Best way to lose weight?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by alexd953, Sep 22, 2011.

1. alexd953

alexd953 Regular Member

I was wondering what the best way to lose stomach fat is, and how I can effectively lose thigh fat and build muscle there. If anyone could help me, I'd be very grateful. Thanks!

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Regular, persistent, consistent burning of more calories than you take in.
    That sounds trite, but it is the crux of the matter.

Forget thigh masters and abdominal exercises to lose weight off specific areas. Fat is placed in certain places by your genetics. Strengthening a given muscle group does not preferentially eliminate fat in that area.

Beware of the urge to do heroic starvation diets and insane amounts of exercise in short bursts. To lose weight it needs to be steady long and regular aerobic exercise (walking, biking, swimming , hiking, running, aerobics) . Build up distance and duration as you go. Do it most days of the week.

And be patient. The first week of any regime, you will lose some weight. But the next several weeks you may be disappointed that the loss is less, or nil. The real payoff comes in about a month when the body finally realizes that your new level of exercise is not just a temporary fad, and that it will have to permanantly change its metabolism to fit the new reality. Then you'll see pounds drift away slowly but surely. :)

[Now that you've received this generic low tech advice, let the suggestions for fad diets and supplements begin! ]

Keep the faith and good luck!

3. RoBBoGaL

RoBBoGaL Regular Member

none
    Get some fat burning cream and apply on the area you want to slim down. Its will help to burn more fats when u excercise and tighten up the skin from looking sagging.

4. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Try Insanity or P90x.

5. carpediem

carpediem Regular Member

finance
    keep motivated
    more cardio sports/workouts
    less carbohydrates
    done:)

6. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    I lost 10 kgs in 2 months
    tips?
    healthy food, sport and less carb

healthy food: try not to eat food that use cooking oil to cook (that means cook without oil, or cook it with water)
    do not eat sweet food, or too salty food (because both will stimulate you to eat more)
    eat healthy food such as beef tenderloin, chicken breast, vegetables (broccoli, carrot, peas, onion, etc), fruits (any fruits would do but it is suggested not to eat fruits with high sugar level such as apple)
    main point is to eat healthy food with high proteins and fibers content to keep you full (bedause both, proteins and fibers are harder to digest which makes you feel full much longer)

sport: I only did badminton as my main sport (once or twice per week 3-4 hours each session)
    but it is suggested to do another sports (I'm just being too lazy)

less carb: change your main carb food
    what did you eat? bread, rice, or potato? it's not really good
    try rolled oat (oat that has not been processed (took pretty long to cook) so Quaker oat meal is out of question), or at least red rice (much higher fiber compared to normal rice)
    try not to eat too much carb at night and eat more protein

try to eat small portion, but often
    it is suggested to eat small portions of food 5 times a day
    why? because even if you eat 1 big portion, usually we are going to feel hungry again after 4 hours

hope this helps?

me: from 121.6 kgs to 110.7 kgs in 2 months

#6 Avenger, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  7. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

Hey Avenger that is really good going. I wouldn't mind some of your recipes ....

8. Nauroa

Nauroa Regular Member

IT Geek
    Good job and some very solid advice there Avenger. :)

My personal weight loss project has brought me from 125 kg down to 93 kg atm.

I've done it much the same way you describe so well. Hold back on the fat and carbs. Eat smaller meals with more protein (mainly chicken and fish) and lots of vegetables.

I've upped my exercise to 1½ hour, six times a week switching between cardio and strength exercises.
    Some of the exercises will soon be replaced with badminton training since I'm taking it back up now that I can actually now 10 km without dying. :p

9. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    wow, nice :)
    my target right now is 100kgs.. (I wonder if I could go lower than that, but I'm set with 100Kg goal if I can maybe 90 as my ideal weight is around 86kg (176cm tall))

