User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question How to measure Balance Point (BP)??

    A sudden question...

    What tools are involved in the measurement? How to do it??

    As i got a 4UG4 VT70, I put a Karakel PU Grip over the original grip, thinking that the balance point might change, but not sure how much is the changes. Is it possible that the BP for my VT70 might changed from Heavy Headed to Even Balance??

    Cheers!!

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,914
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    adding a grip may change bp by a few mm, but will barely change swing weight at all

  3. #3
    Regular Member Sketchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Westcountry
    Posts
    707
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Adding weight to the handle only affects the static balance point, which is completely and utterly meaningless unless you are comparing rackets with the same grip setup, etc.
    It will still feel just as head-heavy to actually swing; you will not lose any power; you will not gain any speed on defense.

  4. #4
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,373
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    In the past I've argued with amletto about this, but recently I've come to understand and experience his point. . Head mass plays a much more important role than handle mass in swing feel, speed and power. Hence bp is almost meaningless, almost. Hence I've started to pay attention to head mass by weighing it strung on a flat level surface. I'm finding that around 41.0-41.6g is what I prefer for a balance between speed and power. . Anyone else try this?

  5. #5
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    35,939
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    In the past I've argued with amletto about this, but recently I've come to understand and experience his point. . Head mass plays a much more important role than handle mass in swing feel, speed and power. Hence bp is almost meaningless, almost. Hence I've started to pay attention to head mass by weighing it strung on a flat level surface. I'm finding that around 41.0-41.6g is what I prefer for a balance between speed and power. . Anyone else try this?
    did you manage to get anywhere with the swing weight / Moment of Inertia measurement?

    agree on the weight at the handle. there is gonna be some difference, but the different is very minute compare to weight near the head.

  6. #6
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,373
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    did you manage to get anywhere with the swing weight / Moment of Inertia measurement?.
    No, haven't figured out how to mount the racket by the handle in order to allow it to swing freely. So for now, the next best thing for me is to use the head mass.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    hmm... sounds like I worried too much... but still... just out of curiosity... what you guys use to measure the BP?? XD

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Aotearoa
    Posts
    103
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ah.b|ack View Post
    hmm... sounds like I worried too much... but still... just out of curiosity... what you guys use to measure the BP?? XD
    use something firm and slim, a ruler or chopstick. and find the BP by balancing the racket on the ruler or chopstick. then measure it to the bottom of the handle. the higher the BP, the head heavier the racket is.

    The best way to find the racket's orginal BP is without strings and additional grips.

  9. #9
    Regular Member demolidor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    @Hollanti
    Posts
    11,758
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agile_Monkey View Post
    use something firm and slim, a ruler or chopstick. and find the BP by balancing the racket on the ruler or chopstick. then measure it to the bottom of the handle. the higher the BP, the head heavier the racket is.

    The best way to find the racket's orginal BP is without strings and additional grips.
    Not to forget: measure it in a straight line . Not drape a string along the profile for your 325mm bp AT250's out there

  10. #10
    Regular Member demolidor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    @Hollanti
    Posts
    11,758
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agile_Monkey View Post
    use something firm and slim, a ruler or chopstick. and find the BP by balancing the racket on the ruler or chopstick. then measure it to the bottom of the handle. the higher the BP, the head heavier the racket is. <br>
    <br>
    The best way to find the racket's orginal BP is without strings and additional grips.
    <br><br>Not to forget: measure it in a straight line . Not drape a string/taper along the profile for your 325mm bp AT250's out there (http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...16#post1573216)

Similar Threads

  1. ? Head Heavy Balance and Balance Point
    By MarcRafles in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 12
    : 03-02-2014, 11:38 PM
  2. How to find out or measure the balance points of strung rackets?
    By hhppyy in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 1
    : 07-23-2007, 08:15 PM
  3. 99 balance point
    By calfunz in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 6
    : 06-02-2006, 06:48 PM
  4. B-pt < > Balance Point
    By Jan_BE in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 2
    : 05-25-2006, 10:30 AM
  5. Balance point
    By Mag in forum General Forum
    Replies: 7
    : 02-18-2001, 06:01 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •