User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 26
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Do you guys do stretching exercise before play?

    Just wondering how many of you do this religiously? If so, what routine do you follow?I ask because 99% don't do this or they don't do enough. Some concentrate on just the shoulders but neglect the other core muscles and joints, which in my opinion could easily lead to injuries.Thanks

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    359
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yes, of course! I always stretching my body berfore play.
    My main focus are knee and ankle. Because I've suffer some injuries at that area.

  3. #3
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,732
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up Also to do the stretching exercise after play

    .
    Not only it is good to do the stretching exercise before play, but also to do the stretching exercise after play.
    .

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kidderminster, UK
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I find warming up before play far more beneficial (and have heard stretching muscles before exercise can be bad for them), and save stretching for afterwards to relax muscles/relieve tightness and aid recovery.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    its a must-do for me..

  6. #6
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    35,945
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anthemtwins View Post
    I find warming up before play far more beneficial (and have heard stretching muscles before exercise can be bad for them), and save stretching for afterwards to relax muscles/relieve tightness and aid recovery.
    spot on.

    it is better to stretch warm muscles than cold muscles. stretching warm muscles aids recovery.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,474
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I really should but don't.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    spot on.it is better to stretch warm muscles than cold muscles. stretching warm muscles aids recovery.
    Whts the theory behind this?Thks

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,890
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Aggressively over-stretching before exercise is bad. But stretching before you play is obviously a good idea to improve play and avoid injury. Just do a little warm-up before a lot of stretching (eg skip, jog).

  10. #10
    Regular Member extremenanopowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    SG. Go for NCAP-L2 certified coach.
    Posts
    11,743
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Get your heart pump up like jogging or skipping on the spot for 5 minutes, then do the stretching when warmed up. Then strokes and you can start the wham and bam... lol.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    warmup and then strectching

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kidderminster, UK
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    There are two different types of stretching, dynamic and static.
    My understanding is that once warm dynamic stretching before is exercise is good, but I'd never recommend static stretching before exercise as it's counter productive.

    Static stretches are for after exercise.

    This is how I use stretching for badminton to reduce injury and improve recovery.

    There's some good information/explanation of this here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_stretching

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I always run before stretching to get my body warmed up because stretching a cold body is bad. After that, I usually stretch my leg to my head or neck. I always count to 10 for every moves as you don't want to overstretch your body. Once, I felt lazy and it was only playing around with my friends, so I neglected my stretch and I injured my shoulder badly and the pain last for over 3-4 months. So now, even if I was just playing around with my friends or I am doing a more serious badminton, I will always stretch my body. Also, for post workout stretch, you don't need to stretch for so long because your muscle has been stretch when you play, so the purpose is just to relax the muscle. More is not necessarily better.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    KL
    Posts
    781
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anthemtwins View Post
    There are two different types of stretching, dynamic and static.
    My understanding is that once warm dynamic stretching before is exercise is good, but I'd never recommend static stretching before exercise as it's counter productive.

    Static stretches are for after exercise.

    This is how I use stretching for badminton to reduce injury and improve recovery.

    There's some good information/explanation of this here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_stretching
    i concur, perfect answer

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    from Indonesia, now in China
    Posts
    2,450
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anthemtwins View Post
    There are two different types of stretching, dynamic and static.
    My understanding is that once warm dynamic stretching before is exercise is good, but I'd never recommend static stretching before exercise as it's counter productive.

    Static stretches are for after exercise.

    This is how I use stretching for badminton to reduce injury and improve recovery.

    There's some good information/explanation of this here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_stretching
    nice one, I don't even know there is such thing as dynamic and static stretching
    I always did the dynamic one before and after

    but my friend always noisy and asked me to go to the court as fast as I can
    I ignored him and did my stretching
    I don't want to get an injury because I love badminton and I want to play badminton at least once per week (I cannot imagine few weeks without badminton)

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    nice one, I don't even know there is such thing as dynamic and static stretching
    I always did the dynamic one before and after

    but my friend always noisy and asked me to go to the court as fast as I can
    I ignored him and did my stretching
    I don't want to get an injury because I love badminton and I want to play badminton at least once per week (I cannot imagine few weeks without badminton)
    Always happens to me too, but I always ignore them and keep stretching.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    KL
    Posts
    781
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    haha, try to go earlier then :P

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    : 01-26-2012, 10:31 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    : 10-03-2008, 03:45 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    : 11-01-2005, 07:11 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    : 03-02-2005, 08:15 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    : 11-11-2003, 12:32 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •