User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Regular Member TheSmasherKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Somewhere on earth...
    Posts
    595
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default why is it so hard to find badminton magazine in the market?

    hi... im a die hard fan of badminton sport... well, i've been looking for badminton magazine in the market (esp. at my place - malaysia)... i found it hard to find one compared to football & tennis... previously we have magazines such as tangkis & badminton for malaysian market and it's distributed by Sideks family (if im not mistaken)... but now no more... why is this situation happen? is it because the sports is not as popular as football? or is there any other limited badminton magazine in the market? if it is, would u share with us and how are we going to subscribe it?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    from Indonesia, now in China
    Posts
    2,445
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think it is HARD to find an actual badminton magazine on the market
    In Indonesia also same, badminton is not the most popular sport anymore. football take over badminton (while tennis is obviously below badminton in Indonesia)

    you can try http://www.badzine.net/ if you want to see online badminton magazine

  3. #3
    Regular Member TheSmasherKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Somewhere on earth...
    Posts
    595
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    thanx for the info.. well, i also search in the internet for online mag ... i agree with u that the ACTUAL or hardcopy magazine is disappearing but i would love to have it as a hardcopy collection
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    I think it is HARD to find an actual badminton magazine on the market
    In Indonesia also same, badminton is not the most popular sport anymore. football take over badminton (while tennis is obviously below badminton in Indonesia)

    you can try http://www.badzine.net/ if you want to see online badminton magazine

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Brunei
    Posts
    453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    What would be good contents for a baddie magazine? And those that we can sustainably write, report on a, say, monthly basis?

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    In a free market, most things are governed by supply and demand law. We also know all business is driven by profits goal.
    With Badminton magazine, there’s always a demand. However, one will wonder if the readership is high enough for the publisher to maintain a profitable business in the long and short run. I guess the answer is pretty clear.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    tampines
    Posts
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i know of one badminton magazine that is published in chinese. basically it is a magazine about the Chinese team and some of their growing up and struggles. usually will have interview with one of their first team player. only once in a while they will put in some other players like Gade or Saina, maybe in the strategy breakdown. But guess given that this magazine is in Chinese, it target the Chinese literacy market mainly and of course also the Team China fans.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    from Indonesia, now in China
    Posts
    2,445
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monster View Post
    What would be good contents for a baddie magazine? And those that we can sustainably write, report on a, say, monthly basis?
    it is not too hard..
    it should be same with tennis and a like

    main theme would be:
    professional players and tournaments
    and badminton equipment

    one or few articles about tournament
    interview with one professionals (if you can, the winner of the tournament or player in one big fight such as LCW VS Lin Dan, PG VS TH)
    A LOT of pictures from the tournament (don't worry about tournament, they have at least one tournament per month)


    Player's profile (personal interview would boost your magazine popularity)

    news about player (such as TH built TH arena or Hafiz Hashim leave the BAM)

    try to get sponsor from li-ning, Yonex etc (it will add more volume to your magazine)

    review of the badminton tools
    racket (old or new racket, preferably new, but if you can't you can review any racket, or even re-review of any racket)
    ratings for the racket?
    shoes, such as mizuno, Yonex, etc
    badminton grip: karakal, Wilson, RKEP, etc
    badminton string: BG66 sharp, NBG98, Zymax 67, Victor VS850, etc

    price list of badminton equipment (put both, RRP, and actual price)

    editorial corner
    highlights
    readers corner

    national team affairs? (if you have strong or controversial national team such as Indonesia, Malaysia, and China)

    if possible, you can add various bonus,
    the most popular and easy one: poster of the professional players
    sample grips (just 1cm * 1cm to let the reader decide the quality of the grip) (ask Yonex or any supplier to supply it and in exchange you promote their product free of charge)
    discount coupon for the reader (ask local shops if they want to sponsor it or not)
    old but effective: annual raffle, for example one ticket for final of Malaysia open
    Last edited by Avenger; 10-20-2011 at 05:16 PM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member TheSmasherKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Somewhere on earth...
    Posts
    595
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i agree.. or maybe can also put colourful giant poster of top rank players... hehehe... or maybe have an interview with the player outside their badminton life routine.. i would be intresting
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    it is not too hard..
    it should be same with tennis and a like

    main theme would be:
    professional players and tournaments
    and badminton equipment

    one or few articles about tournament
    interview with one professionals (if you can, the winner of the tournament or player in one big fight such as LCW VS Lin Dan, PG VS TH)
    A LOT of pictures from the tournament (don't worry about tournament, they have at least one tournament per month)