I forgot about fish, best fish to consume would be salmon

there is nothing special with the food..
    for meat, cook it without oil (as in every meat, they have natural oil in their meat and it is much healthier)
    add small amount of salt if you cannot eat it
    or black pepper also good (don't put too much)

for the food, I cook garlic (cut it small) with water until it smells good (trust me, it will)
    add vegetables as you like (try something that does not need a lot of time to cook such as bean sprout, onion, broccoli, and peas) leave it for a moment until it's done, and take it out
    don't leave it too long as the vitamins will gone if you cook it for too long

for egg, use ratio 2 white and 1 yellow
    the yellow one is not really good as it has pretty high amount of cholesterol (and in many overweight people case, it is dangerous)
    sometimes you can also use 3 white and 1 yellow

boiled egg also works (but it is hard to eat..) eat the white only
    I ate around 2-3 eggs per day (usually for breakfast)

after you eat your main course, eat fruits, it will make you full for longer time

my sister always taught me, the purpose of this is not to eat less but to change your HABIT of eating which means to have better life style
    eating less will make you feel hungrier than normal. it might be works for first few weeks, but if you cannot hold it, normally it's not only you gain back your weight, but 95% of people (that trying to diet by eating less) would also gain extra weight (for example 120kgs, you diet and go down 10 kgs in one week, when you cannot hold it, you will eat, and most likely it will not stop in 120Kgs, usually it will go up for example to 125kgs)

you can also have free day.. for example sunday, you can eat your fav food (but remember don't eat too much by thinking: this is my free day and I will eat everything that I like)
    free day is vital because if not you will get bored with your routine healthy food

P.S: exercise will make this diet few times more effective than doing this without exercise

if you have good lifestyle, then the only thing you can do to lose more weight is by exercise..

#9 Avenger, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  10. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    get your partner to bring a taser. when you touch on the food. zap it. lol. ;)

11. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    Break big meals down into smaller meals, eat roughly 6 times a day, but small meals.
    Everytime you eat your body uses energy to store the food, this 'thermic effect of food' (better known as the warm feeling you get after eating a massive meal) can help raise your metabolic rate for longer during the day which results in more calories burned even before you add exercise to the equation.
    Also drink a lot more water, it acts as an appetite suppressant

12. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    P90X...that's what I'll be doing soon.

13. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

+1: the longer you make calories out > calories in,the more weight you will lose. To make sure it's mainly fat being lost you should probably add some weight training (doesn't have to be heavy, just regular).

You can't lose fat from specific areas - we're human beings, not camels:D.

14. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    you cannot lose fat from specific area but you can do a training at that area to tighten it
    for example your belly = push up

I did a lot of push up before, I have a good tight belly which hide my real weight lol..
    after that I did not do it anymore and my belly gets bigger and bigger..

#14 Avenger, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i am not qualified to advice the OP. but i do want to commend on the inspirational weight loss that some of you have managed. i don't think i would have the discipline to carry it out.

16. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    opps.. did I say push up?
    it should be SIT UP

sorry I am confused between the two

let me correct it

you cannot lose fat from specific area but you can do a training at that area to tighten it
    for example your belly = sit up

I did a lot of sit up before, I have a good tight belly which hide my real weight lol..
    after that I did not do it anymore and my belly gets bigger and bigger..

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i have two lumps of "car tire" at the side of my abs (if you can call those abs).

i think i am inspired by you guys to try to work it away.

18. ghooga

ghooga Regular Member

Bean Counter, Student
    If your aim is to get lighter and lighter, the best way is to do cardio exercises. Lifting weights will not help in this matter as muscle mass is heavier than fat itself and thus won't help when you go on the scale. For myself, I do lots of cardio in order to stay in shape as I don't wanna look bulky. I was around 76 - 78 kg at one point till I started taking up intense running on the treadmill 4 years ago. Haven't slowed down since and I run about 4 times a week covering about 8.5 km in 45 mins each time. After the run, I'll play a few rounds of singles game. These two activities really help in my case to stay in shape as I'm about 67 kg now and I'm 1.78 m.

19. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Do you mean "love handles"? :p
    That has to be the best euphemism in health: It's not extra flab ... it's a marital aid! :rolleyes:

This site is interesting: http://howtogetridoflovehandles1.com/
    The text on the webpage says all the right things about eating well and exercising and how there are no short cuts. However the ads peppered through the text are exactly about short-cut wonder cures for $15.95.

If you need advice from the web this site looks better: http://www.military.com/military-fitness/weight-loss/lose-love-handles

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    someone very experienced!