Stainless Steel badminton string

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by kwun, Oct 1, 2011.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    "string": 22 gauge 216L stainless steel wire
    racket: DHS something something memo graphite that was a gift from a friend long long time ago. the dry weight is 91grams. BP=292mm

i tried out the string itself on the machine. it holds up until around 25lbs and then beyond that it will start stretching (plastic deformation). it snaps pretty quickly at 30lbs. i plan to string it around 21-22lbs.

i was going to order the 21 gauge but the order for the 22 gauge which i order before wasn't cancellable. so i will see how this one work out. 21 gauge should hold up higher tension.

the string do not stretch at all on the WISE. when it reaches the desired tension, no more tension creeping. plucking it produce a very high tone. it will be interesting how it actually plays. this is totally unchartered territory when it comes to badminton stringing.

i will try to put up a video on the process. hopefully it will be fun. i plan to string it tonight after the kids goes to bed. stay tuned.

IMG_0918.jpg IMG_0917.jpg

2. KinkySmasher

KinkySmasher Regular Member

This looks really interesting indeed. Do some smashing with it in the video. :p

Have you thought about using piano wires? I've heard they can be as thin as 0.15 mm and hold tension at 100+ lbs.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Even if your grommets can withstand it, I have a feeling that your shuttle is gonna get shredded to pieces! :p

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it is done. i didn't record how long it took. but at least 45mins and the process is super painful. the wire was stiff and not easy to handle at all. weaving is impossible as it is stiff to pull and the shiny surface provides very little friction.

the tone that came out was pretty low. so not crispy at all as i only did it in 21lbs. i will try to hit a few tomorrow to see how it plays. should be fun.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i took the video. expect it to be up by the end of tomorrow. it will be a busy day tomorrow.

6. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Ok. We shall wait.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

I expect it to hit like a board without much repulsion, despite the low tone and tension, because it's made of darn steel afterall! ;)

So, you can say that you succeeded in making a training racket! :p

8. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    Wow I can't believe you actually went ahead and did this Kwun haha. I mean I had the idea with coiling the wire around your racket but I didn't think you'd actually go as far as using it as a badminton string =p. Don't hurt yourself while doing it! Do you plan to take a quick video of yourself hitting with it as well? Just trying to do one of each shot, clear, smash, drop, net shot =p

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    well. it was only $6. cheaper than some badminton string. ;)

the result is a bit disappointing. i haven't been to the real gym yet. but so far i have noticed a few things:

- tension loss is really fast. i can almost hear difference on successive hit by hand
    - vibration is incredibly bad. imagine a guitar/violin string type of vibration. only now it is on the badminton racket.

looks rather nice and impressive though. but i am afraid that's about it... ;)

10. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Maybe you could use it as a guitar instead.

11. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Very very interesting string, Kwun! Is tension loss due to the slippery surface of the stainless steel? Suspension bridges don't use knots to hold cables. Therefore, stainless steel may not work well with badminton racket at all :D.

12. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I thought of suggesting some adhesive on the knots, but it's a bit late now.

There will be little tension loss in the "normal" way, especially if it behaves so much like Kevlar as kwun mentioned, so what there is will come from knot sliding and grommet/frame disintegration.

We need teh video!!!

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it has nothing to do with the knots at all.

i wonder why people think knots contributes so much to tension loss. there are only millimeters worth of slippage that can come from the knot and beyond that the knot will come undone. and to my eyes, i have never even observed any knot slippage of that magnitude.

the tension loss is due to the nature of stainless steel which plastic deforms after it reaches it's yield point. i have mentioned that earlier in the other thread.

not much that can be done except to find a different material that has a higher yield point.

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    as it turns out, even one half hitch was enough to tie the ends. the tying of the knots causes pretty drastic work hardening of the material, and that little knot is very very stiff.

i observed the opposite than what you said.

the knots are tight, and there is no grommet/frame disintegration. we are not dealing with hot wire here, just a smooth metal wire with a low 21lbs tension. the structure damage cause by 25lbs traditional nylon string probably cause much more structure damage.

15. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    So what is the final wet weight of the racket now?

16. visor

visor Regular Member

Did you prestretch it first? :p :D

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    cannot pre-stretch this type of metal. after it reach yield point it will keep on stretching like a bubblegum until it gets too thin and snap.

18. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

OK, I do not agree what Master Kwun did to the helpless DHS racquet with stainless steel wire. But since he is doing it, I might as well join in and torture the racquet more and properly. To pull the wire with proper tension, I would use a 1600 grade sand paper. Cut a piece about 2x2 in and fold it in half. Insert it in the gripper, basiclly, this will prevent the damage to the gripper because it will be gripping on the paper side and the rough side will provide more friction to grip the wire. Please be aware, you might cut through the grommets and possible cut into the frame even at 22lb...

19. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Yup - stainless isn't very elastic; it'll just stretch, neck, then die.

Spring steel would be an interesting next step - piano wire, for example (I'm sure it'd come in a suitable gauge).

20. visor

visor Regular Member