Back Pain - Right lower back

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by mamma, Sep 25, 2011.

Tags:
  1. mamma

mamma Regular Member

Hi,
    I have been having back pain towards the right lower back (Closer to the hip than the spine) which goes all the way around to my right groin area. The pain keeps increasing whenever I play (I am right handed) - particularly motions like picking up the shuttle from ground or shots that crunch my right abductor muscles or lean forward towards my right to pick a drop shot.
    Has anyone had similar problem? If so what have they done and what has / has not worked for them. After the game I come home and apply ice pack and also put some pain relieving cream but the pain seems to be there not too much but painful enough to give me a good motion and also continues when I don’t play

I have see some Chinese women’s national player on YouTube wearing some kind of a back support band and was wondering if anyone uses this kind of bands and if so what effect it has had. I started doing some core exercise and back exercise but it only resulted in more pain and so I have temporarily stopped them. Ppl have advised me to take a break from badminton but it is so difficult to take a break from the game I love- I am 38 yrs old :mad:

2. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Its time to take a break. Its sore when you flex or laterally flex because the muscle is too tight and being stretched to much. In the lower back, most pain is in the psis or sacrioiliac joint (small of back), usually a nice knot there and my guess is because of pain into groin, the iliac crest also has a good few knots in it!

Its time to rest it completely, see a physio or sports masseur. Jus make sure they do massage (hands on work). They need to get the knots out of ur back. This will ease the pain.

3. mamma

mamma Regular Member

Hi GingerPhil,
    Thanks for your comments - I have been dreading breaks but looks like that what I need to do, I am going on a month and half vacastion hopefully that will get me away from badminton. Thanks for your suggestions

4. visor

visor Regular Member

If you've had this for a while, you definitely need to get that looked at by a physician or physiotherapist at the least. Sounds like your hip joint if the pain goes to the groin area. May need an xray.

5. eudox

eudox Regular Member

Hi ,

I have the same pain, do yo have any development about your?

Thanks

Dan

6. merrick1991

merrick1991 New Member

n/a
    Ok so I'm getting lower back pain and I notice it with movements with my right leg, like going up steps or down steps. Or running. Sometimes the pain goes down to my leg. I got this during running, I run regularly but stopped because the pain got to be bad in my lower back. Now I haven't ran in two weeks, its gotten better but its still there, just not as bad. What could it be? How long will it take to heal? I'm young, only 23. I have been cycling for alternative cardio workout, it doesn't effect my lower back really.

7. DannyYan

DannyYan Regular Member

Human
    i had this problem too...the pain gets obvious everytime i sit down trying to work....long hours of sitting is really suffering for me....looking for sport massuer few days more....>.<....is it serious?

8. LittleRacquet

LittleRacquet New Member

What type of core and back exercise were you doing, and how were you doing them?

Just to add on, when I was looking for a sports masseur, I referred to a list here, it might be useful for other fellow forumers too.

Has anyone tried Thai massage to remedy their back pain? I know they do a lot of stretching like so -

thai_massage.jpg

Do you guys think it's effective for treating back pain?

9. ludang

ludang Regular Member

Engineering Manager
    If the pain is traveling down to the leg and not going away, you might have nerve pinching problem. Time to rest -- see doctor and have the MRI done.

LuDang

10. varsis

varsis Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Yep, pain travelling down the leg is a good indicator of a pinched nerve. I have a compacted lower vertebrae on the right side from too much sitting (work requirement), no travelling pain, but I'm getting it treated via chiropractor, physio and massage, slowly getting better so one of those (or combination of those) things seems to work.

As always, a good 20 mins stretching before playing, a good cool down after and a warm shower will help stop things getting worse.

At least, that's my experience.

11. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    See if you have a pt look at it. Could be one of the joints is inflamed too which could be causing it.

12. featherbeater

featherbeater Regular Member

shopkeeper/ storeman
    Need to see doctor to get a precise diagnosis. That being said, Google your condition and do research beforehand before going in. Then you can make the most of your time there. That being said, strengthening core muscles is a very good idea for anyone hitting 40 or over 40. Cyclists do it all the time because they ride bending forwards. Your core muscles can help to support the load on your spinal discs (so that they don't inflame and hit the nerves). But don't start on this until you've seen a medical professional. All the best.

13. timtak

timtak New Member

teacher
    Excercises to help prevent recurrence of Badminton Back

I had a spinal hernia. I got it swimming by doing leg kicks, incorrectly, from the hip producing a backward arch of my back. I then made it worse by rolling a large (1.5m) ball backwards, again backwardly arching my back.

While most people get slipped disks and spinal hernias, pinching nerves and resultant sciatica (pain in the leg) by bending forwards, I hear that my type of bending backwards back injury also happens quite a lot to Badminton players, who bend backwards when clearing and smashing.

I play badminton to and I could imagine it happening. Indeed, when my back hurt just attempting to go through the motions of a clear made my back hurt like hell.

I would like to coin a phrase and call my type of back-wards-arched back injury "badminton back."

But on all these forums I see simply "core exercises." It seems to me that my abs are strong (perhaps too strong compared to other muscles). I also have bad posture (this is probably the root cause) and a posture book I have says that some muscles can be too strong while others too weak.

So I am seeking advice from others who have also injured their back bending backwards - as one may do in badminton.

So in order to cure "badminton back," which core muscles need to be strengthened and how?

There are a lot of different core exercises.

I would like to do pilates but there are no instructors or gyms near me here. Perhaps I will buy a pilates book.

14. Karthik_abi

Karthik_abi New Member

Hi Mamma,
    I'm at same age with same issue like you have. Any resolution for it ?

Regards
    Karthik

15. amleto

amleto Regular Member

after 4 years and only 10 posts, I'm guessing you aren't going to get a reply :rolleyes: