what's the rule on this?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by hesho, Oct 10, 2011.

1. hesho

hesho Regular Member

so.. i was watching a game being played by the kids a month ago and something really weird happened. First i should mention that high schoolers here player with nylon. It was a doubles game and the player does a cross court drop at the net. The other player digs it out and crawls up and over the net. This is what is weird.

The shuttle crawled down and then the "feather" got stuck in the net. What would the call on this? I told them to make it a let but i talked to another coach and she said it should be a let because the player got the shot over. My reply to that was, "ya but, the shuttle is still in play".

Any idea?

oh, i haven't checked the rules in awhile but, I know before, you can hit the shuttle twice and it was legal as long as it's 1 fluid motion. Does this rule still apply? Same with the rule of throwing the racquet. I know that before, you could throw your racquet and if it somehow hit the shuttle and went over, it was a legal shot. Does this still apply as well?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Q1: yes it's a let because the bird doesn't fall into the ground. (Rule 14.2.3.2) ..... Q2: yes legal if one fluid stroke. .....Q3: no rules saying the racket has to be held in hand. :p.

#2 visor, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  3. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Q1: This was on my umpire exam, it is considered a let. No matter how tight the net shot would be, if it goes over, the other player can still attempt a net shot to make it over, you don't know what will happen. But since it is stuck onto the net, that player cannot attempt the shot any longer, so it is unfair to them.

Q2: It has to hit the frame and the strings for it to be legal in 1 motion.

4. alexh

alexh Regular Member

Q1: correct, but this is only for a shot played during a rally. If it happens on service then it's a fault. And I've seen this happen with a feather shuttle too.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Good catch! :thumbsup: Rule 13.2.1 and 13.2.2. I suppose because if the shuttle does finally fall, it'll be way short of the service line anyways. :)

#5 visor, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011