 Anaheim was another with this off-centre angle ...
    At the Dutch Open they don't use the normal booth either at the current venue, probably because it is up very high and normally used for volleyball, basketball and handball and not to forget not straight behind the finals court (probably the reason since they still set up fairly high). In this case the court is actually not in the centre and only 2/3 is in use of the whole area :rolleyes: :)rolleyes: since the best seats to sit on are in the middle)

[​IMG]

#5 demolidor, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  6. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ I understand... but they're so many empty seats in the middle there, I'm sure they can place a camera somewhere lower where it won't block too many spectators. :p

7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:D Yes that is the "VIP" section, invite only iirc. At the Dutch they do indeed set up right in the stands but up high, I guess because of the spectators. Also the VIP at the Dutch is on the floor with tables & catering (a good idea to fill up all that empty space at most events)
    As for the above Swiss pic, perhaps a quarter turn and block off the exit there with the camera ;).
    The weird thing iirc is the camera is actually on the grey area, behind the seats/red banner on the passage/walkway but with room behind. If deadcentre there wouldn't be as much room behind to walk ... (apparently the pic galleries have been removed from previous years, perhaps because there is too much Wilson left in them with it having become a Yonex event starting next year :confused:)

hallenplan_2011.jpg

#7 demolidor, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  8. soulpx

soulpx Regular Member

Trader
    not only the camera angle, but the lightning too. i have downloaded the indonesia open 2011 and chinese taipei gpg 2011 videos but lost interest to watch them because the lightning too bright.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Yah, the contrast setting of the video is too high. You could turn it down in your video player. I'm sure it's fine live at the venue.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

@demolidor: Thanx for the cool wide angle pic and overview schematic of the venue. Very informative. :thumbsup:

11. Dimo

Dimo Regular Member

Pre-Raphaelite & Classic Art
    Has anyone seen a match filmed from an elevated position at the side of the court?

12. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Only from private recordings ... What about it?

13. Dimo

Dimo Regular Member

Pre-Raphaelite & Classic Art
    Viewed from the usual angle down the court, everything becomes foreshortened. Such TV coverage means it's difficult to fully appreciate the speed and dynamics of the game IMO. I've been to live tournaments and always, when possible, find a side-on elevated view as this provides a better overall perspective. I wonder if any TV company is adventurous enough to try it?

14. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I think pretty much ALL video presentations of the events sucks (regardless of sponsor).. I guess the problem with higher angles gets worse in countries where badminton is more popular and thus the stadium gets bigger/higher to accompany the bigger number of spectators.

The last WC in London i think was a bit better in TV-production, but I think there is a HUGE potential in presenting the game better.. I do not think the "tennis thinking" with main focus on a static camera high above is the way to go at all for badminton presentation. I tend to prefer even videos from people at court level, as it shows more of the height/depth/speed of the game than the "Normal" presentations.

15. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

[video=youtube;hiSZmT-j8qc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiSZmT-j8qc&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;TiImNwIhXoI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiImNwIhXoI[/video]

16. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Was watching Belgian International on tv today and it was the usual high angle wasting half the screen with the surrounding area ;). The beauty of widescreen for badminton is you can get a really low angle and still cover the whole backline but perhaps they still have to account for 4:3 broadcasts in some countries?
    :D the problem with (amateur) low angles is the occasional zombie blocking the view ...

This is a pretty decent angle for tv but the overhead cam is totally static. Perhaps a bit more off-centre like above to show more depth but not as far as the Swiss Open past the sideline ...

[video=youtube;xPy_A88W4eA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPy_A88W4eA&feature=related[/video]

#16 demolidor, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  17. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Yea I really like that angle.. and then use multiple cameras for re-runs, cuts / angles, net-duels :p

18. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

19. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Yes we need some Hong Kong (non-badminton) directors for CHina Masters next year ;)

20. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Camera placement, choice of lenses, lighting, the vision mixer and the director, all go hand in hand. Which is why I would rate the quality of broadcast (both from a technical viewpoint as well as contextual and aesthetic viewpoint) of the All England and the French Open at the very top of the heap.

A side-on, elevated position is very desirable, if using the correct distance and lens combination. However, at major events this becomes a bit difficult to manage because it often means positioning the equipment plumb in the middle of hordes of fans. Some of who, will be jumping in front of the camera and obscuring the view...