tragic end

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by jwu, May 29, 2003.

1. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Last night, the moment I've been dreading for finally happened. During a double's game, a smash was hit between my partner and I (both forehand shot, I am left-handed). Unfortunately, my partner didn't hear me say "I got it" as he swung after me and knocked my mp99 out of my hand and into the air. As I watch my racquet somersaulting gracefully through the air, I was really hoping someone would catch it but well, instead people on the other side of the net ran for cover and my racquet came crashing down to the ground. As luck would have it, the racquet cracked at the 1 o'clock position and that's the end of that. Anyway, time to find another racquet to play with.

2. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Least it was quick and painless for the racket...:(

3. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Oh man that sucks. Sucks that has to happen but that's life for ya. That has happened to me a couple of times but I guess since both our racquets were moving forward, it did minor to it.

4. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Paramedic: I am sorry, Sir, but there is nothing we can do. It's gone and I think it happened on impact with the other fellow. I am so sorry but maybe it would help knowing that it was quick and painless.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    jwu,

Feel very sorry about ur MP99. Well, that's why ppl call double games could be "racket's graveyard". Guess it's the time for u to move ur BK I960 to the "starting lineup"???

Actually, very similar thing happen to me last night. I was covering the front and was a little bit off balance, and my partner thought I could not cover a net shot, therefore, he ran to the front and try to smash. To his surprise (even mine own), I got to the spot on time, and applied a drive. Then, u know, a big clash (my babolat synchro vs his metal beast).

There's a paint chip (0.5 cm) around 1,2 o'clock position. However, I did not see the black graphite inside, but some white stuff. What is that, no idea. Anyway, seems the racket did not have any internal crack yet, otherwise, u will see my crying, too.

6. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Sheesh. Thought someone DIED out there! Lol. Anyway, sorry about your racquet... mine has a few scratches and I'm quite upset... can't imagine what I'll do if my racquet BREAKS!

7. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Maybe that white stuff is another coat of paint? I think my Forza has two layers of paint too but not positive.

8. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    thanks guys for the support there. i wish I could say it was quick and painless but seeing my racquet flying ~15 ft up in the air and float almost to the baseline of the other side of the court seem like a really long time for me at the moment. now I have the racquet wrapped up nicely and back in the original thermo bag that it came and will be kept and remembered. yeah, a little drastic i guess but the sentimental value is high, as anyone out there would probably feel the same way about his or her racquet.

yeah LB, the BK 960 is now in the starting lineup. Man I am kind of glad I wasn't using that racquet last night, or else I might have broken a brand new racquet. :rolleyes:

9. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    thats terrible Jwu

i know my swing power will probably be broken in doubles too.. (knock on wood)

but i dont' think it'll fly, it'll probably be hit by the partner. :( thats worse than flying through the air.

10. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    Do you have any local stores that can get it replaced for you? Often even clashes can get replaced. I replaced a mp100 that was broken from a clash, i just sent it to yonex, and i got a brand spankin new mp100 back ^^

11. ArchDevil145

ArchDevil145 Regular Member

student
    My sympathies pal. I know that must've sucked for you. But if it's any consolation, I know a friend who has experienced a similar (if not worse) case. In singles!

He wa playing good there but when he was about to do a smash, he tripped, landed on his back then broke his racket in two(cause he was trying to break his fall?!!)! From the grip to the cone and the shaft to the head. Lucky for him it was a very old school racket(WISH brand) so he didn't actually feel bad. Just embarrassed.:)

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I believe his racket is TW version. so...

Met jwu in LI Open last Sat. Guess I was the last few ones seeing his MP99 roaring on the court... geeezzz...

If any relatives going back to tw soon, maybe they can replace for u???

13. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    This is why I don't play doubles. But mixed doubles......i'll play anyday.:D

14. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

You never played mixed doubles style? :)

15. Cruxradio

Cruxradio Regular Member

Guess they never recovered from jet-lag
    I broke BOTH of my TW MP99's.
    My friend ended up taking them back to Yonex TW and he's still waiting (its been over 2 months now) for them to make some kind of decision.
    I only had them for 2 weeks before they both broke.
    I'm now using Blackknight and have had some severe clashes, but no dents are even visible on these racquets.

16. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Yeah LB's right, my mp99 is TW and I already talked to some friends back in taiwan and probably will ship the racquet back to them and they will try to get me a replacement but of course no guarantee. I might however be able to get another mp99 from the same store that I got the last one for a cheaper price, kind of like a "replacement" fee, that's what the store owner told my friend. Might give that a try if I can't get a brand new one from yonex thru warranty. not as depressed now as I was couple days ago and now I'll be playing the Mass. state tournament this weekend with either the black knight or the victor racquet. It's a good thing I've been using them in the past on occasions so the feel of them aren't awkward.

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Nice to know u have the "connections". Yeah, if u can get another one with sig. reduced price, somehow, it can release ur pain a little bit.

Good luck with ur Mass. State Tourny. This time, I don't think I can cheer for u next to the court side, but at least, u don't have to worry about me using camera flash all around, either. :D

18. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    *waddles forth*

WTH??? I play Mixed doubles all the time, if not everytime i get a chance to play badminton. Well neway, ima go do some errands.

*waddles away*

19. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

You misread my post. Since you said, "This is why I don't play doubles. But mixed doubles......i'll play anyday." Assuming that you get less or no clashes at all in mixed.

20. fizk1970

fizk1970 Regular Member

For jwu

jwu

I noticed that you are from Boston,MA. Where did you buy your MP99 from?

-fizk