Please help me choose a racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by fizk1970, Jun 3, 2003.

1. fizk1970

fizk1970 Regular Member

I've been playing for a while with Yonex-Carbonex-9 Tour (2U-G4, I bought it in 1995), now I'm planning to buy a new one. Please suggest a racket for me

-I play mostly doubles
    -B (advanced level), Aggressive Player
    -Light weight preferrable
    -willing to pay upto $150
    -please suggest other details like strings etc

Thanks
    fizk

2. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I say MP-77(3U) or MP-88(4U) with regular strings (such as BG-65) is good enough.

Or you may do a search to find more answers.

3. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Not sure where you are so your budget of $150 could be US, CAD, Euro, etc. But your best bet is to look at the various brands and models available. Are you comfortable with playing with traditional head frame (oval) or do you prefer the isometric head frames? How about flex? Do you feel that you rather have more control than power (stiffer=more control - one factor of many in determining control vs power), head light (for better and faster responses in double)? String is more personal and depends on your preferred tension. Thinner strings at higher tension will break more but gives you better control/feel.

http://www3.telus.net/K-SIS/Winex/RacketChoice.htm

Assuming that it is US$150, then you do have a very wide range of selections including racquets mentioned previously. Obviously, one decision to make is whether you are willing to go Yonex only or some of the other brands like Black Knight, Carlton, Forza, Winex, Sotx, MMOA, JooBong, Prince, Babolat, etc (assuming that you can even get your hands on some of these brands).

4. Smashguy

Smashguy Regular Member

Since your location was masked, the currency of your budget $150 was a question mark? I guess you are either in Singapore or in Canada. (Wild guess) Then I suggest ISO 800 TOUR if you want to have a wonderful feeling of larger sweet pot. If you want to stick to your oval shape frame, I suggest you to try CAB 20 SP (not special) or CAB 25.

I guess you had CAB 9 TOUR and want have a new one. You may not want to have a oval shape frame and try a new tech. Right?

If you find ISO 800 TOUR head light, I have a tip for you. You may add lead tape on the frame's 3, 12 and 9 o'clock position. It will make the racket feel more head heavy for amazing smashing. It is a money saving to improve your racket with different feeling.

BTW, would you tell us what your feeling of using CAB 9 TOUR. Is it wonderful? Is it a racket with old YY logo?

5. fizk1970

fizk1970 Regular Member

I live in Boston, US. I prefer isometric head frames, I guess that increases the sweet spot, but i'm willing to look at traditional head frame if that meet my needs.

To summurise, I want a

-Yonex racket
    -More smashing power with improved response in doubles game. Is there a racket that balances power and control? If not I will focus more on the power than control.
    -Isometric head frame preferred, but willing to accept tradition head frame if thats better.
    -can pay upto $150 or more if necessary
    -I dont know anything about string tension, help me.

Unfortunately there is no store in this area that carries wide range of rackets for me to look at, so I will have to decide the racket and order it online.

Thanks in advance
    -fizk

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Here are my vote:

1. Yonex ISO Swing Power SS/SX (ISO head). Expensive ($150 around) but worth the $$$ (according to a lot of users, check review sections). Very good power + excellent control. 87 gram is light for such a powerful racket.

http://www.badminton.net

2. Babolat Satelite Comet (Oval). Even though, it's being ranked as a offensive single racket, but might still worth to take a look. Around 90-92 gram, some ppl believe it's a good alternate choice for Yonex MP100. $120 around.

http://members.aol.com/jumpsmash/jumps.htm

3. Winex MP100/200 (ISO). Please contact "Winex West Can" for more information. A lot of good reviews on these 2 models, which 200 is more head heavier than 100.

http://www3.telus.net/K-SIS/Winex/RacketChoice.htm

4. Yonex Cab20MS (Oval). Excellent balanced all around racket. Amazing power with excellent control. For US version, 2U is 94 gram, and 3U is 87-89 gram. I own a 2U, but felt a little bit too heavy, due to it's weight and stiff shaft. However, still one of my top choices. Around $100.

http://www.badminton.net

5. Yangyang Tactic (JSmash) 8500/9000. Kinda similar with Cab20ms. Another excellent all around racket. I own a 8500, 87-89 gram is just right on what I need. However, suggest to change the default string, kinda too thick. But the price in badmintonalley to change string kinda high these days.

http://www.badmintonalley.com ($89 for racket, but if u need change string, add at least another $15+)

As of tension, it's really depend on own preference.

As of a B+ lvl player urself, I think u might being able to take a shot at slightly higher tension on ur new rackets (24+ lb, maybe???). If u prefer power, BG85, BG80 and BG68Ti are my choices. All these strings are around $10 in US market.

If u looking for cheaper alternate Ti string, Gosen B505Ti gets my vote, which should be much cheaper (if available in ur dealer's store).

If u like really really high tension (28+ lb), then, BG65 is the safest choice to me.

7. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

I'd probably go Ti Swing Power SS/SX or MP99. Both powerful racquets and easy to manuver!

8. chub2003

chub2003 Regular Member

Yeah my first choice for you is Ti Swing Power SX. Its 3U, so pretty light too. Second choice would be mp77. Cheaper than 150$ usually, and can be strung a little tighter than some, because of rounded grommets. Mp77 is for offense, so its good because you are aggresive. MP99 is pretty good too, I dont know about mp100 because it is expensive and breaks easy.

9. fizk1970

fizk1970 Regular Member

Thanks you guys for the response. Does anyone know if Ti Swing Power SS/SX comes with G4 grip size? I couldn't find that information from yonex web site. So far I played only with G4 grip size, it will be hard for me to switch over to G3 if swing power comes only in G3;I dont have large hands.

10. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

When I was chatting with someone here, they bought a TiSP from badminton.net and they carry the US version which comes in G4 which is listed on their website so you maybe in luck.

11. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I got my TI-SP from there,too.
    However, mine is Grip4.5, maybe it's different now.

12. chungg

chungg Regular Member

student
    I also have a Cabonex 9 tour (2UG5), and I think it's quite stiff and a little heavy, but still keep balance and maneuvable. I think if you can stand with a 2U raquet for so long, you will find any 3U raquet very light, so I don't suggest you to choose a 4U raquet since it can't provide you enough power. Just as Yodums said, I would also suggest Iso Ti SP sx/ss or mp99. Although according to yonex website, Iso SP sx is for single, but since it's only 87g, it's still very light and maneuvable. I have a Iso sp 900 sx, according to some reviews, it's even more head heavy than iso ti sp sx, but for me, since I use 2U raquets for single all the time, I find iso sp sx is very light but still powerful to me. Therefore I use it for double all the time! Mp99 is also a very good raquet, and it's more balance compared to ti-10, mp100, or ti sp sx. Although it's expensive, I think you still be able to find it on line for under $150. Anyway, it's all up to personal preference. By the way, I think ti-sp only comes with G4.5 version, maybe also G4, but I never see a G3, so don't worry about that.

13. fizk1970

fizk1970 Regular Member

Surprisingly there is no information about MP99 in Yonex website, no product reviews in badmintonCentral.com either. When I do a seach in google I could find only retailers selling MP 99, no reviews.

Thanks to lazyBuddy and Yodums for suggesting badminton.net, they do sell Ti SP with grip size G4 and its only $129. I called them today and talked to the guy, he gave me a long lecture about MP 99 and how good it is. At least I narrowed it down to 2 rackets, Ti Swing Power SS ($129) and MP-99($185). Wish I could read some reviews on MP99 somewhere.

-fizk

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

MP99 does not have its OWN "review section" due to it's a new product, and at the time ppl construct this site, it was not in the market yet. However, I think u might be able to find some reviews in "Mist. racket" section.

Use the "search" function (the upper left corner of index pages) to look for MP99. However, u might get tons of threads, but a lot of them contain some reviews on various features of MP99.

Good luck.

15. fizk1970

fizk1970 Regular Member

Hi Guys

I finally got my new Ti SP SS for US $135 from badminton.net. I played today with it for about 3 hrs, I've to say that It really improved my smashing power. After using ovel shaped racket for a long time I thought it will take time for me to get used to isomatric shape, but fortunately I got the hang of the new racket from the first shot itself. Only improvement I found with my new racket compared to my old carbonex 9 tour racket was the smashing power, otherwise its the same. May be I'm to early to say this, I still have to play a lot.

I'm visiting India in December, I'm planning to buy MP99 from there. Until then I'm going to enjoy my new Ti SP SS.

Thank you all for your suggestions, I wouldn't have made my choice(hopefully the right one) without your help.

fizk

16. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Give it one or two more weeks depending on how much you'll play and you should see more improvement. You're just adjusting to the racquet e.g. Moved sweet spot.