help training

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by badmint0nplaya, Jun 2, 2003.

1. badmint0nplaya

badmint0nplaya Regular Member

Hey everyone. I got a question. How do you guys train your eyes, your speed, and reaction time to become so quick? Is there any training excercises that you can tell me to help improve this area of the game? Im not really that fast when I play a game(metally) I want to know if there's anything I can do to help myself. It just seems like they play so fast..and I can't keep up.

2. chub2003

chub2003 Regular Member

3. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Maybe you should try racing:D :D
    I guess that will make you to get used to the speed!

Or just play some baseball might help

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    latest technique ;)

Video-Game Killing Builds Visual Skills, Researchers Report
    Thu May 29, 9:02 AM ET Add Top Stories - The New York Times

By SANDRA BLAKESLEE The New York Times

And now, the news that every parent dreads. Researchers are reporting today that first-person-shooter video games the kind that require players to kill or maim enemies or monsters that pop out of nowhere sharply improve visual attention skills.

Experienced players of these games are 30 percent to 50 percent better than nonplayers at taking in everything that happens around them, according to the research, which appears today in the journal Nature. They identify objects in their peripheral vision, perceiving numerous objects without having to count them, switch attention rapidly and track many items at once. Nor are players simply faster at these tasks, said Dr. Daphne Bavelier, an associate professor of cognitive neuroscience at the University of Rochester, who led the study. First-person action games increase the brain's capacity to spread attention over a wide range of events. Other types of action games, including those that focus on strategy or role playing, do not produce the same effect.

While some researchers have suggested possible links between video games and other abilities, this study is thought to be the first to explore their effects on visual skills. Though the number of subjects was small, Dr. Bavelier said, the effects were too large to be a result of chance. "We were really surprised," Dr. Bavelier said, adding that as little as 10 hours of play substantially increased visual skills among novice players. "You get better at a lot of things, not just the game," she said. But Dr. Bavelier emphasized that the improved visual attention skills did not translate to reading, writing and mathematics. Nor is it clear that they lead to higher I.Q. scores, although visual attention and reaction time are important components of many standardized tests.

"Please, keep doing your homework," said Dr. Bavelier, the mother of 6-year-old twins and a 2-year-old.

Dr. Jeremy Wolfe, the director of the Visual Attention Laboratory at Harvard Medical School (news - web sites), who was not involved in the study, said he was intrigued at the idea that "socially dubious games might improve something like general intelligence."

"It might give every 14-year-old something to tell his parents," Dr. Wolfe said. " `Hey, don't make me study. Give me another grenade.' " Still, he noted that an increased capacity for visual attention was helpful in tasks as diverse as flying, driving, radiology and airport screening.

Dr. Bavelier is an expert on how experience changes the brain, particularly the effects of congenital deafness on visual skills and attention. A few years ago, a Rochester student, Shawn Green, asked to work on a senior project in her laboratory. They agreed that he would help design visual attention tasks for the deaf. But when Mr. Green tried out the tests, he found they were ridiculously easy, Dr. Bavelier said. So did his friends, who were all devoted to video games. The professor and her student decided to study the connection between video game playing and visual attention. They carried out four experiments on undergraduates, all of them male because no female shooter game fans could be found on campus.

The first tested the ability to localize targets in a cluttered environment and spread visual attention over a wide area a skill that many elderly drivers lose. Gamers performed at least 50 percent better than nongamers, Dr. Bavelier said. The second involved the ability to say, instantly, how many objects were flashed on a screen. Most people can do this with up to four objects, Dr. Bavelier said. Above that, they start counting. Gamers could identify up to 10 items on a screen without counting.

The other two experiments tested the players' ability to process fast-occurring visual information and to switch attention. Again, players were far superior to nonplayers.

A fifth experiment trained nonplayers, including some women, for 10 consecutive days on one of two video games either Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, a first-person-shooter game that simulates World War II combat situations, or the slower-moving puzzle game Tetris. Only the shooter game improved visual attention, Dr. Bavelier said, and it did so in both sexes. Among novices, the effects waned within a couple of months, but superior visual attention skills seemed firmly rooted in game addicts. Dr. Bavelier said the next step would be to tease the games apart to find out what aspects promoted brain changes. Are violence and danger necessary? Does this sort of brain plasticity change with age? Will it affect certain measures of intelligence?

Meanwhile, she said, the military is already exploiting action games to train special forces. "To enter territory you've never seen and detect where your enemies are," she went on, "you need an accurate understanding of the visual scene."

5. ArchDevil145

ArchDevil145 Regular Member

student
    Cool! now there's a reason to tell my mom that video games are good for me.

6. ljq

ljq Regular Member

But it is for visual reflex. Not exactly hand.

But it does help, i think

7. chub2003

chub2003 Regular Member

I dont think it helps in hand- eye - coordination, the thing about video is that is lets you percieve or see things faster, or be able to take in more information faster. That is how some people get ADD( attention deficit disorder) from playing too much video games, because their mind is so used to seeing things so fast that in time their minds cannot really focus. Not to freak anyone out, this cant happen to anybody who just plays video games, video games are still cool, but i read that this game happen if there is too much. So, it may be better to do drills that improve hand-eye - coordination, like hitting strong drives against a wall, or having someone continuously smash or do drives with you.

8. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    I've wanted to ask about this before... does anyone here have sort of like an automatic reaction? I mean, when someone smashes and it lands in the net do you find your hands already in the position to return it? I sometimes do, all the time actually. Sorry if you don't understand, I'm not feeling wide awake right now...

9. ArchDevil145

student
    Lol. Well I do. Sometimes when my opponent smashes, I get an automatic reaction. Guarding with my forehand/backhand even though the smash hits the net.

10. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Oh okay, so its not just me alone. Can anyone explain why???

11. valourarc

valourarc Regular Member

Professional
    It's natural because you're following the shuttle with your eyes and you're preparing for the shuttle when it eventually arrives. You don't know that the shuttle will hit the net so your body is already reacting to the shuttle as if it would reach you.

12. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

hi

Let people smash u more.. do more pushing.. that should help... sometimes doing too much.. a Slow shuttle may cause u to mishit.. but that shouldnt b a problem.

13. ArchDevil145

student
    Yup. That's how I did it.