Can and will China sweep all 5 golds?

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by CantSmashThis, Sep 16, 2011.

1. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

I have a feeling a lot of people will say no, but if we look at reality, they showed us that they can do it and they are right now on full course to do so. They've shown us twice at World Championships that they can step their game up and do it.

Women Singles is dominated by the Chinese. Unfortunately they are only allowed 3 players, but as long as Wang Shixian, Wang Yihan and Wang Xin are in good condition, they can beat out most of the competition and have at least once Chinese in the final.

Womens Doubles; Where do I even begin? I believe their #1 WD pair lost only once together in their entire career and that was against another Chinese pair? Correct me if I'm wrong and that has changed.

Mixed: They have some very solid Mixed teams and Nan Zhang and Yunlei Zhao can take care of most of the competition. If Chen Xu/Ma Jin gets drawn on the other side of the bracket, then that will be perfect for the Chinese to eliminate most of their foes from both sides of the bracket.

Men Singles: Lin Dan has shown us at World Championship that he is still at the top. LCW brought him to a close game, but couldn't close it out. He's still a heavy favorite to win the gold. (Don't get me wrong, I'm more of a Chong Wei fan) Right now, not that many can keep up with these two and I believe that it will be pretty certain that it will be LCW and LD in the finals (barring any injury)

Mens Doubles: Cai and Fu have been playing really well together as of late and they are hard to stop right now. If Mathias and Carsten play things right, they might have a good chance. LYD/JJS haven't been doing so well lately, so unless they can pull things together, I don't think they can overthrow Cai and Fu. Another big threat is Ko/Yoo who have been doing really well as of late in tournaments.

Just my 2 cents into this. I wanna hear your opinions and whether you guys agree or disagree. The way I see it, China is looking to be at the top of the podium in all 5 events at next year's Olympics. But hey, it's almost a year away and there's still lots of time for someone to overthrow them.

2. miksss

miksss Regular Member

I think no clean sweep. In OG 2008, CHN won 3, MD goes to INa and XD goes to KOR. In AG 2010, CHN won 3 in individual event, MD goes to INA and XD goes to KOR. IMO, in OG 2012, XD and MD won't go to CHN. If playing normal and consistent, Towi/Butet will be a big threat for ZN/ZYL. And in MD, Kido/Hendra might be a threat too, they are so unpredictable, no one expect them to win AG due to bad results prior to AG, but they win it, others pair like Bona/Ahsan,Koo/Yoo,LYD/JJS will be a competitive contender too. Well, just my opinion

3. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

we are just nuts, aren't we?
    just wonder any other sports already into the OLY predictions mode already!

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

OK, another prediction: table tennis - China stuffs everybody;). Back to badminton...

CHN will get WD and WS, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind - their squad is just too deep - and MS is relying on LCW to deny them, but I don't think anything else is locked up by any means.

Ko/Yoo are, IMO, the most promising MD pair at the moment, and I may bet actual money on them getting a medal, but my dearest wish is that JJS/LYD come away with something before they get split up. XD... anybody's guess, but another fiver on LYD/HJE getting a coin:).

5. MilGauss

MilGauss Regular Member

Adcock and Bankier will collect their golds in the MD and prevent badminton powerhouse CN from sweeping them clean!:cool:

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Will this be before or after Andrew Smith gets his MS gold?:p

I doubt Ad/Ban will be seeded by the time 2012 rolls around, meaning they'll have to get through all four thousand Chinese pairs. In addition, I'm betting Zhang/Zhao and Xu/Ma will be in opposite halves of the draw, so the winners (if they're not either of those) will have to beat BOTH.

7. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Milgauss, I can smell money...I bet you real money on this anytime. Adcock is weak link, I say they would not even medal in OLY12.

Mark A, OLY rules pit 2 players/pair from same country on opposite halves, I think, so you arwe correct.

8. Koyori

Koyori Regular Member

I think it is no guarantee for the MD, Cai and Fu must maintain excellent form throughout 2012 or else Korea will take it.

