Backhand Short Serve - Which way to lean?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Quelray, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Quelray

Quelray Regular Member

Highschool
    I'm not sure if this really matters or not, but I was watching the Japan Tsunami Charity Match between LCW and Taufik Hidayat on youtube and I noticed something.

When Taufik serves, his left foot, which is behind him, is slightly off the ground, and he seems to be leaning forward for his backhand short serve.

When LCW serves, both his feet are on the ground flat and level. LCW also seems to have more of an upright posture instead of leaning forward like Taufik's.

Does this mean anything, and are there advantages to LCW or Taufik's posture? I currently use Taufik's so I lean forward a bit when I short serve.

#1 Quelray, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  2. visor

visor Regular Member

Personal preference. Whichever gives you better stability or height advantage.

3. its me

its me Regular Member

Student
    i thought it's a technical fault when you lift off one of your foot at point of contact? (when serving) unless if he lift his foot off after the contact..

4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    you must have both feet touching the floor and stationary at contact (not allowed to slide your feet). However, the topic poster is saying that taufik does not have his back foot flat on the floor, he is leaning forwards and hence the heel lifts off the floor. This is not a fault.

5. its me

its me Regular Member

Student
    oh ok i thought his foot completely lifts off the ground slightly.

6. Quelray

Quelray Regular Member

Highschool
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUWNr2yAaL8

This is the video where I noticed it.

If you watch Taufik's back foot (left), his heel is off the ground.
    Then if you watch Lee Chong Wei's back foot (also left), his heel is flat on the ground.

Just some clarification on what I meant by back foot off the ground. :D

And visor, thanks for the reply, I'm gonna see which one feels better when I play in a few days.

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Doubles: I have noticed many doubles players prefer to serve with a chest-on action, both feet at about the same distance from the net; I suppose it allows them to react faster, sideways and/or towards the net using chasses or split-drops. The player serving in doubles does not need to really bother about back-stepping; his partner is there to take care of the rest of the court.

Singles: Many players prefer to serve with the leading foot (the racquet-side foot) in front. This allows them to have a side-on aspect to the receiver, and they can then move freely to either side with the racquet hand freely leading the way, or they can also move backward equally quickly. If the front foot is slightly bent at the knee, it gives you a slight "spring" in your step as opposed to if your leg was fully straight; this is important to quicken reaction to the return. The bent knee also results in a slightly "leaning forward" appearance. However, you will notice that Taufik's back is kept almost perfectly straight; this "stillness" of posture allows for more accuracy while serving.

Hope this helps. E&OE... :D

8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Pic 1: just before he hits the bird:
    serve01.jpg

Pic 2: Just after he hits the bird.
    serve02.jpg

Notice his toe is still in contact with the ground. His left leg kinda swivels on the toe as he serves; but the leg does not move or slide. The toe is always in contact with the ground while the serve is being completed. Therefore, it is all good and legal! :D

9. Aurora_

Aurora_ Regular Member

Just a matter of preference. On a day when my serve hit the white stripe on the net on a 50-50 chance, I correct my shot by standing more upright (aka LCW style). On certain day when my serve went short, so I lean forward (aka TH style). At times, I stand further than usual.

Serve become second nature when you become good. For all we didn't know, they could be thinking of what shot to prepare and where to return when they serve :p