Li-Ning Phoenix shuttlecocks (feather replaceable)

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by chris-ccc, Sep 26, 2011.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I have been told about the Li-Ning Phoenix shuttlecocks.

LiNing new type badminton shuttlecock “Phoenix” applied advanced patent technology – feather replaceable, working with cork and plastic loop makes exactly playing feel with traditional shuttlecock, but better durability.

You could change the damaged feather to make another perfect shuttlecock.

The durability of 1 LiNing Phoenix shuttlecock equals to 3 traditional shuttlecocks.

I have not seen or used this type of shuttlecocks before. I wonder if BCers, who have used these Li-Ning Phoenix shuttlecocks before, can give us a review.

2. jackyche

jackyche Regular Member

This youtube video/commercial sure makes it interesting.

[video=youtube;isIZEqM6kRw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isIZEqM6kRw[/video]

3. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    I'm highly skeptical about this, but I hope it really works and can significantly reduce the price of birds. The price of birdies is one of the reasons I can't play badminton everyday. :mad:

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Assuming it plays and feels exactly like the regular feather shuttle, whether it sells will then depend on the price. If it costs 3x as much as a good feather shuttle, then may as well stick to regular shuttles.

5. jackyche

jackyche Regular Member

They sell for £16.00 according to iBadmintonstore.com

Which means cheaper elsewhere since the UK gets ripped off usually.

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Thanks for the info so far.

Has anyone played with these Li-Ning Phoenix shuttlecocks before?

Like to know the feel, the flight, the weight, etc, etc... of the shuttlecocks.

7. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

interchangeable feathers?
    i doubt it works as well as the normal whole shuttle..

after 1 or 2 hit plays, the possibility of the feathers being intact...is quite...remote..

beside...much more time will be needed to check n change each damaged feathers..

with this... i rather...use plastic shuttle....

imo only...

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Interchangeable feathers?

No. Even the great Tang Xianhu, when he visited Australia, taught me how to change a damaged feather to make another perfect shuttlecock (doing it on a normal shuttlecock).

It wasn't easy. It was time consuming (pushing through the string loop with hardened glue all over it).

Now with the plastic loop, I would expect it to be easier.

But wouldn't the plastic loop be adding more weight to the shuttlecock (this I am asking)? :confused::confused::confused:

9. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Yesterday a friend of mine brought this Li-ning shuttlecocks to our mens doubles session.
    The first Impression was a bit scary. This plastic ring stabilise the replaceable feathers. I was sceptic. The shuttles were faster than some other 77's which I'm used to, but the weight of them was a bit heavier compared to regular shuttlecocks and the contact with the string felt a bit harder, maybe through the plastic. Especially at the net they felt really strange and a bit out of control. I regular use YY AS 30 or Victor Service. In terms of durability we could play 3 sets with one shuttle. This was quite good. To get a rebuilt shuttlecock we must sacrifice the feathers of a damaged shuttle. 6 shuttles were in the tube. Sometimes it was a bit difficult to replace feathers because some didn't fit in the plastic ring. So we had to try different feathers. My friend paid 9 Euro for this tube. The Idea is smart but the achievement isn't perfect. I wouldn't buy them.

10. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I have tried them, and I would like them, but I do not think they will be a success. They play quite well, and the feeling is MUCH MUCH better than plastic. But it is NOT as good feel as good feather shuttles.

I would not recommend this shuttle. If anyone CAN afford they should use normal feather shuttles.

However if the choice is between this and plastic, anyone choosing plastic should have his head examined :).

If this makes economy on par with plastic it would take away the economy argument to move from plastic to feather.. However I think most plastic players does not care about good flight characteristics anyway, and would think it is cumbersome to replace feathers etc..

I do not see these shuttles sell well to current users of plastics and not to players seeking better shuttles. Maybe one consumer group could be badmintonclubs that would like to save shuttle cost for junior training, and dont mind the work to repair shuttles after training sessions, to save some shuttle expenses for the club?

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Thanks for the review. That's what I was thinking - Use the good feathers from a used shuttlecock as replacement feathers. But if some don't fit in the plastic ring, then some thing is wrong. :confused::confused::confused:

12. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I found no problem whatsoever fitting them into the ring.. The only problem was the time/effort.. not a problem to fit them.. that was very easy, and never failed.. Sometimes during the game i observed though that replaced feathers coould loosen a bit.. so after maybe 10-15 point they had to be pushed into the the shuttle once more which was not ideal..

Anyway.. best thing is probably to try for yourself.. I suppose it may be different in different temperature, humidity etc as well..

another note was that ther was two models (cant remeber their modelname PN..someting) one with pink-tubes and one with blue tubes.. One was supposedly better quality, can't recall which one at the moment though, but I really didn't notice any major differnce between them, so I would suggest anyone that wanna try them to go with the cheapest model. (economy is the whole point anyway, right?!? )

#12 twobeer, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    anyone got photos of the real thing?

14. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

aiya... i didnt know u want to see the original thing..

i picked up.. 1 .discarded one.while playing... last week....

individual...interchangeable..feather..

dun think i have it...anymore...

:p

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

16. Thompson

Thompson Regular Member

Supervisor Pharmaceutical Industry
    I would love to hear more about these shuttles!

Me and my friends like to play with feather shuttles but it can get a bit pricey. This could be a great replacement for training and friendly games.

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Agree... Badminton can be such an expensive sport to play, just because of the pricey shuttlecocks.

About this interchangeable feather shuttlecock, I think it should work well only if the size and the weight of the plastic ring can be made as small and as light as possible (compared to the string-plus-glue ring).

18. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

just bought a tube of these shuttles, it was an interesting concept.

the shuttle itself weighs similar to a normal shuttle. they compensate the weight of the plastic ring with thinner feathers. you can see that the feathers are almost like nylon but like shaped like a feather shuttle, not holes like a real plactic shutle.

playing with the shuttle feels like hitting a heavier shuttle. doesn't fly as far or as fast but certainly no where as heavy as a plastic shuttle (rated 76). flight path is the same as a feather shuttle but you can feel upon impact that something isnt right, like a small piece of rock in your shoe when you walk.

replacing the feathers is time consuming, so what we did is kept using new shuttles and only replace the feather when we got back home.

durability wise, its longer than a normal shuttle and you get to "recycle" some feathers, effectively doubling its life. so technically it'll last you 2-3 games (different sessions cause we replace the feathers at home).

paid RM45 from the official li-ning shop but i'm sure you can get it cheaper off online shops

all in all, its really worth it, much better than a plastic bird but we designated the shuttle as a pure warm-up/practise shuttle and use normal feathers during game time

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Thanks for the review moomoo.

Yes, currently the plastic shuttlecocks do not have the same flight path of a feather shuttlecocks. If these 'feather replaceable' shuttlecocks do fly like the standard/normal ones, then they should be OK. I shall try them when they are available in Melbourne.

20. Thompson

Thompson Regular Member

Supervisor Pharmaceutical Industry
    I'm gonna try to find some tubes here in western europe so I can try them out :)