WS : definitely the top 3 seed from China will get it.

MS: Hope Lin Dan don't pull out from "sickness". LCW also stand high chance to fight with Lin Dan for Gold.

9. MilGauss

MilGauss Regular Member

MS and WS is CN's already!

MD? Zhang/Zhao?:rolleyes: I would not back CA/IB if I thought Xu/Ma will be on the opposite side of the net... It is still a long ways. Stay tuned.;)

Doesn't matter if CA/IB are unbacked. Definitely, I don't think Zhang/Zhao (they aren't as fierce as Xu/Ma) will survive the draw halfway.:) Again, it's still a long ways too go. We'll get there when nearer, alright?:)

Btw OTB, Mark A seemingly is playing with his figures of speech (regarding four thousand, decrepits I guess:D).:)

#9 MilGauss, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  10. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

i will bet my year's salary on that never going to happen.

11. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    I don't think they will be able to beat Cai/Fu in MD, they have a better shot a XD! :)
    Like the previous comments, I would take that bet! They have had a good run in WC, but Ma Jin and Zhao are both better than Bankier and Adcock smash is not good enough to threaten Xu or Zhang

To the original post's topic, China can?: Yes , China will?: Men's doubles will probably be their stumbling block since there are a lot of good teams. China 3 gold and either lose in MS or MD

12. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Especially in MD ;)

13. madbad

madbad Regular Member

CHN takes WS and WD. Almost no doubt in my mind.

CHN XD can blow hot and cold but I am quite certain it's secure for them.

Which leaves MS and MD. I would hate to make a prediction on these 2 disciplines

14. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Chen Long has shown he has been able to overthrow Lee Chong Wei. I think Lee Chong Wei is the only person who can stop Lin Dan. Right now, I think it mostly favors Lin Dan.

Mens Doubles is very competitive but Cai/Fu are doing extremely well this year. Too bad Chai/Guo aren't a more dominating pair to help Cai/Fu.

15. JoshuaCYS

JoshuaCYS Regular Member

Nope, I don't think CHN can sweep all 5 gold medals. Korea and Indonesia can do something to stop them

16. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I will add Malaysia to that. I say CHN will only get 2 golds from WS and WD.

17. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

it's not a matter of "can" or "cannot", it's a matter of chance.

they just did it in London for this year's WC, rite?

18. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

Can China clean sweep all 5 golds?

Yes, of course they can, same as the other 7 countries that has players in all 5 individual events as it stands now, namely KOR, TPE, INA, JPN, DEN, GER & RUS.

But will they? 64,000 dollars question and all I can say is only 1 country has the realistic chance of doing so.

my assessments, to be review later;

100% for 1 or more
    99% for 2 or more
    75% for 3 or more
    50% for 4 or more, and
    less than 10% for all 5.

#18 AlanY, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  19. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

my guess for CHN's chance to win gold medals in OG12:
    99% for WS
    99% for WD
    65% for MS (35% for LD, 30% for CL, 30% for LCW, 5% for others, therefore 65% for CHN)
    65% for XD
    40% for MD (40% for CY/FHF, 40% for LYD/JJS, 20% for the rest)

therefore chance for CHN to sweep all 5 golds
    = 0.99x0.99x0.65x0.65x0.4
    = about 16.6%

#19 Jonc108, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  20. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    XD is the most difficult to predict, since there are so many possibilities (from both Asia and Europe)... there are at least 6 or 7 pairs who can get into the final...

The possibilities are:

1. ZN/ZYL
    2. Xu/Ma
    3. Natsir/Ahmad
    4. LYD/[and whoever]
    5. one other Korean pair... either Ko or Yo
    6. Nielson/Pedersen... the pair have beaten ZN/ZYL consistently... and have beaten Xu/Ma recently..
    7. Tao/Tian... but they may not qualify, since China can only send two pairs...

it is extremely hard to say who will win XD gold since all the Asian pairs also played in MD or WD...