How to play against someone who has very good clears and good defence?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Capnx, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

In a single's match, what should you do against someone who's very good defensively and who has a very strong/consistent clear that can be both quick/flat aggressive or high defensive?

I have tried playing the corners or being aggressive with fast/slow drops and sideline smashes, but he is very good at defending, and his clears are very deep that once I'm in the back I don't know what shots to do. If I drop he's most likely waiting at fore court, if I clear he has enough time to clear it back to me. I guess he's a counter puncher, but I don't know how to pass through him.

Thanks

2. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    Play a flat game though centre of the court to limit angles. Smash to the body.

3. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

This particular type of player is quite hard to play against.:(

When playing a player with a good defensive game, it's important that you move your opponent from side to side, and try and mix up the speed of your shots to keep him guessing.

You might want to try and keep the shuttle around the net, and force a short lift for you to attack, even a great defense will not be able to stop a full smash from half court.

I agree with post #2. keeping a flat game should help, however Smashing to the body all the time doesn't work the opponent, so try and vary your choice of shot. Playing flat can force your opponent out of sync and behind in the rally which is useful.

Hope this helps:)

4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

This is very instructive stuff. Thank you to OP and repliers.

Would you high-level players also prescribe playing a very patient game with this sort of opponent?
    Capnx sounds frustrated when he finds himself, yet again, at the back of the court. I would expect that a lot of points could be lost in trying to finish the rally off too quickly from that position with smashes and drops.

If you have to clear his clears a few times until you feel you've got a bit of time or angle to work something out, that isn't a bad thing, is it?

5. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

yea I tend to try to finish a point after 4-6 ralliers because I feel I don't have the stemina to play a very physical game. This works ok against average players because I can either move them out of position or I can power through with smashes, but against this player, almost everything I do I feel like I just end up at the baseline again when he clears. so it is frustrating to the point that I'm out of ideas as to what shot to make other than clears at the baseline.

Thanks for the tips, i'll try the flat shot strategy

6. indrato

indrato Regular Member

"This particular type of player is quite hard to play against.:(" its true i guess

Much like hendrawan, his smash is nothing to write about but his clear is very good. He beat peter gade in thomas cup if i am not wrong.

7. ViningWolff

Process Engineer
    Smashing to the body is a more controlled game and in most cases means that you are smashing to centre.

You are not trying to work the opponent, you are trying to handcuff him from using the stength of his game, which is clears and from what I gather, stamina.

8. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

But regardless where I smash (sides or body) the position where I smash from and the quality of my smash must be good. When the clear is deep and I'm at the baseline, even if I smash to the body the speed and angle cannot be that great and it'll be an easy block/drop for him and I am again on the defensive.

9. ViningWolff

Process Engineer
    That's where the flatter play comes into it. if you go for a steep angles smash, which typcially is based off the jump smash, thise dude probably can get a deep lift back.
    I tend to go with a flatter smash (no jumping) with aiming for the torso. My flat smashes are much harder than my jump smash and are way more awkward to return deep when they go to the body.

10. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

not a high level player but...

Patience is key against this type of player, their key attributes all centre around getting their opponent frustrated and starting to snatch at half chances that just aren't there. This is how they are hard to play against. You will end up making 4-5 easy mistakes that give your opponent an advantage. It's like kicking a football against a wall against this type of player, everything just comes back at you, and the harder you kick it, the faster it will come back at you, making it harder to control and choose where to hit it next.

yes, but only if you have a similar stamina level, if you're not as fit as your opponent then this kind of option is an unlikely tactic. Working an angle and getting something short is a good way to play if you can keep up. Don't let them dictate play though.

Hope that helps:)

Hendrawan is a very good example:) I had to watch his Olympic match with Gade to remind myself of how he player but this seems to be similar style to what the opponent is up against.

I would recommend the smash at the body technique, this reduces the angles they can play.

11. alexh

alexh Regular Member

Is he good at drop shots too, or only clears? You could try moving your base position back. If you stand closer to the back of the court, waiting for his clears, then you'll force him to play a different style of game. (Or if he keeps on clearing, you'll have an easier time of it.)