From BG65Ti to WHAT???

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by ah.b|ack, Sep 19, 2011.

1. ah.b|ack

ah.b|ack Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    I've been using BG65Ti for quite a while, so it's strange for me to see so little post about BG65Ti. I think it's a "not bad" string, it fits into my play style quite nicely, as I'm a hard hitter in double.

However, I've been playing less for the last few years, mainly is because all the kaki went to uni or started to work (that include me...)

I did pick it up again when I was studying over sea in uk, which is last year until this year June.
    While I was in UK, I broke 3 bg65Ti (strung at 28lbs, with Yonex MP25) in 4 months... I rarely misshit though...

Ever since I came to singapore, I've played once a week for 2 weeks already, and I broke another bg65Ti on my VT70...

So, for the real question... Which string should I switch to? As I heard quite a few comments on a few strings, can anyone recommend me strings that are more powerful bg65Ti? I'm ok with other brands of string. Is there any Pro out there compared bg65Ti with other strings?? The other factor that needs to be considered, is the durability. I'm a low paid overwork poor graphic designer... restring once a month is at the most of my budget...

PS: I currently using a N50II with LN AP101N at 26lbs... really didnt like the string... maybe there's tension loss, but I didnt like it...

2. visor

visor Regular Member

If you haven't tried it yet, you have to try bg80. Probably yonex's most popular string.

3. maxp74

maxp74 Regular Member

Architect
    BG65 will probably last a bit longer, but it has very different feel and not more power. BG70 or NBG95 are my best Yonex recommendations. BG70 might last longer than BG65ti, but doesnt have more power. NBG95 has more power and has about the same lastability. You should also try Zymax 70. It should have more power and last longer according to the fans.

BG80 is very good but will not last as long as BG65ti.

4. ah.b|ack

ah.b|ack Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    Maybe should string VT70 with bg80 and N50II with bg65ti, to test out something

5. ah.b|ack

ah.b|ack Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    how about other brands like Li-Ning, Victor or Ashaway? I heard quite a lot speculation on Zymax strings. It is on par or even better than yonex strings? how about the price between all of them? which i mean same range but cheaper in brand.

6. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

Well if you are a power hitter and don't really need as much "feel"... Try the NBG series... Currently I have NBG98 on my VT80 and NBG95 on my AT900P...

The 98's give me a bit more control... So when I DO use dropshots (terrible at them)... I can position it better... The 95's feels somewhat softer but packs a WALLOP!!! For pure smashing, I enjoy the 95's a lot more.

Durability wise.... I have not broken my NBG strings after 3 months of play... 3 times a week... 3 hours per session. So if longevity is important... Give the NBGs a try...

Also, I've used BG66UM for same period of time. Interesting tidbit is that both my friend and I got it strung the same time and it broke on the same day :p

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Victor vs850 is very nice. Powerful, excellent feel. Seems quite durable. But need to string 2 lb higher as it doesn't retain initial tension well. .....Zymax 67 and 70 are also powerful, but need to string a high tension for feel, otherwise feels spongy. Incredible durability and tension retention.

8. ah.b|ack

ah.b|ack Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    WoOZY
    I thought Nanogy gives "softer" feel if compared to BG... Does NGB95 really pack a punch? I'm not looking for repulsive, just more on the "hard" feel...
    I dont think I'll try bg66um, as i heard quite a lot regarding how short-life it is...

Visor
    Im currently playing at 26 lbs, string v850 2lbs higher... hmm... Would it kills me?! XD
    For Zymax 67 and 70, by high tension you meant, how high? 30+??!

9. visor

visor Regular Member

If you like hard feel, bg80 is made just for you! No other string on the market feels as hard as bg80! ...... Vs850 is medium feel. If you want 26 lbs, what i mean is you have to string it at 28 lbs, then playing over the course of 2-3 weeks it'll end up lower to around 26. ..... Zymax 67: if you do try it, make sure to get version 2, which has better feel than the original.

