Getting consistent overhead action

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by fiish, Oct 13, 2011.

1. fiish

fiish Regular Member

Engineer
    I'm looking for advice on getting some consistency in my over-the-head strokes. Information as the sticky asks as below:

• your level of play? Been playing regularly less than 2 years, so... beginner.
    • your physical built: Male, mid-20s, medium height, low strength
    • what are you trying to achieve / learn? please give specific objectives if possible.
      • Get consistent length on clears
      • Get good angle on smashes
      • Play drops that are not simple netkills for opponent
    • what have you tried? what was the result?
      • Of the 4-6 hours of social games I play each week I might get an hour to practise with someone from the group. Before June I was not able to clear base to base at all, now it is often possible.
      • did you have any particular difficulties in performing a certain part of the technique?
        • Don't think I am combining the stroke with footwork well, especially going into my backhand corner. Been practising to try use forehand in the corner because I can't hit backhand clears at all :(
        • Direction (left/right/centre) not well controlled, the shot often goes in a different direction from where I think I was going to hit it
      • how is the outcome not as good as you expected?
        • Clears seem to have inconsistent length in relation to perceived effort of stroke. In the same game, have felt some strokes to be very hard, yet the shuttle is not travelling far, and then hit a crosscourt clear that felt effortless yet went out the back.
        • Attempted smashes either too flat or so steep they don't get over - hit the tape a lot, and often attempted smashes travel high enough that a fast opponent can kill them (happens a lot in doubles when I have to get back for flick/drive serves)
    The obvious solution I have been trying is more practice, am hoping BCers can share advice on making the practice more effective and/or getting the basic techniques right. I don't really have an aspiration to be playing competitively right now, the reason for wanting to learn is to have good basics, not get injured and pick up as few bad habits as possible (want to play 'nice and flowing' badminton:)).

2. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    1st off, look at youtube for there are plenty of videos on technique.

The best way to be consistent is to try to hit drills, try clear, play net shot, clear, net shot etc etc.

Timing is the key, ave the correct grip, relax. When we try to hit hard, extra hard, we tense up which loses us power. We should only tense up upon impact of shuttle. Rest of time relaxed :).

Get into position. Do not hit the shuttle behind you. It should be slightly infront of you. If you let it drop, it should land around infront of your front foot. Try and hit directly in line with the shuttle. If you hit if from having to reach out to the side makes it a harder shot to control. Get the arm well behind your back and remember to twist the forearm into the shot to get the power.

Once agin study the videos on youtube. Theres a real good 1 from a member here but I cant find it. Grrr

3. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
  4. visor

visor Regular Member

Excellent advice above already. One more thing to keep in mind when you strike the bird: think of it as throwing the racket at the bird, without letting go of the racket of course! Clearing and smashing actions are very similar to that.

5. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

yup, backhand clear stroke is the exact reverse of an overhead smash. visualise the motion before you strike you'll get right :D

6. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

there are quite a no of good videos here

http://www.badmintonconnect.com/

u
    may want to do a search on what u want to focus on.

beside the videos, in the end as per any sport or any activity

Practice makes perfect.

Hope u enjoy yr practices.

7. fiish

fiish Regular Member

Engineer
    Thank you for the advice.

In my last few sessions I have tried to make more of an effort to get behind the shuttle more quickly, when I manage to the overhead throwing action does seem easier to get right. So I'll put more effort into footwork practice too :)

Might take weeks or months of practising and trying to copy the videos, I'll just relax and improve patiently :D