Taking Badminton Lessons

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by CanucksDynasty, Oct 7, 2011.

1. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    So...my friend and I finally found a coach that could work with our schedule to provide private lessons. It will be at ClearOne Browngate (ie. ClearTwo) with one of their instructors. I'll post here after every session to record my progress. Hopefully my friend and I will improve enough to give Distanc3 and Tedski a run for their money the next time we meet/play (give me a few months ;)) .

This will be my first official lessons. Hope it will be a good experience.

2. ChoMama

ChoMama Regular Member

whats your name lol... like full name

3. CanucksDynasty

lol....are you my coach? :p

4. CanucksDynasty

So last night my friend and I had our 1hr badminton lesson.

Met our Coach who is very skilled (advanced) and is about 10 years younger than us. I asked him to go easy on us old folks :p. We did mainly footwook drills (as we are sorely lacking in this area) with some clears and drops drills.

Split-step
    We practiced the split-step. It's hella hard to do yet looks so simple. Must practice more at home.

Lunges
    From ready position to start moving the left leg first (cuz I'm right-handed) and lunge with the right foot with proper foot placement (outward/straight and heel-toe landing).

Proper footwork
    From ready position we had to move from the middle (using split-step) to front left corner (using lunge technique) and pick up a shuttle (9 shuttles) to middle (split step) and then to all the other corners (using lunge technique). I was so tired after this...my legs were like jello.

Scissor-Kick
    Techinque of smashing with scissor-kick to move back to ready postion.

Rear-court Forehand Clears
    Body turned sideways, elbow cocked, racket up. Start from placing weight on your right leg, moving up and twising your hip and follow through with clear/smash. Kinda hard to discribe but basically utilizing your leg/body strength. It was pointed out to me that I'm not hitting the shuttle at the peak but lower. Explains why some of my smashes are not steep enough.

Clears and Drops
    Routine of rear-court clears (with scissor-kick) to ready position to drop. Need to work on keeping my racket positioned for the drop well in advanced instead of doing it as I lunge.

All in all...I would say it was money well spent. I need to properly stretch and warm up as my thigh and calf muscles started to cramp. Need to do some of these practices at home. Also need to improve my stanima...I was so tired at the end of the lesson. I think my friend and I will keep doing lessons until we reach our coach's level (which may be never :eek:). It really helps with someone pointing out what your doing wrong and how to correct it.

Looking forward to the next lesson.

5. CanucksDynasty

Sadly...I have to postpone lessons for 2 weeks due to conflicting work schedules and availability of courts. So next lesson will be in November.

I mentioned to my wife that I would be continuing lessons...she wasn't too happy with that. Too bad...I'm doing what makes me happy (...it's not like I'm going out drinking, smoking, drugs, etc). I'm getting more exercise and being more healthy too.

6. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    I can understand how you feel. If you can get her to play Badminton, maybe that helps to change her perception. ;)

7. Tornoni

Tornoni Regular Member

Finance
    I hope your wife is OK with the $$ spent on badminton, like racquets,shoes,bags and lessions.
    If she is in the sport then problem solved.

8. GaryC

GaryC Regular Member

IT Analyst
    hehe my wife isn't to happy I am playing badminton as well.. not sure why cause I lost 20 lbs already :p

9. charlotte_alice

charlotte_alice Regular Member

Customer Service
    I am in the same position....not married though :D....I took up badminton as I was bored of not having a hobby (after trailing around with bf doing all his motorbiking etc etc) and I am desperate to loose my little podge.

I was convinced on doing it on my own and most of it I will but my bf has come a few times with me and he really enjoys it too! he's even on about getting a racket (we only use cheap garden ones and he's jealous of my AMAZING Carlton) Badminton is a very social sport, I am glad it hasn't cost me a fortune, I guess its as expensive as you make it - my club membership is £120 thats the only big outlay to me and I know good places to get items as well....

Most importantly....do what makes you feel happy, you need to have something to do, a hobby, its healthy, meet new people and have something to look forward to - I know its changed my life and I have only been doing it 3 weeks!!! xx

10. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Sorry OT.

CauncksDynasty
    , you know Tedski too. Nice chap indeed. I first met him when kwun came over to visit in May. With all your training, you'll take me to the cleaners. :p

11. CanucksDynasty

Not yet. Only had 1 lesson so far. :D

12. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

Keep up with the lessons and it will come eventually. I have lost 23kg and gained sooo much fitness since getting lessons, but I know there is so far to go, My next move is to find a competitive club but this will probably after christmas. My coach always buries me, but bizarrely I feel so much better after the lessons.

