Advice in suppliments

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by esreverse, Sep 15, 2011.

1. esreverse

esreverse Regular Member

Hi, im 44 years old and getting to start competitionplay. I need to play Single and Double against young players with more condition and proberly 20years younger :) I like to play 3 times in a week free play sessions and Sunday is the competitionday. I want to know if i can take some food, suppliments, vitamine, creatine or anything else to gain more staminia. What do you take before a match?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

If it were that simple, we'd be all taking it!

However, for energy, you should make sure you get lots of complex carbs (eg. pasta, yams, potatoes, etc) a few days prior to important matches. And don't eat too much fats and proteins on match day. Half hour before match, have a powerbar. After the match, lots of carbs again...

3. esreverse

esreverse Regular Member

If it where that simple i didnt have to ask it here ;-)
    How about banana's or Supradyne?

4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Supradyne, by it's website, just looks like a standard multivitamin. Nothing amazing there, except that it is powered by Bayer's marketing machine. Lots of people say they feel better taking vitamins everyday, and that's fine. But it isn't going to make a difference between now and Sunday.

Creatine is something that some folks take to improve their stamina for weight training. It purports to make your muscles last a bit longer and give you a few more reps when pushing iron. If it works, the benefits would be stronger muscles once you have been training for a while. So that isn't going to help you by Sunday either.

So there are really no 'edible shortcuts' for your upcoming tournament. You can follow visor's advice on carbs. Add to that plenty of water (but don't increase a whole bunch over your usual, or you'll feel bloated by Sunday). Get lots of sleep. Don't overtrain/over stretch the couple days before. If you are feeling a little stiff on tournament day, you could take some ibuprofen for your joints.

But most importantly go in with a positive happy attitude. That is the biggest edge and stamina builder you can find at this point. :)

Good luck!

5. FlamingJam

FlamingJam Regular Member

Research Student/PT Coach
    There is no miracle aid to stamina, eating the right level of carbs before play is good advice though. Pasta and chicken dishes the day before help however you don't want to be eating large quantities of these foods near to play. Before play i'd recommend you eat 2-3 hours before, also 1 hour before play drink at least 500ml of water or (non fizzy) sports drinks (isotonic not pure sugar based). Keeping hydrated can give you a edge in feeling less tired after a few matches and players hydrate well before they are on court.

I would say if you are playing regularly following decent healthy guidelines with food will help you recover between sessions. Also recovery drinks may help you these contain high levels of carbs and some protein to help your body recover, alot of decent players use these. Sadly large stamina increases can only be found through long term CV training and hard work.

6. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

how'd your game go? anyways, i do take creatine it works almost instantly but really it doesnt increase your endurance. it increases your strength/bursts and you'll feel more tired. good for training though as it helps you recover and when you dont take it, it "increases" your endurance :D

if you think you need more energy/recovery, try some supplements with either BCAA , glutamine and/or beta-alamine. also taking caffeine an hour before your match increases your focus and endurance

if there is a drug test careful though, some energy boosting supplements like jac3d by USPlabs (which gave me 20% more intensity in my weight and cardio) got some footballers banned for 6 months :S

7. esreverse

esreverse Regular Member

Hi moomoo. Do u use Creatine Ethyl Ester? My game wasnt bad but i could be beter. My knie was hurt (overplayed) so i wasnt fast enough with my footwork. I lost my single and 1 double (Damn i had to win that 3th set). As a team we won with 6 - 2. I have some overweigth and i take a lot rabbitfood now so no carbs. Before and between the game i drink ISOtonic drink.

8. flailingarms

flailingarms Regular Member

Student
    Haha, doesn't that make creatine a great supplement? Increase in stop/start power is just what we need in badminton isn't it? I take creatine (monohydrate, ethyl ester is proven to be less effective and generally less potent) however, I find that it increases my endurance and overall power. Then again placebo is a very powerful thing... that and the cocktail of supplements I take :rolleyes:

But for badminton, I'd say that Caffeine, L-carnitine, isotonics and/or glucose tablets are the way to go. Creatine is a little too hardcore - I only started using it because is started competing nationally in cycling and county badminton at the same time... the drain on me was horrendous before I started supplementing (or before I got used to it?)

9. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

Agree with flailingarms there. creatine is not "useful" for badminton as its not really a "power" sport. sure it helps with the burst but it makes you feel drained and you'll suffer on the next game.

ethyl ester is a waste of money in my opinion. the best creatine however is creatine hydrochloride, unlike monohydrate it doesnt make you water retentive or give you the bloated feeling. i stick to monohydrate, better value for money as even the generic ones work well if you load properly.