Chinese Mens Doubles...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Matt Ross, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi all,

Well, as we know china is the nation to contend with. They produce the best mens singles players, the best women singles player, the best womens doubles players and produce a mixed doubles pair that win the world and olympic titles. So what about men's doubles? How come china haven't produced the worlds best mens doubles pairs?

To be honest, i really have no idea. I have discussed a few reasons about this with Cheung and, although it gave me an insight, it still doesn't really answer why. Do any of you have any suggestions why this may be?

Matt

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Here are some of my thoughts, correct me if I am wrong:

1. Single can make a person be "the one" much easier than a pair (also rely on ur partner) to be "the pair". Once problems occur, sometimes, it's very hard and frustrated (talking about ppl's relationship, etc) to figure out the actual problem and solve it in a positive manner.

2. Sometimes, I think China is a little bit too "push" on MD development. A good pair needs yrs of experience with each other. However, recent yrs, seems china MD pair kept changing, or at least, internally "switching" partner around. Therefore, with limited chances of work together, it's hard to be successful in a consistent basis.

3. To me, double takes more time to develop than singles. With MD struggle, somehow, MD development team might losing confidence in some sense. It might be some promising pair existed in the past, but once they struggle, the team staff might think, "hmmm... no good... we did something wrong again...". Then the players will also get used to some sort of "losing habit".

3. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Its a good question Matt, you could just as easily say why do Korea produce only good mens doubles players and not mens singles. I think the last great chinese MD were Tian Bingyi and Li Yongbo before your time.

I think sucess breeds success and history in an event inspires others to follow in the path. Just as YY and Zhao inspired chinese MS. When there is a path laid out it is easy to follow, if you have 2 top pairs it is easier to get a third, just as indonesia had in the early nineties. However I think china have three pairs right now who could be dangerous to anyone at the worlds so maybe things are improving for their MD.

4. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Many complex reasons

This is rather a complex issue and has to be due to the combination of the following reasons:
    - double does not get much attention traditionally compare to single.
    - less incentive, less rewarding compare to single.
    - hard to find the right partner that willingly to go all the way, if he last that long.
    - lack of quality sparring partners(INA is a perfect example)
    - ineffective coaching staff(look at what Li Mao has done to Korea MS)
    - too much politics and power struggle(Li Yongbo plays big part of it)
    What esle?

5. ehzyx

ehzyx New Member

student
    i think this problem is improving now. the chinese are getting better in mens doubles. just look at cai yun and fu haifeng. their recent performance is stunning! they won the singapore open and indonesia open in a row, and miraculously not losing a set in the sudirman cup! they are the only eye catching chinese pair and the rest of the chinese pairs really need to improve. i guess it's just a matter of time before china catches up in this event

6. St00pid

St00pid Regular Member

Haha... you kinda replied to a thread that's 4 years old. :(

7. kenny7_2006

kenny7_2006 Regular Member

Working student...
    so after 4 years, the situation's more or less the same... Besides Cai Yun n Fu Haifeng, who are on fire now, the rest doesn't seem to click, or rather achieve much... The next best pair, if im not mistaken, is 50++ on the rankings...

In recent years, China has been chopping and changing their MD pairs like every year... The result? Under achievement....

Well, looks like CY/FHF will ave to fly the flag alone in MD for now...

#7 kenny7_2006, Jun 29, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2007