13. charlotte_alice

charlotte_alice Regular Member

Customer Service
    I love it too, yeh despite maybe not winning, for me that doesn't matter I just love the fact I am improving all the time bit by bit and getting fitter too, I roughly do 9-10 hours a week of badminton :O

14. CanucksDynasty

Lesson #2 (Yay...after a 2 week break...stupid work getting in the way :mad:)

Clears and Drops
    Just did shadow work this time. 3 sets of 5 reps. This is to get our technique right/better. Started with baseline clear and then run forward for a close net drop. Must remember to keep my racket set for the drop in advance (still have trouble with that). And also to cock the racket for a clear instead of lazily having my racket pointing downwards and do a big wind up for a clear. My legs were starting to falter. Must do some more running to get my legs in shape and increase my stamina.

Doubles Rotation
    Learning proper doubles rotation. Front/Back when attacking and Side/Side when defending. We started Side/Side. The shuttle is hit to one of us and that person moves back and does a clear/smash. The partner once he hears the shuttle being hit moves to the front middle for a net kill (2nd shuttle from the coach) and then moves back to Side/Side (preferably on the side he is nearest). The rear court player watches the front guy and moves to the side that is open. The rear court player needs to adjust and go to the open spot. We messed up a couple of times as we sometimes ended up on the same side. Practice, practice, practice.

Net Kills
    This was a fun exercise. Learning to just use wrist and finger strength for net kills instead of arm movement. Standing just back of the "T" and move/lunge to the shuttles for the net kills (both fronthand and backhand). Did several set of these. Must stregthen my wrist so I can deliver more power to the net kills. And keep my grip loose.

Close Net Drops
    This time I was feeding the shuttles to my friend while he was performing the close net drop. Finding that I have to slow down my frequency and not so high when throwing (underhand style) it over. When I'm doing the net drop ... learning to keep the racket ready with full arm existension and use leg lunge to provide the energy to get the shuttle over. I have a bad habit of having my arm half-cocked and then extending it to meet the shuttle. This is wrong since it provides too much energy to the shuttle and makes it pop up high and then over. Also I need to meet the shuttle earlier (closer to the tape level) and keep my grip loose (as a death grip will also make the shuttle spring higher).

This session was less exhausting that the first one. But we liked just as much since we are learning stuff we didn't know/practice before. Lesson #3 will be next week. I can't wait. :)

15. CanucksDynasty

She plays recreationally with me. Not so much as an enthusiast.

Haven't told her of my recent spending spree...shhhhh ;)

Good for you. Keeping doing it if it makes you happy.

16. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    You are from Leicester, so am I. Check out www.lbabadminton.org. You will find a list of clubs there, pick one that is near you. If you have any queries, contact me, I am heavily involved in Badminton in Leicester. If you join a club, let me know. (Pm if you want).

What is your level of playing?

Canucks, good luck with your training, it will certainly help you. Keep up the hard work and the game will become easier as you get better :) All the best.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

17. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

Hey Ajay,
    I will probably take you up on the offer
    Rich

18. CanucksDynasty

Lesson #3

Clears and Drops
    Same as above. Getting better at this. But really need to do some leg exercises cuz I started to run out of steam.

Side to Side
    Five shuttles aligned on each side of the singles alley. Starting in the middle, do a split-step and then do a lunge to knock the shuttle on the forehand side. Then move back to the middle, do a split-step and do a lunge to knock the shuttle on the backhand side. Repeat. Have to try to keep a low centre of gravity as it's supposed to better (less wasted movement). My legs were starting to give out.

Short Serves
    Doubles short serve to the middle. I did pretty good on this one. Need to try hitting the top strings more consistently.

Receiving Short Serves
    Drills to push the shuttle to various areas on the court. Learn to meet the shuttle early and proper ready attacking stance.

Long Single Serves
    I really need to practice this as my shuttles were going everywhere. I was slicing and hooking the serves. I really suck at it. Maybe that's why I like to do backhand serves.

Receiving Singles Serves
    Using proper form and do clears, smashes, and drops.

Time really flew by and it was over before I knew it. On to next week. :)

19. Dillon

Dillon Regular Member

Please keep us updated on Lesson 3. Definitely an interesting read.

20. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    General fitness you can always work on, but once you get better footwork you'll use less energy. Focus on the lunge and getting your legs more stable for hitting shots. Bith you and your buddy could get that intitial shot, you struggled on recovery.

I'd also suggest lots of clear drop-drop, four corners and scramble to work on making consistent contact. You had a number of mishits when we played.

Cheers,

Vining