    Player's profile (personal interview would boost your magazine popularity)

    news about player (such as TH built TH arena or Hafiz Hashim leave the BAM)

    try to get sponsor from li-ning, Yonex etc (it will add more volume to your magazine)

    review of the badminton tools
    racket (old or new racket, preferably new, but if you can't you can review any racket, or even re-review of any racket)
    ratings for the racket?
    shoes, such as mizuno, Yonex, etc
    badminton grip: karakal, Wilson, RKEP, etc
    badminton string: BG66 sharp, NBG98, Zymax 67, Victor VS850, etc

    price list of badminton equipment (put both, RRP, and actual price)

    editorial corner
    highlights
    readers corner

    national team affairs? (if you have strong or controversial national team such as Indonesia, Malaysia, and China)

    if possible, you can add various bonus,
    the most popular and easy one: poster of the professional players
    sample grips (just 1cm * 1cm to let the reader decide the quality of the grip) (ask Yonex or any supplier to supply it and in exchange you promote their product free of charge)
    discount coupon for the reader (ask local shops if they want to sponsor it or not)
    old but effective: annual raffle, for example one ticket for final of Malaysia open

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    tampines
    Posts
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The Chinese magazine seems to have most of what you suggested except the various bonus. Plus it does have a A3 Poster of the player that is being interviewed that month and the advertisement in the magazine have most of the major brands. but equipment review is mainly the China Brand like Lining, Kason, DHS, Wish and Bonny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    it is not too hard..
    it should be same with tennis and a like

    main theme would be:
    professional players and tournaments
    and badminton equipment

    one or few articles about tournament
    interview with one professionals (if you can, the winner of the tournament or player in one big fight such as LCW VS Lin Dan, PG VS TH)
    A LOT of pictures from the tournament (don't worry about tournament, they have at least one tournament per month)


    Player's profile (personal interview would boost your magazine popularity)

    news about player (such as TH built TH arena or Hafiz Hashim leave the BAM)

    try to get sponsor from li-ning, Yonex etc (it will add more volume to your magazine)

    review of the badminton tools
    racket (old or new racket, preferably new, but if you can't you can review any racket, or even re-review of any racket)
    ratings for the racket?
    shoes, such as mizuno, Yonex, etc
    badminton grip: karakal, Wilson, RKEP, etc
    badminton string: BG66 sharp, NBG98, Zymax 67, Victor VS850, etc

    price list of badminton equipment (put both, RRP, and actual price)

    editorial corner
    highlights
    readers corner

    national team affairs? (if you have strong or controversial national team such as Indonesia, Malaysia, and China)

    if possible, you can add various bonus,
    the most popular and easy one: poster of the professional players
    sample grips (just 1cm * 1cm to let the reader decide the quality of the grip) (ask Yonex or any supplier to supply it and in exchange you promote their product free of charge)
    discount coupon for the reader (ask local shops if they want to sponsor it or not)
    old but effective: annual raffle, for example one ticket for final of Malaysia open

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    from Indonesia, now in China
    Posts
    2,445
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vcrpex View Post
    The Chinese magazine seems to have most of what you suggested except the various bonus. Plus it does have a A3 Poster of the player that is being interviewed that month and the advertisement in the magazine have most of the major brands. but equipment review is mainly the China Brand like Lining, Kason, DHS, Wish and Bonny.
    I like poster, but if you give poster every time, remember room space of your reader is NOT unlimited
    I was a big fan of technology, gaming, and anime magazine so I know how it feel having too much poster that I cannot even use
    gaming usually even give CD demo of a game, technology could give something like mouse pad. anime magazine sometimes give pin or magnet with anime chara

    to add:
    stringing technique
    gadget like iphone app that helps umpire to record score
    you can even review badminton bag (even though it would be pretty dull, give lots of pictures and you are good)
    Last edited by Avenger; 10-21-2011 at 11:53 AM.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,474
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    And to make to make it a real seller....

    Add in a contest to win a date with Wang Yihan (all expense paid...travel, accomodations, etc). I'm sure it would be a sell-out.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It would be just another advertising platform for Yonex! Ppl mostly will look at the equipments review part. Perhaps getting famous past and present popular player to regularly contribute in articles about the proper techniques in playing help. Certainly cover both local and international circuits. Doing interviews with top players is extremely difficult. s(e)x appeal sells no matter what magazine but currently none of the female players on tours excites me....lol (just kidding). Seriously, the women need to dress better not just men shorts/shirt all the time. Oh yes, get Gillian Clarks n Master Zhou as contributors.
    Last edited by S.fusion; 10-27-2011 at 04:40 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    : 08-31-2010, 01:58 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    : 08-05-2010, 05:07 AM
  3. String reels hard to find
    By mlanthier in forum Badminton String
    Replies: 2
    : 12-27-2006, 04:27 AM
  4. A Badminton Magazine
    By kokcheng in forum 2005 Tournaments
    Replies: 0
    : 11-28-2005, 07:23 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •