User Tag List

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twobeer View Post
    Yes, probably me too (especially if ther was such a thing as a Taufik in form). Your example is also a little of, as I think CJ cre playing style is a bit boring many times. But honestly CL vs LCW would probably be a more exciting game to watch imop. I doubt I would pay money to go see an exhibition game today between LCW and TH, would you?
    Actually TH vs LCW recently in Malaysia to raise fund for Japan's stunami...it went to 3 sets and deuce....haha..I am sure they fixed the result...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by huangkwokhau View Post
    Actually TH vs LCW recently in Malaysia to raise fund for Japan's stunami...it went to 3 sets and deuce....haha..I am sure they fixed the result...
    Of course they did.. Giving the public a long threesetter to watch instead of just crushing Taufik in two fast straight sets :-)

This is the nature of exhibition games.. they are for exhibition not for the competition.. Its a friendly match and I am sure they do not want the other player to loose face..

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think there is more to defining a player's "legendary" status or "royal" status than jus the results of his matches over the past 3 or 4 or 5 or 50 years.

There are many subjective, subtle, unquantifiable aspects that often play as important a part as the player's performance chart. Some players just have the ability to bring an audience to its feet, or to leave them spellbound. Some evince awe or respect for the spirit and tenacity that they bring to the game for over a decade. Some are just so loved for their presence, some are saluted for their power and the force of their peronality which they exert on their opponents.

All of them are practitioners of the art of badminton at the highest level, and they have consistently delivered for many years.

Many people bemoan Taufik as we see him now, because they will always compare him with the Taufik that ruled the world and all hearts years ago. But they would rather have the opportunity to watch the magic of Taufik on a stage where he plays without any stress of having to win, score ranking points etc, than a soulless clinical demonstration of badminton by an accomplished, yet predictable player.

A player I always respect more than almost any other, and rate among the highest ever (did he get a raw deal in the end? I don't know...) is Sun Jun. But if I were given a choice to pay for either attending a match where Sun Jun played or Taufik, its no contest. You can always aspire to be one; you can only thank the Universe you lived in the time of the other.

My 2c.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wilcan View Post
    This 4 invited to play because of their fame, not their current skill
    ask the audience, wanna see TH-LCW or CJ-LCW, i believe most of them want to see TH-LCW than CJ-LCW
    Agree, Cyborg.............less interesting !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    My question is; Why China is interested in holding this event (for the best 4 players in the world) when China is not interested in participating in the BWF's SS Masters Finals (for the best 8 players/pairs of the year)?
    I do agree. Let's wait n see will China send their the best player in the BWF SS Final this year

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My question is; Why China is interested in holding this event (for the best 4 players in the world) when China is not interested in participating in the BWF's SS Masters Finals (for the best 8 players/pairs of the year)?
    I speculate that it is not China putting up the money. It must be some private sponsor.

It's like the Cophagen Masters - Invitation only

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by luvina View Post
    Surprise if that XXF likes TH too. Cuz if i'm not mistaken in 2006, XXF had defend LD when TH said LD is arrogant on court.. Forget where is I had read..
    Taufik is probably the idol of more players than any other player. Check out this thread:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...-players-idols

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    I speculate that it is not China putting up the money. It must be some private sponsor.

My guess is a Hong Kong tycoon.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post

The BWF SS Masters Finals event is also an invitation (for the Top 8 players/pairs in the current year).

In previous years, LYB commented that the BWF SS Masters Finals tournament (in December) clashes with their CHN training schedule. Now that this (Exhibition of 4 Kings) event is held in November, I think that LYB would allow LD to be able to make it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe compete only 1 game of 11 points. TH may jus win it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by concretemad View Post
    Maybe compete only 1 game of 11 points. TH may jus win it.
    Rally scoring to 1 point he has an even bigger chance!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    Taufik is probably the idol of more players than any other player. Check out this thread:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...-players-idols
    Many of the current players were kids when Taufik ruled the world.. So it is only logical that the players that where kids on that era have had taufik as their idol. If you ask the kids today who they want to play like, most will say Lin Dan for sure.. And for sheer numbers I think the number of players in China coupled with Lin Dans popularity would most likely mean he will be by far the biggest badminton idol alive today!
    Last edited by twobeer; 10-03-2011 at 06:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twobeer View Post
    Many of the current players were kids when Taufik ruled the world.. So it is only logical that the players that where kids on that era have had taufik as their idol. If you ask the kids today who they want to play like, most will say Lin Dan for sure.. And for sheer numbers I think the number of players in China coupled with Lin Dans popularity would most likely mean he will be by far the biggest badminton idol alive today!
    To be honest tho, i disagree with u. So, if let say in the future, there's a badminton player that can achieve Lin Dan's accomplishment, does that mean that person is the biggest badminton idol alive? Everyone has a golden era dude. Taufik era may past, but then he is considered a good player in his age. If u doubt me, let's see what Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei can do 2-3 years from now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry... I think my post lost.
    Does anybody know why?
    If there have objection about my post, please tell me...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, CHN will host this event next December plus huge ranking point which offered by SS Finals due to Olympic Qualifying period, most likely their A-list players will not skip like previous editions

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow When the Olympic Qualifying period is over......

Quote Originally Posted by CLELY View Post
    Well, CHN will host this event next December plus huge ranking point which offered by SS Finals due to Olympic Qualifying period, most likely their A-list players will not skip like previous editions
    Well, this is good.

Let's hope that when the Olympic Qualifying period is over, CHN will continue to send their A-list players to future SS Masters Finals.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, this is good.

Let's hope that when the Olympic Qualifying period is over, CHN will continue to send their A-list players to future SS Masters Finals.
    BWF has implemented new rule....if qualified players failed to participate regardless he/she is inured and subject to fine of US$ 5000...
    Saina got fine this year.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast