User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Noob inside! Help me with basic footwork!

I've just started my first badminton training lesson a few days ago, hoping to learn up some basic footwork which is one of the key areas I'm totally bad at.

p/s: Right hander

So the first thing he taught me was footwork. He told me to use 4 steps to move to the 2 back corners or the the front 2 corners, starting with the left leg. So it's basically, left---> right---> left and then ending with the right leg.

I'm quite ok with the steps for front court work aka net play(moving forward) but extremely not confortable with the back court play, that is having me to move several steps backwards to hit the shuttle.

Also I do know that it's a must to be having your right leg behind(or rather body balance on your right) when smashing/lobbing the ball BUT I'm not too sure about the "start with your left leg part" for shots at the back of the court

One reason is because I've seen a lot of materials online that people often use start off with moving their right leg behind first, followed by a "sidestep" or "skipping" by the left leg <---- Not sure of the terminology here... but something like in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSmfl...tailpage#t=77s

I see all the pros playing, they always use this "skipping" technique..like LCW'S slow mo footwork video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haMmo...eature=related

so I'm not too sure why my coach is asking me to use move my left leg behind first, then only the right leg. Perhaps it's just the very basic? Btw, my class is big.. around 10 ppl for 2 hours, so there is little time spent on each person. Adding the the fact that I'm new while the others are already way more advanced than me, so he didn't quite explain specifics and reasons..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right foot first, chasse, then you should be somewhere near the rearcourt forehand corner from a mid base position , with your right foot back/nearer the rear court.

The same is said for going to the forehand net, chasse (right, left right). The feet do not cross, basically speaking. There is a mixture amongst players that do rear crossovers etc, but the majority would move racket foot first to the forehand side.

It can be seen sometimes that a player moves left foot first but this is normally when moving directly through base from somewhere else, basically a running step.

If you're practising footwork routines from a base position and then returning to base then please move racket foot first. It's also as important to learn to split step at the right time.

Regards

Gary

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When moving to your rear court forehand corner from base, you will start in the "centre" of the court, with your feet slightly more than shoulders width apart, and your right foot slightly in front of the other.

The first step, as coachgary stated, is with your right foot. The key to this step, is to take a well balanced step towards the forehand deep corner, turning your hips so that they line up with the direction you want to go (like you see in the first video you posted). This right step is often pivoted around the left foot, and hence some people may consider it as starting with your left foot.

You then take a left step, and a final right step (they could cross over, or not, it doesn't matter). After the final right step, you should be ready to hit the shuttle and perform some sort of jump. A block jump is easiest in the forehand rear corner (where your right foot remains behind the left foot all the time).

The jump can be made for distance, OR for height, OR both (but this is quite advanced).

Note: this footwork is for when the shuttle is high enough to attack. If you are taking the shuttle lower, use the same footwork (right left right) but the final step is a lunge, and you would not jump (you would make sure you are facing the shuttle, and then drive it back straight over the net).

I would say, that the front court does not ever need 4 steps (unless perhaps you are running in from the backline having hit a smash). Two steps is more than enough - left, right.