Getting started: Best way?

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by JesterMania, Oct 9, 2011.

1. JesterMania

JesterMania New Member

Hello all,

I have never played badminton before and want to get started over the course of this winter. Can anyone advise me how I should go about doing this (i.e. recommend a club, coaching, etc.)? I live in the North York area so anything Toronto metro, North York, Scarborough, or the southern parts of Markham/Richmond Hill are all good. I'm looking for a place that's newbie-friendly and maybe, offer decent coaching as well to get me started.

Thanks!

2. Ulzzang

Ulzzang Regular Member

3. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    If you haven’t played badminton before and would like to start, you may want to enrol yourself into a badminton club in GTA area. For places to play (or club to join), you may visit this site, www.ontariobadminton.on.ca/.

Joining a club is a good way to go, since you will get to play and watch players from different skill levels.
    In addition, some clubs do offer private coaching lessons to those who wish to improve themselves.

As beginner, you need not invest too much into any expensive equipment, i.e. racket. What’s more important is getting a pair of good badminton shoes and learn the proper badminton technique (such as footwork).

Often visit BC forum as you can read up a lot of good information on this sports and also allows dialogues amongst subscribers.

4. JesterMania

JesterMania New Member

Thanks a lot for the advice. I will definitely look up the Markham Badminton Club and also check out the Ontario Badminton website. And yes, I stumbled upon this forum by accident but it seems to be quite active and full of expert advice. I'll take my first steps to look for a club and get an inexpensive racquet!

5. MBCLLAP

MBCLLAP Regular Member

Hello,

If you live in North York, it might be a bit far for you to drive to Markham, but if you don't mind driving, you are more tham welcome to join us at the Markham Badminton Club. Our program is gear toward beginner players, where 70% of our players are beginner and we give lesson to youth beginner at no extra cost. We recently started a program to teach adult beginner at Markham District High School, every Sunday 4 pm to 7 pm. One hour instruction and the remaining time are playing with other beginner players. $40 for 3 hours of badminton for 15 weeks, birds are provided and instuction are free. If you are interested, please email us at ==> info@markhambadminton.com