Illegal serve?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by decoy, Oct 7, 2011.

1. decoy

decoy Regular Member

I know questions like this have been discussed a million times but I feel my situation is different. I was playing earlier and thought I would use height to my advantage. I stood right near the service line and stood on my tip toes. Even with the racket below my waist I was still able to hit the shuttle very flat over the net. I am wondering if the shuttle needs to go up before going down or if you can't stand on your toes while serving. Thanks in advance.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    :eek: how tall are you?

yes. it has to go up. according to the rule:

9.1.8 the flight of the shuttle shall be upwards from the server’s racket to pass over the net so
    that, if not intercepted, it shall land in the receiver’s service court (i. e. on or within the
    boundary lines);

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Sounds like with your height you should be playing basketball instead of badminton. :p

4. decoy

decoy Regular Member

@visor I play both xD. @kwun how can you tell if the shuttle goes up or not. The shuttle doesn't go straight or anything it's just very flat compared to standing flat footed

5. decoy

decoy Regular Member

If a badminton net is 5 feet high the shuttle is going up a foot or my serve is illegal. It is 5 feet right?

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you yourself cannot tell that well. ask someone else to look at it from the side.

to be legal service, the shuttle need to be struck around the waist, which is the bottommost rib. that's usually around 5/8 of the the total height of a person.

given that the net is 5 feet tall, you will need to be around 8 feet tall to have it go flat over the net.

if you are not 8 feet tall, and it goes flat, then either you have a really unusual body proportion, or your service is illegal. ;)

7. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Yea I was doing the math thinking it seemed weird too. I'm a little over 6' so 5/8 is around 4' so it must have been less flat then I thought or I had my arms to high. Thanks for the help I'll have to keep it in mind next time I play

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    6 feet!

imagine if it does go flat, your contact point will have to be as high as your chin!

9. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Well standing on my toes adds a foot but honestly it couldn't surprise me if it was illegal cause I was wearing jeans when I tried this and not really playing super official. But aside from that it is legal to stand on your toes t serve?

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    unless you wear size 16 shoes and stand tippy toe like a ballet dancer, you will be lucky to get 6 more inches. ;)

11. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Ask Holvy for a demonstration next time you are at Bintang Campbell. His drive serve is a killer, but totally legal.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. experienced it myself. :eek:

but despite so, the shuttle still goes up after leaving the racket.