How to measure Balance Point (BP)??

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ah.b|ack, Oct 3, 2011.

1. ah.b|ack

ah.b|ack Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    A sudden question...

What tools are involved in the measurement? How to do it??

As i got a 4UG4 VT70, I put a Karakel PU Grip over the original grip, thinking that the balance point might change, but not sure how much is the changes. Is it possible that the BP for my VT70 might changed from Heavy Headed to Even Balance??

Cheers!!

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

adding a grip may change bp by a few mm, but will barely change swing weight at all

3. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Adding weight to the handle only affects the static balance point, which is completely and utterly meaningless unless you are comparing rackets with the same grip setup, etc.
    It will still feel just as head-heavy to actually swing; you will not lose any power; you will not gain any speed on defense.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

In the past I've argued with amletto about this, but recently I've come to understand and experience his point. :). Head mass plays a much more important role than handle mass in swing feel, speed and power. Hence bp is almost meaningless, almost. :) Hence I've started to pay attention to head mass by weighing it strung on a flat level surface. I'm finding that around 41.0-41.6g is what I prefer for a balance between speed and power. :D. Anyone else try this?

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    did you manage to get anywhere with the swing weight / Moment of Inertia measurement?

agree on the weight at the handle. there is gonna be some difference, but the different is very minute compare to weight near the head.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

No, haven't figured out how to mount the racket by the handle in order to allow it to swing freely. So for now, the next best thing for me is to use the head mass. :D

7. ah.b|ack

ah.b|ack Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    hmm... sounds like I worried too much... but still... just out of curiosity... what you guys use to measure the BP?? XD

8. Agile_Monkey

Agile_Monkey Regular Member

Student
    use something firm and slim, a ruler or chopstick. and find the BP by balancing the racket on the ruler or chopstick. then measure it to the bottom of the handle. the higher the BP, the head heavier the racket is.

The best way to find the racket's orginal BP is without strings and additional grips.

9. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Not to forget: measure it in a straight line ;). Not drape a string along the profile for your 325mm bp AT250's out there :D

10. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

<br><br>Not to forget: measure it in a straight line ;). Not drape a string/taper along the profile for your 325mm bp AT250's out there :D (http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/91665-Yonex-Armortec-250?p=1573216#post1573216)