Etiquette Question

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Cloud7z, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Cloud7z

Cloud7z Regular Member

I was wondering, in a tournament, is it bad etiquette to quickly have a sip of a drink after a long rally?

2. S.fusion

S.fusion Regular Member

I don't see any problem if he doesn't cause any undue delay. It will be courteous to make a gesture to you quickly to signal his intention.

3. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

If there is no umpire in the tournament, you should at least ask your opponent if it's okay to take a sip to be more courteous.

4. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    The only time it isn't ok to have a drink is when the opponent has won several rallies in a row, then it would appear that you are trying to prevent your opponents winning streak.
    It's always polite to ask, but if they keep refusing then just go and take a drink and there isn't much they can do about it, just don't get a drink after every rally.

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    An etiquette question

If quickly to have a sip of a drink after a long rally is to delay in play, then it's no longer a etiquette question, but a tactical one.

Check out this (competition) law;

Law 16. CONTINUOUS PLAY, MISCONDUCT & PENALTIES

16.4 Delay in play

16.4.1 Under no circumstances shall play be delayed to enable a player to recover strength or wind or to receive advice.

16.4.2 The umpire shall be the sole judge of any delay in play.

But for a friendly match; Just make a request: "Let's take a break". :):):)

#5 chris-ccc, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  6. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    But in a tournament in the early rounds you may not have an umpire. So you have to ask the opponent for permission, but if you feel dehydrated then it is a health reason.
    Most opponents will oblige as long as you ask.
    In tournaments, even with umpires, they allow drinks breaks.

7. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

No in a tournament without an umpire, it's absolutely out of order without asking...

I played a tournament recently, where i had won the first game, but I injured myself at the start of the second game, and was tired (had played about 4 long matches in the previous two or so hours) I was down 13-19, shuttle was done so he asked to change it which was fine, when he came back he took a drink and so did I (this was fine as both obliged)
    I hit 7 straight winners, to 20-19 maximum 4 shots in a rally, and all of a sudden he went to the side to take a drink, claiming he was tired. I knew fine well that he was trying to break the momentum that I had, I was pretty annoyed at this point, and said simply "you can't do that" to which he shrugged. Totally out of order, to which I consider it being cheating, if he has asked I would have said no, cause I didn't need a break, and I knew he didn't either.

Blatant cheating at it's best, and it worked! It annoyed me so much that I lost that game 20-22, luckily I used my anger in a good way for the final game, won 21-8 in the end.:)

8. S.fusion

S.fusion Regular Member

So we all agree that the rule book isnt complete then? May be a player should have maximum of 2 1-minute-drink-breaks in a match. But then can you imagine teams calling time out in a football match like the American football?

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Not respecting the umpire's decision ???

The rule book is complete.

16.4.2 states that 'The umpire shall be the sole judge of any delay in play'.

You are probably thinking differently (asking what we players and observers think), and not respecting the umpire's decision.

10. S.fusion

S.fusion Regular Member

No, you misunderstood. No all matches have umpire. Is a social game and yet a very competitive situation, what would you do?

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

How 'social' versus how 'competitive'

16.4.2 states that 'The umpire shall be the sole judge of any delay in play'.

Therefore if there is no umpire, then the players can argue until the cows come home.

It is the same when both opponents not agreeing if a shot is 'in' or 'out'; If there is no umpire (who is to call it 'in' or 'out'), the match can be abandoned when both sides disagree on the call.

The question really depends on the match - How 'social' versus how 'competitive'. ;););)

12. S.fusion

S.fusion Regular Member

how social? friendly match between pals or between clubs
    how competitive? you kidding me, :) I mean who wants to LOSE? I know I don't.

that's why I said the rule book isn't as complete, now I hope you see what I mean.
    Take golf for example, the golf rules cover all possible scenarios. And if you discover an unique situation not covered, drop the governing body a quick email and the Royal & Ancient Golf Club will give you a swift reply and add to the rule book if need be.

as for the disputable 'in' and 'out' shots, what we do in my play group is whoever is nearest to the shuttle get to call the shot, ie, if the shuttle falls on my side of the court, I make the final decision as I am closer to the spot where the shuttle falls thus I am a better judge vice versa. if your opponent wants to play foul, let him because how one behaves on the court carries beyond the court. Sooner or later, he will be heading towards the exit door alone.

#12 S.fusion, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  13. Cloud7z

Cloud7z Regular Member

I mean in quite competitive games without an umpire. e.g. early rounds of a county tournament.

14. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

No it's not acceptable without both players agreeing to it, 1 not agreeing to it means no break should be allowed...