Setting...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Matt Ross, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Quick question..

When and why was setting invented? I mean, is there any real need for setting in the modern game, why not just go straight through? Anyone got any reasons why setting was introduced?

Matt

2. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    It's probably one way to make the game more interesting.
    It's kind of like overtime in NBA, everyone is excited!:)

3. AKFT

AKFT Regular Member

In a commercial world, the break between sets is commercial time. It's time the TV stations sell to pay for broadcasting the game. From a financial point of view, the more breaks a sport has the more lucrative it is to the broadcaster. That's why baseball and American football are so ideally suited for TV. From an athletic point of view, those kinds of sports are too disjointed for my liking.

4. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

stating the obvious, setting the game gives the recieving team a better chance to get serve back. Whereas if they played straight through, whether it was first or second serve for the serving side, there's less chance of getting the service back/winning the game. I believe that in this world today, there is just too much skill in the game of badminton than compared to past years, and therefore if both sides arrive to a tie, with that much skill, there is too much to risk on the line cause ONE point is a big difference than THREE. (it's kind of hard to put it in words with the "skill" part and the "speed" of the game, i hope you get some sort of idea of what i'm trying to say).

But anyways, looking at casual clubs..I'm not sure if this happens at your club..but here, almost EVERYONE sets if they arrive at a tie. ...and this is in the modern world? why eh?