User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 63
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NorCal, United States
    Posts
    865
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Can and will China sweep all 5 golds?

    I have a feeling a lot of people will say no, but if we look at reality, they showed us that they can do it and they are right now on full course to do so. They've shown us twice at World Championships that they can step their game up and do it.

    Women Singles is dominated by the Chinese. Unfortunately they are only allowed 3 players, but as long as Wang Shixian, Wang Yihan and Wang Xin are in good condition, they can beat out most of the competition and have at least once Chinese in the final.

    Womens Doubles; Where do I even begin? I believe their #1 WD pair lost only once together in their entire career and that was against another Chinese pair? Correct me if I'm wrong and that has changed.

    Mixed: They have some very solid Mixed teams and Nan Zhang and Yunlei Zhao can take care of most of the competition. If Chen Xu/Ma Jin gets drawn on the other side of the bracket, then that will be perfect for the Chinese to eliminate most of their foes from both sides of the bracket.

    Men Singles: Lin Dan has shown us at World Championship that he is still at the top. LCW brought him to a close game, but couldn't close it out. He's still a heavy favorite to win the gold. (Don't get me wrong, I'm more of a Chong Wei fan) Right now, not that many can keep up with these two and I believe that it will be pretty certain that it will be LCW and LD in the finals (barring any injury)

    Mens Doubles: Cai and Fu have been playing really well together as of late and they are hard to stop right now. If Mathias and Carsten play things right, they might have a good chance. LYD/JJS haven't been doing so well lately, so unless they can pull things together, I don't think they can overthrow Cai and Fu. Another big threat is Ko/Yoo who have been doing really well as of late in tournaments.

    Just my 2 cents into this. I wanna hear your opinions and whether you guys agree or disagree. The way I see it, China is looking to be at the top of the podium in all 5 events at next year's Olympics. But hey, it's almost a year away and there's still lots of time for someone to overthrow them.

  2. #2
    Regular Member miksss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Red Blood-White Bone
    Posts
    11,016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think no clean sweep. In OG 2008, CHN won 3, MD goes to INa and XD goes to KOR. In AG 2010, CHN won 3 in individual event, MD goes to INA and XD goes to KOR. IMO, in OG 2012, XD and MD won't go to CHN. If playing normal and consistent, Towi/Butet will be a big threat for ZN/ZYL. And in MD, Kido/Hendra might be a threat too, they are so unpredictable, no one expect them to win AG due to bad results prior to AG, but they win it, others pair like Bona/Ahsan,Koo/Yoo,LYD/JJS will be a competitive contender too. Well, just my opinion

  3. #3
    Regular Member AlanY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,438
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    we are just nuts, aren't we?
    just wonder any other sports already into the OLY predictions mode already!

  4. #4
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,083
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    we are just nuts, aren't we?
    just wonder any other sports already into the OLY predictions mode already!
    OK, another prediction: table tennis - China stuffs everybody. Back to badminton...

    CHN will get WD and WS, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind - their squad is just too deep - and MS is relying on LCW to deny them, but I don't think anything else is locked up by any means.

    Ko/Yoo are, IMO, the most promising MD pair at the moment, and I may bet actual money on them getting a medal, but my dearest wish is that JJS/LYD come away with something before they get split up. XD... anybody's guess, but another fiver on LYD/HJE getting a coin.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Woodland
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Adcock and Bankier will collect their golds in the MD and prevent badminton powerhouse CN from sweeping them clean!

  6. #6
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,083
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MilGauss View Post
    Adcock and Bankier will collect their golds in the MD and prevent badminton powerhouse CN from sweeping them clean!
    Will this be before or after Andrew Smith gets his MS gold?:P

    I doubt Ad/Ban will be seeded by the time 2012 rolls around, meaning they'll have to get through all four thousand Chinese pairs. In addition, I'm betting Zhang/Zhao and Xu/Ma will be in opposite halves of the draw, so the winners (if they're not either of those) will have to beat BOTH.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    icy cold place
    Posts
    3,778
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    Will this be before or after Andrew Smith gets his MS gold?:P

    I doubt Ad/Ban will be seeded by the time 2012 rolls around, meaning they'll have to get through all four thousand Chinese pairs. In addition, I'm betting Zhang/Zhao and Xu/Ma will be in opposite halves of the draw, so the winners (if they're not either of those) will have to beat BOTH.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilGauss View Post
    Adcock and Bankier will collect their golds in the MD and prevent badminton powerhouse CN from sweeping them clean!
    Milgauss, I can smell money...I bet you real money on this anytime. Adcock is weak link, I say they would not even medal in OLY12.

    Mark A, OLY rules pit 2 players/pair from same country on opposite halves, I think, so you arwe correct.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CantSmashThis View Post
    I have a feeling a lot of people will say no, but if we look at reality, they showed us that they can do it and they are right now on full course to do so. They've shown us twice at World Championships that they can step their game up and do it.

    Women Singles is dominated by the Chinese. Unfortunately they are only allowed 3 players, but as long as Wang Shixian, Wang Yihan and Wang Xin are in good condition, they can beat out most of the competition and have at least once Chinese in the final.

    Womens Doubles; Where do I even begin? I believe their #1 WD pair lost only once together in their entire career and that was against another Chinese pair? Correct me if I'm wrong and that has changed.

    Mixed: They have some very solid Mixed teams and Nan Zhang and Yunlei Zhao can take care of most of the competition. If Chen Xu/Ma Jin gets drawn on the other side of the bracket, then that will be perfect for the Chinese to eliminate most of their foes from both sides of the bracket.

