Please Recommend a Doubles Racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by drop8shot, Oct 10, 2011.

1. drop8shot

drop8shot Regular Member

I have been playing badminton for about one and a half years and I play around 6 hours a week. I would say I am an advanced beginner or a low intermediate player. I've never had any formal coaching. I only play doubles. I would say I am more of a defensive and control player. My strengths are that I have a good low serve, good drop and I love to block and deflect opponent's smashes. My weakness are that I have a weak smash, both in technique and power, which is why I usually prefer to play a drop instead. Although I am slowly improving my smash I still find that they either lack power or go way too high over the net.
    Currently I use and have always used from the beginning a Yonex Arcsaber 7, which I find is a great racket. However I want to get an upgrade. I would prefer flexible rackets as I don't have the arm power to handle stiff rackets. Also considering I am a defensive player I don't think I would like head heavy rackets.
    I am not limited to just Yonex rackets, but as I live in the UK these are definitely the most popular and accessible. Which rackets can you recommend for me, thanks.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Your Arc 7 is already the best fit for you. If you want to try a different brand, consider Victor MX70 or BS12. Both excellent rackets for your purpose, mod stiff and med stiff respectively.

3. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    the armortec 900 technique could be a nice change, tho it's head heavy, when you choke on the handle it's still light enough for you to maneuver the racket quick enough for doubles, that's what i would suggest. if you know someone who has different rackets the best way is to try it out and see if it feels right in your hand :)

4. drop8shot

drop8shot Regular Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I did think about the Victor MX70 but it is difficult to get hold of in the UK. I have a MX80 although I've never played with it and intend to trade it for a Voltric 70, so my question is do you think the Voltric 70 would be suitable for doubles?

5. TiKok

TiKok Guest

Coming from an AS7, VT70 isn't indicated because of the head-heaviness of the racquet.
    I tend to think like visor that the AS7 is still the best fit for you.

The AT900T as gundamzaku proposes is an intelligent option, except maybe its stiffness.

6. Benwilluk

Benwilluk Regular Member

Marketing
    I can second visor's recommendation for the BS12 as it fits yours specs perfectly. it is medium flexed, even balanced and very fast in defence with great touch. the price is quite reasonable as well through Central Sports in the UK.

The MX70 is slightly stiffer and with more weight towards the head, saying that also a good racket.

I have both as i like the same specs as you and both are great rackets :eek:)

7. drop8shot

drop8shot Regular Member

where did you get your MX70 from? it's difficult to find in the UK.

8. kaiyuan

kaiyuan Regular Member

Student
    Maybe you can try BS 09 or 11, it is medium stiffness and is fast and maneuverable =)

9. Benwilluk

Benwilluk Regular Member

Marketing
    Singapore - you cannot get them over here yet

10. nlambino

nlambino Regular Member

IT
    Since you mentioned this, I would highly recommend the Nanospeed 9000 Type S. Its head light, very good in defense and control. I've used it for a year now and I do not find it stiff nor is it difficult to produce powerful smashes with it. I've tried the Nanospeed 9900 and to me it is stiffer than the NS 9000 Type S.

You can't go wrong with the Nanospeed 9000 Type S :)

11. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

u mean equivalent of Arc saber 7 for victor is MX70 & BS12?

12. Benwilluk

Benwilluk Regular Member

Marketing
    I switched from an arc 7 and now have the MX70 and BS12

13. gundamzaku

working professional
    Playing with my arc100ltd which is virtually the same as an arc7 I guess the only diff I can feel is the weight distribution. But then again I was never too keen on the flexibility of the shaft of rackets :(

14. Sen_jie

Sen_jie Regular Member

Student
    somehow i will recommend a Victor BS09. a little bit head heavy and flexible racket. the slight head heavy should improve your smash swing yet at the same time will not compromise on your defense. One of my favourite racket in my arsen

15. TheSmasherKing

TheSmasherKing Regular Member

Goverment officer
    i agree :)

16. alanwong76

alanwong76 Regular Member

Interior Deco
    for personal opinion... since i only use yonex racket.. nanospeed 9900 or nanoray 700RP will suite you for sure.

17. gundamzaku

working professional
    Would nanoray series be too light???

18. alanwong76

alanwong76 Regular Member

Interior Deco
    xD another personal opinion..according to others thread about doubles, it take about speed and control more than smashes right ? so if you can't make power smash, why don't go for speed and control..but for myself, i use arcsaber 10. it provide me even balance, no doubt nanospeed really give more on control, but i like smashing more than it. xD

19. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

so 3 issues are:
    Weak smash from poor power & technique
    Prefer flexible
    Defensive player

try victor SW37 or BS12 as both are even balance and medium flexible. however, since you're in UK try the new carlton prototype V1.0 someone linked that there's a sale now on sportsdirect for 50 squids from 200 squids since the new razor V1.0 is out :p

since you have a weak smash you shouldn't limit yourself to light head racket, you should try slightly heavy head but lighter (4u equivalent) racket like yonex VT60 or medium entry VT7 as both are medium flex and slightly head heavy and available in 4u.

but really if you play lots of doubles you might need to get used to a stiffer racket from all the flat exchanges :p try NS9900?

20. shihman

shihman Regular Member

my 2 cents is out of the 3 issues you have, only being a defensive style player suits the NS9900. in order to get the most out of NS9900, you gotta have a strong wrist and good techniques because it is EXTRA stiff. unless you don't mind not having a powerful smash instead play a fast pace with flat push type game. not saying NS9900 doesn't have power because it does. you just need to have the right technique to generate it. nevertheless i personally think NS9900 is one of the best doubles racket.