friends

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by zerochillnet, May 29, 2003.

1. zerochillnet

zerochillnet Regular Member

I HAVE A MAJOR PROBLEM
    I play good on people i don't know and with people i do i keep thinking that i have to be nice i'm not good or anything its juz that its hard to play good when i'm playing my friends/best friends... especially in trials WHAT SHOULD I DO??

2. jayes

jayes Regular Member

Badminton specialty selling strings, grips, shuttl
    When you play with your friends, you might want to change your attitude and play like you don't know them. Think of them as another opponents to be conquered. ;) Perhaps this will help you play better...

Another reason is perhaps your friends know the tactics that you are employing when you play against them and they know how to exploit your weakness. Thus you lose ...

3. TTT

TTT Regular Member

Hm....I think you play well against people you don't know because you are uncertain of their abilities. That uncertainty forces you to perform better to increase the chances of winning. Oh the other hand, if you are playing with your friends, that uncertainty isn't there since you know what their level is.

If you think that you have to be nice, then you are not taking the tournament seriously. In a tournament, I think you are supposed to compete with each other. ;)

If you are just referring to recreational games, then just forget about if you are good or not and have fun....:)

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If u talking about a rec. game, with some friends who are rookies in badminton, then, I guess there's no point to feel bad. Overall, just consider it as social gathering, and have some fun together. Take easy on them, once a while, show a little bit trick shot to bring in some surprise. Hopefully, some of them will like this sport, and join our community.

However, if u talking about competitive game (tourny), then, that's a different story. If u r better than them, they should know they need to work harder to catch up. U definitely deserve to win, and u can teach them and give them some hint off court. If just giving them easy point, and make them think like, hey, I am not that bad, still force deuce every time, then, it will be bad for them in a long run. They will mis-place themselves skill vise, and harder to gain motivation to improve.

5. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Lol... I know what you mean. Whenever I play with friends I tend to be more relaxed... I'll give chances... but my friends aren't that good so even without smashes they still can lose... it's just a game... right???

6. valourarc

valourarc Regular Member

Professional
    Agreed! If you're playing at a club, no point in getting upset in losing. Everyone (well, almost everyone) is there to have fun. If I'm playing someone who I know can't handle my smash, I won't use it with my full strength (just because it's kinda stupid and pointless for both sides). Instead, I concentrate on playing consistent.

7. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    It's hard to be ruthless playing against friends but hey, that's what winning is about. Not telling you to smash shots back between their eyes or anything, just play aggressive and you know, you guys will still be friends after the game, just not during the game.

8. ArchDevil145

ArchDevil145 Regular Member

student
    You know its just a game so there's no need to worry about losing. If you give them a 15-0, it's okay. It just shows that you are better and you are ready to help them in their flaws.

9. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    using commas and periods will make u a better person. :D

i have the same problem as you, its just u have to concentrate more if u're laughing with ur friends.

10. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    well like my friend says "it helps them to want to train".... she always says this after she owns my sorry a$$... so beating ur friends shouldn't really be something u want to avoid.... or else, wouldn't ur friend not want to beat you??

as for me, yes, i play worse against friends...actually, i remember about a year ago when my coach told me i was too nice to everyone i played....she told me that i should be more of an ass... but, right now, i think i'm doing a good job of that :D

if you want to play just as well against ur friends, just think of all the ways they've annoyed you, and then use that :D

11. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Man, I'm always so scared of being such an ass to friends. I think the last thing I'd ask for is them being pissed at me at my favourite sport! I play normal to friends I guess, not too easy or too competitive, or at least that's the way I see it. But in a singles games it's definitely more competitive.

12. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Well, if your friends are not as good as you, you can help them out and teach them your badminton skills!
    If they are good, then I guess you just don't need to worry about anything and open your fire!:)

Also, being nice and playing well can be together, just remember to not ot smash right onto their faces :)

13. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

But the worse is when the coach says, loser runs 5 laps and stuff like that. It happened to me once, and the girl I was playing against had never ever beaten me before... I even CONSIDERED losing so as not to embarass her, I decided to give her a chance... no smashes, drop-shots but she still lost... oh well.

14. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Tough but I think your coach's comment was more or less to motivate her to play harder assuming your coach knows her level and just wants to push her.

15. ArchDevil145

student
    Did that girl notice that you were going easy on her?

16. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

hmm..

i rarely have this problem......... usually they play properly and i also try my best........you know... sometimes i make mistakes...:eek:

17. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

No, he's actually a teacher in the badminton club, that time it was just formed and he told us to play a few games first, then he said loser run 5 laps etc. Anyway... I've seen how hard she tries to win me, but she just can't seem to do it. It's like, I'm the one controlling the game, deciding how many points she scores etc... But lately I've been giving her tips on her weak points, helping her game etc. because there's a tournament coming up.

Well... I don't think so. Because she was really trying her best, rushing for the shots, not really paying attention to the KIND of shots I gave.

I forgot to mention... we kinda played that game with me 'handicapped'. I gave her 5 points to start off with.

18. ArchDevil145

student
    :) Good for you.

19. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Whoa. If you mean good that the girl lost I'll never want to play against you. :p JK!

20. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    It's hard to be serious when playing with friends. One tends to joke when serving, or after-shot humour (laughter after a good rally that involved all four players running all over the court, returning impossible shots again and again in one spectacular rally).

But to me, a game is a game, be it friends or strangers. Something about the competitive attitude that I have on the court I guess. To play to win is good, but it is bad when it becomes a 'personal' thing.

Thus, it's important to balance competition and goodwill so that the game ends well, and friendship remains well.

Have yet to play with strangers, but I think I'd be even more quiet and more calculative in the head aka more serious compared to when playing with friends.

Hey, enjoy the game.