Tennis and Badminton??

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Kyoko_fukada87, May 28, 2003.

1. Kyoko_fukada87

Kyoko_fukada87 Regular Member

I play 2 different sports one is badminton and one is tennis . well after i have starting to play tennis my arm got stronger but then thing is that when i play tennis i always use my wrist not my arm so.. i always hurt my wrist . is there anyway that i can prevent it???

2. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    simple, stop playing tennis! :D

3. Kyoko_fukada87

Kyoko_fukada87 Regular Member

but then i want to play tennis too

4. Traum

Traum Regular Member

I used to play both tennis and badminton as well, but as I became a little more serious with badminton, I found that whenever I switch between the two sports, my strokes and techniques would get all mixed up with traces of badminton while I'm playing tennis, and traces of tennis whenever I play badminton. It was having a very negative impact on both of my games, and I was especially prone to injuries when I play tennis.

Personally, I don't think the two sports mix well. For me, tennis requires a lot more brawl and raw power, while badminton has significantly more finesse involved. In the end I chose badminton over tennis.

-Rick

5. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

This is called negative transfer. This is when a previously learnt movement hinders the development of the next. Badminton is a common problem when switching from badders to Tennis. This is because the motor programmes created for a movement involve the flicking of the wrist as a sub routine. Therefore, everytime you play a racket sport, the recalling of a motor programme to strike the ball/shuttle will involve the flicking of the wrist, which is bad for tennis.

Matt

6. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Sorry to tell ya this but, you're going to have to pick one. Tennis requires a stiff wrist (Arm sport), and badminton requires a really loose wrist. It's really hard switching back and fourth especially from badminton to tennis since you might even like injur your wrist since it's so loose.

You'll also get very mixed up with the tactics and stuff.

7. legal strike

legal strike Regular Member

and chances of getting tennis elbow very high!

8. jayes

jayes Regular Member

Badminton specialty selling strings, grips, shuttl
    Since you like both sports, you can try both hands - One for badminton and the other one for tennis. It helps me to shorten my adjustment time.

Good Luck.

9. Californian

Californian Regular Member

Bowlers can use a wrist brace that is designed to keep the wrist locked in a straight position. Perhaps you could use something like that for tennis. A tennis pro shop or a good sporting goods store should have something.

You might check with a racquet sports store that sells to both badminton and tennis and find a pro you can ask about the problem. I've known people who can successfully switch.

It's never been a problem for me--I don't go near tennis. The best advantage of badminton over tennis is that when you miss a shot, you just bend down and pick up the shuttle--you don't have to go chasing after it across three courts.;)

10. ronk

ronk Regular Member

I started with badminton but I did take up tennis for a while. I killed my wrist and shoulder and now only play badminton. I tend to use wristy strokes in tennis which is a big no no unless you have a wrist like the terminator.

Ron

11. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Maybe you prefer tennis more though... choose one... if you prefer tennis to badminton then play it, no use playing a sport you don't enjoy very much compared to stopping a sport you enjoy. :)

12. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Well, I guess you can Badminton as usual, but play tennis as a regular sport.
    Just don't push yourself too hard....otherwise you might get injured badly.

Try this ratio:
    Badminton:Tennis=7:3

13. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    I also play both sports but now the ratio of badminton and tennis is 9:1 respectively, as I only play tennis during the summer about once a month and well, in Boston, MA, summer isn't that long. :D I do not know anyone who can successfully play well in both sports because the "negative transfer" thing that matt said is pretty strong and you can often tell if someone playing badminton has played tennis recently or not and vice versa. I know this one guy who wears brace that basically restrict his wrist movement during tennis play but then again, his wrist is really stiff as well in badminton. I don't know, no good ways around it, just pick one sport or the other I guess.

14. Jayaram

Jayaram New Member

Computer Engineer
    having payed tennis for a decade and switched over to Baddy about 7 years ago, I have relatively adapated well. It takes time getting used to one sport, but since both are racquet sports they are much easier to adapt. Opt for a lighter racquet in tennis and do some shadow drills before moving on to the courts. Most south american players are "wristy" in tennis. my 2 cents ;)

15. klaphat

klaphat Regular Member

My 2 cents worth

I agree that there is a high risk of negative transfer if you try to combine Tennis and badminton.

However, in my opinion it is possible to combine the two.

I started playing both tennis and badminton around the age of 6 and I grew up with both sports usually playing tennis outdoor in the summer and badminton indoor in the winter.

Around the age of 10 and all the way through my teens different coaches tried to convince me to give up "the other" sport, because they argued that it would be impossible to combine.. they did not see a current problem, but they wanted me to focus..

I decided to continue with both sports.. I was best at badminton and therefore naturally focused on that.. playing it more and more.. but I never gave up tennis.. I also took curses in coaching others.. so I am now a certified coach in both badminton and tennis.. not that I coach anyone these days.. but this has given me a lot of experience in identifying the problems with combining the two sports.. and my guess is that the primary reason why I feel I have been able to combine the two.. is that I started in such an early age..

I'm not saying it is impossible to start with one of the two sports and then take the other one up much later.. but I am saying that such an approach must be extremely difficult.. because there are so important differences between the two sports.. between the way move.. the way you swing to hit the shuttle and the tennis ball.. and in many other ways..

BUT.. if anybody should feel like trying to combine the two.. why not try it out.. maybe it will also work for you.. and I sure still enjoy both..

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Probably it's the individual hime/herself that is most important. I've played tennis before and was pretty OK. However, just concentrated on badminton because it was easier to find courts all year round, asians play it a lot (social side) and smashing was cool!

Some individuals can combine the two, maybe most cannot without some interference in the stroke technique.

17. ArchDevil145

ArchDevil145 Regular Member

student
    You earn a lot more money in tennis than in badminton but I suggest you stick to what you desire and not just for the prize money.

18. Californian

I asked someone who plays and coaches both how to handle the changes. He said to just play both a lot (or equally).

If badminton and tennis don't mix so well, what about badminton and racquetball, or badminton and squash? Aren't the strokes more similiar, although in RB and squash, you prefer to hit the ball when it is low?

19. Californian

I don't think we'll ever see any top tennis pros--like the Williams sisters--pull a Michael Jordan-type switch (basketball to baseball) and announce they are retiring from tennis to play professional badminton.

20. ArchDevil145

ArchDevil145 Regular Member

student
    Yep. That will really be a great loss in tennis.

#20 ArchDevil145, Jun 1, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2003