    Men Singles: Lin Dan has shown us at World Championship that he is still at the top. LCW brought him to a close game, but couldn't close it out. He's still a heavy favorite to win the gold. (Don't get me wrong, I'm more of a Chong Wei fan) Right now, not that many can keep up with these two and I believe that it will be pretty certain that it will be LCW and LD in the finals (barring any injury)

    Mens Doubles: Cai and Fu have been playing really well together as of late and they are hard to stop right now. If Mathias and Carsten play things right, they might have a good chance. LYD/JJS haven't been doing so well lately, so unless they can pull things together, I don't think they can overthrow Cai and Fu. Another big threat is Ko/Yoo who have been doing really well as of late in tournaments.

    Just my 2 cents into this. I wanna hear your opinions and whether you guys agree or disagree. The way I see it, China is looking to be at the top of the podium in all 5 events at next year's Olympics. But hey, it's almost a year away and there's still lots of time for someone to overthrow them.
    I think it is no guarantee for the MD, Cai and Fu must maintain excellent form throughout 2012 or else Korea will take it.

    WS : definitely the top 3 seed from China will get it.

    MS: Hope Lin Dan don't pull out from "sickness". LCW also stand high chance to fight with Lin Dan for Gold.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Woodland
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    Will this be before or after Andrew Smith gets his MS gold?:P

    I doubt Ad/Ban will be seeded by the time 2012 rolls around, meaning they'll have to get through all four thousand Chinese pairs. In addition, I'm betting Zhang/Zhao and Xu/Ma will be in opposite halves of the draw, so the winners (if they're not either of those) will have to beat BOTH.
    MS and WS is CN's already!

    MD? Zhang/Zhao? I would not back CA/IB if I thought Xu/Ma will be on the opposite side of the net... It is still a long ways. Stay tuned.

    Quote Originally Posted by OneToughBirdie View Post
    Milgauss, I can smell money...I bet you real money on this anytime. Adcock is weak link, I say they would not even medal in OLY12.

    Mark A, OLY rules pit 2 players/pair from same country on opposite halves, I think, so you arwe correct.
    Doesn't matter if CA/IB are unbacked. Definitely, I don't think Zhang/Zhao (they aren't as fierce as Xu/Ma) will survive the draw halfway. Again, it's still a long ways too go. We'll get there when nearer, alright?

    Btw OTB, Mark A seemingly is playing with his figures of speech (regarding four thousand, decrepits I guess).
    Last edited by MilGauss; 09-19-2011 at 01:43 PM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member AlanY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,438
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MilGauss View Post
    Adcock and Bankier will collect their golds in the MD and prevent badminton powerhouse CN from sweeping them clean!
    i will bet my year's salary on that never going to happen.

  11. #11
    Regular Member V1lau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    375
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MilGauss View Post
    Adcock and Bankier will collect their golds in the MD and prevent badminton powerhouse CN from sweeping them clean!
    I don't think they will be able to beat Cai/Fu in MD, they have a better shot a XD!
    Like the previous comments, I would take that bet! They have had a good run in WC, but Ma Jin and Zhao are both better than Bankier and Adcock smash is not good enough to threaten Xu or Zhang

    To the original post's topic, China can?: Yes , China will?: Men's doubles will probably be their stumbling block since there are a lot of good teams. China 3 gold and either lose in MS or MD

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    coming to a court near you...
    Posts
    28,035
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MilGauss View Post
    Adcock and Bankier will collect their golds in the MD and prevent badminton powerhouse CN from sweeping them clean!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    i will bet my year's salary on that never going to happen.
    Especially in MD

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    coming to a court near you...
    Posts
    28,035
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    CHN takes WS and WD. Almost no doubt in my mind.

    CHN XD can blow hot and cold but I am quite certain it's secure for them.

    Which leaves MS and MD. I would hate to make a prediction on these 2 disciplines

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NorCal, United States
    Posts
    865
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Chen Long has shown he has been able to overthrow Lee Chong Wei. I think Lee Chong Wei is the only person who can stop Lin Dan. Right now, I think it mostly favors Lin Dan.

    Mens Doubles is very competitive but Cai/Fu are doing extremely well this year. Too bad Chai/Guo aren't a more dominating pair to help Cai/Fu.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Nope, I don't think CHN can sweep all 5 gold medals. Korea and Indonesia can do something to stop them

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,876
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaCYS View Post
    Nope, I don't think CHN can sweep all 5 gold medals. Korea and Indonesia can do something to stop them
    I will add Malaysia to that. I say CHN will only get 2 golds from WS and WD.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Badmintonshire
    Posts
    1,563
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    it's not a matter of "can" or "cannot", it's a matter of chance.

    they just did it in London for this year's WC, rite?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 27
    : 12-18-2011, 09:51 PM
  2. Japan Open: Will China Team Clean Sweep All The Titles Again???
    By danielwong in forum Bitburger / China Masters / Japan Open 2010
    Replies: 101
    : 09-27-2010, 02:50 AM
  3. [BWF] China in historic sweep
    By cxytdn in forum German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2009
    Replies: 14
    : 03-10-2009, 08:51 AM
  4. Mighty China sweep all five titles in HK
    By ants in forum Hong Kong Open / China Open / Chinese Taipei Open 2005
    Replies: 2
    : 11-07-2005, 11:55 AM
  5. What chance 5 China golds?
    By dlp in forum Olympics ATHENS 2004
    Replies: 10
    : 03-09-2004, 03:10 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •