BaD Line Calls and Living With It

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Pakito, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Let's face it. Even in tennis, the game supposedly invented by people with good and polite mannerisms polished until shinier than their shoes - is befouled by the famous %$#@! John McEnroe. He, for one, is a person who really can't stand BAD LINE CALLS. Not that I admire his boldness in stating so, but the fact is BAD LINE CALLS are well, BAAADDDDD.... TO THE BONE.

Now that tennis has the 'hawk eye', these things are a thing of the past, if not lessen a whole lot.

As for badminton, the reason given was that hawk eye is too expensive to deploy for the sport.

If a bad line call is made in favor of the nationality that is holding the tournament, it is deemed as favouritism.

If bad line call is made by the umpire whose nationality is different form the players, then it is just being a plain BAD LINE CALL.

But, sometimes to the players who are being given a bad line call playing in tense and 'bloody' crucial stages of the game, the term 'bad call' is just an understatement to them. But, we as supporters and players, have to LIVE WITH IT.

The really stupid ill feeling that befalls badly on everyone is this.
    If the spectators watching at home can see (really clearly sometimes) that an insanely BAD line call was made when video playback is seen on tv, don't we sometimes feel that the guy sitting in the chair is not doing a good job? And if the call being made is the one being detrimental to the player we are supporting, we feel equally bad too if not pissed off.

But wait. Here comes my point.

So is it not a good idea, that playback be shown to the umpire as well? Oh sure he has too concentrate on umpiring the game, so put a tv up there for him to view 'playback' as well.

What do you guys (oops gals too) think?

#1 Pakito, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  2. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Let's face it. Even in tennis, the game supposedly invented by people with good and polite mannerisms polished until shinier than their shoes - is befouled by the famous %$#@! John McEnroe. He, for one, is a person who really can't stand BAD LINE CALLS. Not that I admire his boldness in stating so, but the fact is BAD LINE CALLS are well, BAAADDDDD.... TO THE BONE.

Now that tennis has the 'hawk eye', these things are a thing of the past, if not lessen a whole lot.

As for badminton, the reason given was that hawk eye is too expensive to deploy for the sport.

If a bad line call is made in favor of the nationality that is holding the tournament, it is deemed as favouritism.

If bad line call is made by the umpire whose nationality is different from the players, then it is just being a plain BAD LINE CALL.

But, sometimes to the players who are being given a bad line call playing in tense and 'bloody' crucial stages of the game, the term 'bad call' is just an understatement when they themselves are playing 'tooth and nail'. But, we as supporters and players, have to LIVE WITH IT. 'Walk it off' is the term the americans say.

The really stupid ill feeling that befalls badly on everyone is this. If the spectators watching at home can see (really clearly sometimes) that an insanely BAD line call was made when video playback is seen on tv, don't we sometimes feel that the guy sitting in the chair is not doing a good job? The umpire can't see what we CAN see. How can a judge do his job without having seen the proof? And if the call made is detrimental to the player we are supporting, we feel equally bad too if not pissed off.

But wait. Here comes my point.

So is it not a good idea, that playback be shown to the umpire as well? Oh sure he has too concentrate on umpiring the game, so put a tv up there for him to view 'playback' as well. But only during disagreement so the tv won't distract the duties of the umpire. But the fact remains that having a tool to see 'the playback' is a crucial prerequisite for an umpire to judge fairly and accurately.

This is why we all feel we can 'umpire' the game better at home watching live tv than the umpire at the tournament. That is because we can see and the umpire CANNOT. (If playback is shown to the spectators watching and they can clearly see it was a mistake by the umpire, BOOING will ensue).

Maybe there is some technicality issue involve in putting up a tv/monitor beside the umpire or the service judge, but why can't the solution be polished/fine tuned from this idea?

What do you guys (oops gals too) think?

3. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

They are already considering to input a replay system for line calls in the near future. That is still currently being discussed.

And honestly, some line calls seem different to an umpire than to a line judge due to their position.

We'll see hopefully if there will be a replay system on line calls.

4. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

we shd forget about using technology for badminton for now..

u just look at the recent china masters..

most of the empires are from china n yet they are officiating the matches played by their fellow countryman...

since they wish to save money on getting more foreign empires....

what r the possibility that...they will spend more on technology?

n when u compare tennis game prizes with badminton.... u know how many digits or zeros of differences?

just look here
    recent tennis us open..
    http://www.usopen.org/en_US/about/history/prizemoney.html
    men winner gets..$1,800,000

compare this with badminton... just look at any of the bwf super series...
    the total prize money... is really.... disappointing..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_BWF_Super_Series

so each winner gets... how much? $20,000.00? or $30,000.00?

dun think we can compare tennis with badminton..

think the closest sport... one can compare is table tennis..
    http://www.ittf.com/_front_page/ittf1.asp?category=prize_money

t
    hey have similar prize money with badminton...

sigh....

5. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Good, at least that's a start. I wonder what's the holdup for?

6. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Think of this scenario:-

Dad: Son what kind of sport do you want to play professionally?

Son: Badminton, i love it.

Dad: Oh no, not badminton... it's full of bad line calls. And the money is not even as good as tennis.

Son: But I have the touch and the feel good feeling while playing badminton

Dad: Walk it off, don't say 'i told you so' when you are frustrated with bad line calls later.

7. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

its not about the money made from sport
    u look at soccer at the top level, they r well paid....

but they r oso bad calls at times..

what i mean is that ...if the existing tournament have so little money for their players or winners..

is it possible that they have more money to look into use of technology?

and for some sport... they see such bad calls or such controversy as part of their marketing strategy.... so that more people will talk about it n grow more interest..

another example...at another sport which pays well.....
    the formula 1...racing
    it is another sport with same controversy decisions..
    they change the rule almost every year...
    1 year can use slick tyre... another year... cannot....
    last time can refuel....now cannot.....
    and some of the calls by the race wardens... r simply.... out of this world..

i oso hope something... can be done with the help of technology...
    but... think it be quite hard...for now...

i wait for bwf to prove me wrong... bah..