10. ah.b|ack

ah.b|ack Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    how to different-shape the V2 Zymax 67?? Zymax 70 no good?? How is BG80 compared to BG85??

11. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    If the main concern is with durability, I definitely don't think you want to go to a thinner string, as that will only make it worse (unless you lower your string tension as well).
    Ashaway ZyMax 70 and Powergut 65 are both the same thickness as BG65Ti (0.70mm) and similar in durability, but they play much better IMO. Yonex BG55 (0.73mm) is a little thicker than BG65Ti and should be more durable, but it may not play quite as well (I haven't tried it myself).
    I've only tried NBG95 once and it played great. As far as durability goes, all I can say is that it lasted longer than the racket :'(

12. ah.b|ack

ah.b|ack Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    Well it does make sense to choose thicker string, I've never tried thin string either. Powergut 65 is from what brand? Roughly how much do those strings (bg80, zymax 67 and 70, v850, nanogy 95, Powergut 65) cost?

13. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Powergut 65 is another Ashaway string. I don't know how much any of them cost in Singapore, but I find that the cost of labour is a lot higher than the cost of the actual string, so it doesn't make much sense going for cheaper strings.

14. ah.b|ack

ah.b|ack Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    I never knew such circumstance existed XD But anyhow, would really like to know the price range compared with all the strings mentioned. Something like "bg80>Zymax67>" thingy should be nice, for the actual price I'll find out myself.

15. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

The problem with strings is that it is YOU who decides what is better... Not someone else... My opinion is... Try them all and see which one you like the most!

One string might work for others and it might not work for you... But now that you have a list of strings people recommend, go try them out...

16. visor

visor Regular Member

Don't go for thick strings; numb feeling. Zymax 67 v.2 (black package) should be perfect for you as it has incredible durability and tension retention, and still has good feel. Of course, bg80 has the best hard feel but probably only last you 1/3 of the time as zm67. Here in Canada, bg80 is $10 while zm67 is $6.

17. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    Really, even though the BG80 is thicker than the Z67 (0.67), albeit by 0.01mm? How would you rate the Zymax range in terms of feel ie soft or hard?

18. visor

visor Regular Member

Yep, bg80 has vectran fibres making it one of the hardest feeling strings around. Some people swear by it, some don't like the harshness (me for example. :) ). Zymax 67/70 are medium feeling. Not like bg65 which is soft.

19. ah.b|ack

ah.b|ack Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    strung my vt70 with bg80, gonna try it tmr!!!! WOOHOO!!! Feedback i shall give... (sound effect "shark's coming")

20. ah.b|ack

ah.b|ack Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    Well now I understand why a lot of people fall for bg80, the feel is really nice!! Gonna stick with it for a while.

For a lot of people do like the hard feel for the bg80, the smashing is really enjoyable. The sound and the feeling when you transfer your power from your arm to the racket to the string and finally to the shuttle, is speechless... (I almost bust into tears when I had my first smash with it just now... NAH that's too exaggerated XD)

However, what i enjoy the most is defending all the incoming smashes. A lot of hard smashes from my opponents today, the feeling of returning the smashes is really great!! I got more control on the shuttle and it's quite easy for me to place the shuttle wherever i want (COUNTER SMASHES!!!)

Another thing is, the cross court slicing. I had a few bad experience for the last 2 sessions I played with them... (Well not a few... all the slicing i did barely made it over the net...) I was using bg65Ti, which a lot of BC members complaint about the slippery feeling of it (I had the same experience with my N50II, strung with AP101N). By switching to bg80, I really gain a lot more control (yes, A LOT MORE) on the slicing, even the pushes and net shot were in great control. Gain some point with the cross court slicing YOO!!

For the time being, I shall stick with bg80. I might change to V850 or Zymax 67/70 when the string breaks. Thanks to all the pros, who contribute their precious opinions!!