badminton stringing lesson

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by stevie 1, Oct 2, 2011.

1. stevie 1

stevie 1 Regular Member

Hi I like to learn how to string a badminton racket but I try to look everywhere, there are no class or course than you can learn. Is there anybody know where I can get a lesson? thanks.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i doubt you will be able to find one. it is not popular enough for people to hold lessons for.

3. S.fusion

S.fusion Regular Member

U kidding me? U expect the established stringer to hand over their rice bowl on a silver platter? There's a guy in where I live used to hold stringing lesson n it cost almost an arm or leg for a one day course, around us500 ish

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. There're always nice ppl who do not mind to show ppl some hint here and there.

2. I doubt many ppl can make a "rice bowl" by stringing badminton racket only.

3. $500? I have to assume that's high end tennis stringer. Badminton is just not in that "class" yet.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    dang. i will throw a lesson for you for $500 a day!

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

There are certainly accreditation bodies out there - I'm a member of one - but as far as teaching goes... most stringers would guard their trade jealously. It helps us if it stays an arcane and magical practise, and the more people who think I just throw a racket into my wardrobe wormhole and it comes out strung exactly nineteen minutes later, the better.

7. hesho

hesho Regular Member

i'm in a small city so there are no lessons at all but, y not just practice at super low tension on a cheap racquet? That's what i did. I read up on how to string from google. I used this link http://www.stevecowley.com/stuff/badminton_restring.htm though, i look at where u r from, i'm sure someone from richmond is willing to help you. There is probably 100x more stringers in richmond then in timmins (there's 2 here including myself.. i don't count sportchek as a stringer)

8. bsmith

bsmith Regular Member

Engineering software developer www.elitesoft.com
    I second what hesho says. I bet that there are more of us who learned on their own than who were trained by someone. With all the internet resources and especially all the experts on BC so willing to help, it has never been easier to teach yourself how to string a racket. A beginner can quickly learn to perform high quality stringing work. It's speed without loss of quality that takes a long time to develop. So don't worry about needing hands on instruction, just go for it!

9. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I know of one or two highly regarded stringer who give lessons on a one to one basis in the UK. But to be honest, a lot of people can pick up most of it on the internet and with good practice you can essentially teach yourself.

I never had any training, but I watched a few stringers and asked questions before doing my own research and practicing on old racquets.

10. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Not sure if someone posted this already but it gives you an idea of stringing without fixed clamps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIrlvwYYZgc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3P1H8RMKwg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zya7Ra431pQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ezDt2qWd3s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW1KqXdPje0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuWAg08vU0k

Please note the machine is Eagnas made. You can tell that the quality of the machine is suspect by the grip insert at the shoulder support.

11. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
  12. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

What's wrong with Eagnas ?
    I have used this brand, as well as AEF, Pro's Pro and Gamma 5003.
    Just my personal opinion :
    For the machine quality, Gamma is the best, followed by AEF, Pro's Pro and Eagnas.
    Price of machine, again : Gamma is the most expensive, followed by AEF, Pro's Pro and Eagnas.
    the result, not much different, especially when all modified with Wise2086 .... or maybe my skill is not that good.

Eagnas has shifted their manufacturing to Jiangxi Province, and according to Eagnas sales person, the quality is better than before.

13. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I had an Eagnas before. It was a return item. The construction was horrible with uneven base and twisted shoulder supports.

Sales dudes are what they are. I will only believe when I see consistent quality products.

14. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

I never have any problem with Eagnas till now.
    Quality wise is what you have paid.
    In Indonesia, many people are looking for Eagnas machine, maybe because is cheap and many local brands use it as OEM ...

#14 maa2003, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  15. bsmith

bsmith Regular Member

Engineering software developer www.elitesoft.com
    I bought an Eagnas Combo 810 (table top crank machine with fixed clamps) this past June 2011 for $489 and have been very pleased with it. I had read of reports of poor quality but decided to take a chance, especially since I was going to upgrade immediately to Chudek side supports and to the Watdon WA3342 dual clamps. Will soon change the crank to a Wise 2086 constant pull. The stock components were serviceable but these type of upgrades will improve any machine.

But overall, I still can't believe how much value I got with this machine. It is heavy and strong and really a very small amount to pay to get the benefit of having two fixed clamps. I know a lot of stringers on this forum prefer the speed of floating clamps, but for beginners who want the easiest way to learn and the easiest way to preserve maximum tension during the stringing process, to me, it is well worth paying just a bit more to have fixed clamp capability.

Perhaps there is some inconsistency with quality control from Eagnas, but I didn't experience any problems.

16. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    @maa2003,

FYI, I got the ST-250 from Eagnas USA. The machine was actually a defect and a return item.

"Quality wise is what you paid" is relative. Here in North America, consumers are very picky.

17. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

maybe the agent or distributor which is not good enough.
    I got my Eagnas machine direct from Eagnas manufacturing facility in China.

18. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

maybe we are just 2 lucky guys here ....

anyway, sorry Mods, to have OTT

19. jinayatali

jinayatali Regular Member

I recently bought EAG-700 and they haven't sent the side supporter which tightens the frame from distortion. Any idea what should i do now?

20. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I second what Master Pete said. I have chance to deal with several Eagnas machine before and none of them pass the calibration out of the box. Also, the holding arm on the their ST250 is not stable. So I hav always questioned what kind of support the stringer actually get on the side.
    I have hear story that on some of the more expensive machine they demoed before, they bought it from the name brand and just put on Eagnas stickers because they did not have time to actually copy or can not copy the high end machine. Anyway, you get what you paid for at the end.
    FYI, I would trust a Klippermate M140 at 26lb with a good job and not to break a racquet frame. However, I will suspect a 26lb string job from Eagnas ST250 either tension is off or the frame might be damaged.