Yonex Armortec 700 ( AT700 ) Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by TI-SP-SS dude, May 28, 2003.

1. TI-SP-SS dude

TI-SP-SS dude Regular Member

I tried out my new At700 today and here is a review about this racket.
    specs:

AT700
    3u G4
    strung with BG65Power 23x24
    Balance: very head heavy
    flex: very flexible

FIRST INTIAL THOUGHTS: wow this racket is REALLY flexible and i was afraid of breaking it because i was constant messing around with it.
    After hitting for a little bit, i found my shots to be very off. i have completly no control of my shots, but it packs a big punch.
    All of and more pomy shots were normal, except for my clears, which were not as strong as usual. After i played for 3 hours, i found that all of my shots were a lot more powerful than ever and my clears improved darastically(from my clears at the beginning) As i praticed more and got use to the racket more, my shots continued become better werful.
    I figured out that altough my racket is a 3u and that is considered very light for many of you(most of you) it is very hard to swing this racket! INdeed, all shots very powerful but it felt very heavy and was very hard to swing with. My friend tested this racket out and even he said this racket was heavy and hard to swing. He is a 4 year player who uses a ISO SP900 SX(AN SP900sx!!!!!!!!!!!!!) One of the most head heavy rackets ever!!
    Drops i found difficult but maybe it will turn around once i get used to the racket some more. Net shots were beautiful and couldn't be better.
    I find that BG 65 Power as a very large scale of POWER that you can unleash. and if you are not an experienced player you can play with teh racket for 6 months with weak shots and wonder why.

THIS RACKET IS HIGHLY NOT RECCOMMENDABLE FOR BEGINNER-INTERMEDIATE PLayers due to how hard it is to swing the racket. The first 10 minutes i played i sweated a lot and it got me very tired. SO i took a short break. While sitting down i COULDN't STOP SWEATING and was VERY VERY TIred!

And yes, this racket is LONG even though not stated i compared the length with my ti 7 LONG and TI SP SS and it was about the same length.

#1 TI-SP-SS dude, May 28, 2003
    Last edited: May 28, 2003
  2. n00b

n00b Regular Member

Student
    how does the at700 compares to other racquets like mp77 and ti-10

3. legal strike

legal strike Regular Member

pardon me but what brand is the AT700 belong to?

4. trademark14

trademark14 Regular Member

Yonex NEW 2003 model.
    So far there is AT700 and AT500 (Armortec 700, Armortec 500)

previous Armortec review and picture

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    i know it is difficult to say but being a ti-sp-dude, how does the flex compare to an sr version of tisp. And when you say the weight what is the weight in grams?

6. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

3U = 85 - 89grams.

7. TI-SP-SS dude

No i cannot compare this racket with either MP77 or Ti 10

The flex is again like i said VERY FLEXIBLE, which causes a kind of snapping sound/whipping effect when you smash which is quite nice i must add.

I cannot compre the flex with any other racket because all of my other rackets are stiff.

8. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

Well, it is obvious from what u (ti-sp-ss-dude) said that the armortec is way more flexible than a ti swing power SS. I myself own a Ti swing power SX and i know you said that you can't compare it with any other racket because all yours are stiff..but could you tell me in ur opinion, if you'd prefer to use the ti swing power SS or SX (if u've used it before) or the armortec 700, and I guess this answer will be answered after you answer the first one..which racket do you like better?

I'm wondering this because my friend is giong back to HK and i'm thinking about asking him to get me one of these armortec..but without knowing how it plays..i'm just seeing if there are any similarities between this racket and my ti swing sx

thanks

9. modious

modious Regular Member

Mongoose Review

This is Mongoose's review of the Armotec 700. Hope this helps. ;)

Model: Armortec 700
    Version: JP
    Weight/Grip: 3UG4
    Strings/Tension: BG66, Mains 25 lbs, Crosses 27 lbs on a spring lock-out machine.
    Duration of testing: 1 week

Service
    Head heavy balance gives excellent control for low backhand serves in doubles.
    High serves in singles are also effortless.

Clears/Lobs
    Requires a full swing to generate the power. A little tough to execute deceptive punches using the wrist.
    Underhand clears are firm and deep.

Drives
    Not very manueverable. Very sluggish. Couldn't generate sufficient racket head speed to hit hard drives.
    Seems more suited to strong players who can handle the head heavy balance.

Netshots
    Extremely easy to control. Very precise and accurate.
    Great feel. Very stable.

Smashes
    Surprisingly very powerful for a 3U racket!
    Very accurate.
    But requires a full swing to generate the power.

Racket Comparison:

MP77 SP
    Very similar flex.
    Same profile, width and thickness.
    Same power. More stable and better control than MP77 SP.

MP90 JP
    More flexible than MP90 JP.
    More power.
    Similar control.
    Slower swing speed.

Ti10 SP
    Similar balance.
    Thicker profile.
    More stable than Ti10 SP.
    More power.
    Better control.

10. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    More power than Ti-10 ?

11. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    from another ISO Ti SS-SP user

TI-SS-SP Dude, I am glad you got this racket since my current racket of choice is an ISO Ti SS SP as well.

I use it over a 2U and 3U MP99.

From my reading, you must have experienced a big change from how the SS-SP handles.

I am looking for a racket with more or less the same characteristics of the SS-SP, (light weight, good maneuverability) but with more power, if at all possible.

Should I be looking at the Armortec 700? Or is the 500 more up my alley?

BTW, if anyone who has tried both the 500 and the ISO Ti SS SP, please do post your thoughts.

12. modious

modious Regular Member

I'm not too sure. That's what Mongoose says in his site!. The Ti10, MP90 and MP77 that he use are all 2U rackets btw.

