Difficult to smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by observer, Oct 13, 2011.

1. observer

observer Regular Member

Hi,
    I found when people lift/clear the shuttle to rear court. when shuttle moving downward 90 degree, i found out it is very difficult to smash.

90 degree.jpg

Any advice? or this kind if shuttle dropping downward 90degree not meant to be smash?
    may be the drawing not that clear but the shuttle is coming down like 90 degree above my head. But hope can gain some tips. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

2. Leon Lim

Leon Lim Regular Member

move back, the best spot for smash is one elbow length to the front and around 160 degrees from the ground. this is my experience but i am still a noob and i believe that the pros would have better advice

3. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

yes, if the clear is very high and deep that pushes you all the way to the back line, it may actually not be a good idea to smash in singles unless you're very good. you can try to learn to jump smash, which will add a steeper angle to your smash but doesn't mean it'll be harder; if you don't jump, smashing at back court may be more of a flatter flight. either way (jump or no jump), smashing at back court can open yourself to counter attacks.

what you can try is using smash to create opportunities instead of instantly winning a point. vary the speed and angle of your smash, then follow up. if you know your opponent likes to simply block smashes, then smash and followup to the net and try to rush him that way. but using smash to create oppportunities can be very tiring because you're the one that'll be running/attacking.

4. observer

observer Regular Member

Normally with you smash from back court, do you make sure the contact point is one arm to reach the shuttle with an angle about 10 to 15 degree infront you or may be more? shuttle.jpg

5. observer

observer Regular Member

Hi Capnx,
    Sometimes i find the shuttle like dropping faster and faster from 90 degree angle. i often mis-hit if i do jump during 90 degree shuttle facing downwards so normally even if i jump i'm just like given no choice but to give a clear or a drop back to opponent. is it actually my racket surface should be flat together with the shuttle? but logically the shuttle will go straight.
    Or i should let me racket surface slant abit?
    about how many degree?
    or sometimes is it the shuttle too near me?
    Sorry asking too much :p
    shuttle2.jpg

6. visor

visor Regular Member

A shuttle that is falling down near vertically anywhere, especially close to the baseline, is very difficult to smash due to accurate timing that is required to hit it perfectly on the cork and not the feathers. So the answer is don't smash, just clear to baseline corner or drop.

7. observer

observer Regular Member

thanks ! :)

8. Aurora_

Aurora_ Regular Member

This was one of my favourite shot actually, throw a near vertical shuttle to opponent baseline :) Usually more effectively execute from frontcourt lift than forecourt clear.

The different between this shot and normal clear is your racket hit the feather first (everyone know that :p)

In order to hit a good smash, your stroke need to be crisp with very fast contact time. The cork and feather should leave the racket face almost immediately.

In normal smash the shuttle come right at you, you have direct contact to the base, and flip the shuttle. Hence if your stroke isn't brief enough with longer contact time, you can still hit a good shot (or smash).

But for vertical approach, you have to hit it fast. Shorter contact time, tighter grip during contact, power transfer more effectively to the shuttle during contact. Certain racket attribute (head heavy, stiff, higher tension) actually help in this kind of extreme shot.

9. ericchoo

ericchoo New Member

BEDminton
    I also find it hard to smash from baseline and i'd normally just clear to baseline or net/drop.

@Aurora_
    My question might sound strange but when u said "your stroke need to be crisp with very fast contact time"; does it have any difference with giving all you got power with swift stroke and propel your arm forward kinda movement or there's a trick to it?

10. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

i think its more of a wrist snapping smash than an arm power motion.

11. visor

visor Regular Member

The "trick" is all in the timing. Must be exactly accurate on the sweetspot, exactly on the cork first, and perfectly crisp as in as short a strike contact time as possible. All of this also means that your footwork and judgment has to be excellent in order to get you to the exact spot under the bird to hit it right. Not to mention a jump is required to get a steep angle from the baseline. That's why most people would just clear it right back instead. :p :D

12. ericchoo

ericchoo New Member

BEDminton
    Well said there, visor and thanks. I've got the 'picture' now :)

13. ghoster4u

ghoster4u Regular Member

Your ask for an advise to take the shot with smash.

As for me there is a way.

The trick is to take the shot at the highest point.
    In other word, hit the shuttle above the sweet spot (between sweet spot and top head frame).

If you do it right the shuttle will go as a smash.
    How will you feel = its feel like hitting a rock, the bounce of the racket is quite hard. your racket will flap.

Effect = the effect is, percentage for the string to break is high. 60%++