Swing Speed VS Shaft Stiffness

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ah.b|ack, Sep 27, 2011.

1. ah.b|ack

ah.b|ack Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    Here's a short story of mine...

I bought a VT80 4U, strung it with bg65Ti at 26lbs. At the first session with it, I got injured... The problem is after I smashed, it feels like it's ripping my hand off =.= My friends said it's called "tennis elbow". I went on calling the seller, they said the racket is too stiff and they are kind enough to let me switch to other racket with full value (Thanks Maurice Robinson UK!!!) OK... I'm not trying to talk about the injury...

VT80 is a Extra Stiff racket, and obviously I dont have enough strength to wield it. I did switch the racket to VT70 (Medium Flex) and Im loving it!!! Both are Heavy Headed of couse... The situation made me kind of scare of using Extra Stiff rackets though...

Currently I'm using N50II (Medium Flex, Heavy Headed), but compared to VT70, it has a longer shaft. I have the same problem with N50II and VT70, I cant make my smash go steep... Both rackets are strung at 26lbs (VT70=BG65Ti, N50II=AP101N:confused:), so I assume it's because of the shaft stiffness...

So as for my questions, how can I make my smash steeper? By swinging faster or slower? Based on my swing speed, which kind of racket is more suitable for me? Stiffer or Flexier? There are 2 different solution for me, either it's to change my swing speed, or change my racket (I do prefer this :D). Thanks for the advices in advance!!!

P.S.: if this post is suppose to be in other thread, please help me amend it, TQ

2. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I'm in no position to judge your technique, but just from reading your post, you might want to take a half step back from your smashing position. And put extra attention on timing. It gives you a bit of extra angle. Generally speaking shaft stiffness does/should not change smash angle/steepness/direction, instead it changes the power output of a stroke.

3. ah.b|ack

ah.b|ack Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    oh i see... I thought the stiffness have something to do with "cant get the shuttle down" issue...

4. visor

visor Regular Member

A flexier shaft means that the racket head is going to lag slightly behind on a power stroke. For a clear, you get good height. But for a smash it will mean less steep angles. Only way to compensate is to whip the racket head into the shuttle. That is you have to lift your racket elbow just a tad right before strike. And when you strike, you also need forearm pronation to produce a steeper angle.

5. kewlboi

kewlboi Regular Member

accounting manager
    steepness is determined by both the point of contact and the frame facing of your racket at the time of contact.

6. ah.b|ack

ah.b|ack Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    so did you guys mean...
    Flexier Shaft + Slow Swing Speed = Steep Smash
    Stiff Shaft + Fast Swing Speed = Steep Smash

Is that a correct formula?

7. indrato

indrato Regular Member

"steepness is determined by both the point of contact and the frame facing of your racket at the time of contact." this is correct. Timing is the key. I sugest you use medium flex first for two reason:
    1. It is easier to adjust timing
    2. It will help with your shoulder.

And it will help too if you change your string. bg65ti is thick and not too repulsive. bg80 or nbg 98 is the same thickness but more repulsive. Bg 85 or bg66 is thinner and more repulsive. offcourse thinner string is less durable.

8. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Theoritically you are right. But practically with slower swing speed you will loose some power, so I can't see the advantage of doing that. The key is to blend with your racket and get the timing right, to a point where you don't have to slower the swing speed and get the max result.

9. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Just jump higher to get the steeper angle :)

10. ah.b|ack

ah.b|ack Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    wookay... kind of getting the concept here, shall implement the theory into game play TMR!!! Cant wait!!

11. visor

visor Regular Member

That plus do what I said in post #4 above.

12. ah.b|ack

ah.b|ack Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    came back from a great session!! Well, what i did is that I try to balance out my swinging motion and my wrist action. Before this, I was doing more on swinging without actually caring much on bending my wrist. So today, my smashing turn out to be much better, due to put more power into wrist instead just using my whole arm. I did have some miss fire... due to stand not far behind enough the shuttle, but I think i can control my smashing angle by using more wrist power. The result is more accurate, less "powarrrr" smash, but Im quite satisfy with it XD (jumping smash is even more KILLARRRR...)

So the conclusion is...
    Racket: VT70 is still my best racket, starting to fall in love all over it again, as I just strung it with bg80 XD I guess I will just stick with it and save up the money which i planned to buy another racket. 2 bird with 1 stone, not bad at all XD (or should i trade off my n50II??? hehe... anyone interested?? My hand still itchy for trying a different racket XD)

Smash: Well, even though it was less powerful, I kind of prefer the smash I tried today, as it's more accurate and lethal. Mixing up a little bit should make my game more effective. POWARRR => POWARR => steepppp... hehe... you get the idea...

Thanks for all the opinion from the pros, love you all, and hope you guys will enjoy badminton more and more in the future!! Hope anyone can find some benefits reading these. For anyone would like to add in anything, KEEP THE POSTING COMING YOOO!! (This tread shall NOT DIE!!)

On the side note... I really REALLY i want tear down the spotlights at Bukit Gombak Sport Hall!!! They almost blinded me!!! Luckily they will start the renovation on the lighting... no game for the next 2 weeks... T.T

13. alphazed1

alphazed1 Regular Member

software engineer
    good inputs from others here but then what tension is your VT70 strung at?.. the VT80 was at 26lbs as mentioned and that ll make it tough to give you the smashing power.. it s tuned for accuracy in this case.. low tension is good to give you better smashing power.. and yes.. BG 80 is more repulsive.. 26lbs meant 26*28 or 24*26?.. play well..

14. RichieKunZ

RichieKunZ Regular Member

Student
  15. ah.b|ack

ah.b|ack Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    I went to paragon for the restring, I just told the boss I want 27lbs. I think it's 27 x 29, really not sure about it. I used to play at 26lbs, as i heard quite alot review on bg80 for the tension loss, i just though might as well strung it slightly higher. When I was still using vt80 with 26lbs, the strokes and push and net are really nice, just the smashing is too demanding for my arm... so I gave up...

Thanks for the input again!