13. TI-SP-SS dude

Re: from another ISO Ti SS-SP user

I think you will love the At700 as much as i do. Currently i use my At700 for my main racket and SS as my backup. You should get one!

14. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day all,

Had a chance to use my friend's AT700 this weekend at a country tornament and here are my thoughts. I also had a MP100, MP90, MP77, Ti-10 and IsoTiSPSX on hand for comparison.

Racket Spec: AT700JP 3UG4 with BG65Power at 24lbs

Initial impression:

A nice looking racket with interesting design features which I won't go into as it has already been extensively covered else where. Very surprised at how heavy the racket felt for a 3U racket. Very head heavy with flexible shaft - kind a mix of Ti-10 with a MP90 shaft. After 1 game I was very aware of the heaviness although it didn't tire me out.

Power:

Good power generation on smashes and clears but not as much as I had anticipated. String type is most likely a factor here as I am used to BG80/85 at higher tension. Took a bit of work to get power out of the racket. Nice and punch feel when struck in middle of the racket. Smashes went where it should go showing good racket stability.

Control:

Was expecting an average on this as I normally have trouble with net shots when using head heavy rackets - however opposite was true. Most shots went where I aimed, however the racket didn't have the feedback and feel of other rackets - feels overly damped.

Clears/Serves:

Excellent as expected for a head heavy racket - quite like Ti-10 - it is effortless.

Drives:

Quite good but not better than Ti-10, IsoTi-SPSX or MP90. Was anticipating the flexible shaft to assist in drive shots but it did not have the same "punchiness" of MP90.

Manuverability:

Quite slow and definately can feel the heft. I actually feel it being worse than MP77/ Ti-10 but my dimunitive mixed doubles partner thought otherwise. I didn't like it especially when executing fast net blocks or smash returns. Just too slow for me.

Overall I think the racket is quite good for a physically strong player with good arm and wrist power. The heft of the racket was the most notable as well as the flexiness. The special handle cone that's supposed to assist in defensive shot didn't make any difference in my opinion - I prefer a long handle racket like MP100/90 with overgrip all the way to shaft than the flat cone feature of AT700. The heft and sluggishness of the racket didn't hinder my game play, but it did bother me in my mind - when I switched back to Ti-10 I actually thought Ti-10 was light! I am now convinced (and glad) that I didn't get one when one was offered - the cost of private importing one to Australia from Japan direct didn't justify the performance gain - especially when older Yonex racket such as Ti-10, MP77 & IsoTiSP-SX offers very similar overall performance.

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    good review there ayl.
    However, there is a danger of reviewing a new racquet with a new string because the reviewer tend to lump the overall performance difference to the racquet. If it take extra work to clear (due to bg65power), then it would take even more effort to make drive shots as u dont have shoulder and body motion to help u. Also i noted some inconsistency. You said the shaft is flexible but yet you rated AT700 flexiness as between a ti-10 and MP90. Are ti-10 and MP90 flexible too? If AT700 was flexible, then u said it suppose to help your drive shots but did not. So AT700 is not flexible? I got a bit confused. You said the racquet is overly damped. You should remember that you are using a thicker brute string (65power) versus your usual bg80/85.

LIke i said, overall your review was nice and covers most what i felt about the racquet. The best is to review a new racquet with your usual string and tension.

I wonder if AT700 and ti-10 clashed, which one wins out. If AT700 wins, then it could be said it has huge performance (durability) gain.;)

16. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day Cooler,

Thanks for pointing out my comments of inconsistency. I guess what I am trying to convey is that AT700 feels like a Ti-10 in terms of head heaviness but with a flexible shaft like MP90. That's what I thought of the rackets anyway.

Also a very good point about the string playing a big factor in racket performance. My review cannot be an accurate one unless the AT700 was also strung to identical specs as other rackets. My friend is getting me to restring his AT700 after existing BG65P pops. He had a go at my Ti-10 (BG68Ti @ 25lbs) and he was quietly depressed that his AT700 wasn't better.....:D

And no I wouldn't even contemplate an AT700 vs Ti-10 clash. That would be about $AUS 500.00 worth of exercise to prove who's the dumb one....! ;)

17. TI-SP-SS dude

Hey all,
    I've been trying to determine the flex of At700 for quite a couple days now.
    Here's what i've come up with:
    When touching the shaft and bending it, it is very flexible. So flexible i am afraid that i will break it by messing around with it. Compared it to my other rackets that are it is alot more felxible.
    BUt.....when i am holding it, when i swing it around, it feels very stiff! I pratice swings a lot, so i can tell the difference between the flex of the racket when swing it around (i think everyone can). But it does not feel flexible when swinging it around. I think this is a result of Ultitum TI. what do you guys think?

18. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    This makes sense. UltimumTi is supposed to allow the shaft to bend as much
    as flexible shafts while snapping back to its straight position as quickly as stiff
    shafts. More distance to snap back means more power when timed properly.

19. Pre-emptive

Pre-emptive Regular Member

I just received my 3U AT700 yesterday. I also have 1 unstrung Ti-10 for comparison. The length of the rackets is almost the same but the Ti-10 is slimmer. Here are some measurements of the 2 rackets:

AT700 3U JP

Length: ~676mm
    weight: 89.3g
    thickness of the shaft: 7.25mm
    size of cross section at 9 o'clock: 11.3mm X 6.6mm
    size of cross section at 12 o'clock: 11mm X ~6.2mm

Ti-10 long 2U SP

Length: ~675mm
    weight: 93.1g
    thickness of the shaft: 7.1mm
    size of cross section at 9 o'clock: 10.1mm X 6.6mm
    size of cross section at 12 o'clock: 9.6mm X 5.6mm

The racket is more head heavy than the Ti-10 but is slightly more flexible on the shaft. The cone is very comfortable to hold. The frame feels very solid. I will see how it performs when I play next week.

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu