strings for the non-powerful

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by rgevero, Oct 17, 2011.

1. rgevero

rgevero Regular Member

hello. i should say i'm an intermediate player. but i don't have a lot of power. which string is best if your arms are quite weak? (not a hard hitter)

2. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    any string at lower tension.

3. ghooga

ghooga Regular Member

Bean Counter, Student
    Rgevero, I think you should specifically look at the kind of racket that you're using instead of focusing on the string. For someone with weaker arms, you might want to use a racket that is either head-light or even-balance. As for the string, keep it at lower tension like what's suggested by urameatball. To start off, you might want to have your racket strung at 22 lbs.

4. rgevero

rgevero Regular Member

dumbells?

maybe i could also do dumbells to develop my arms?

5. urameatball

Photographer
    that depends on whether you're physically weak, or have poor technique, or both.
    if you have poor technique, your first priority is to fix it, otherwise dumbbells will just make you a strong person with bad form, lol.

6. rgevero

rgevero Regular Member

i agree. i should say my technique is average.. i do pronation but it's not yet perfect. i try hitting the sweet spot but again not perfect. i try hit at 11 o'clock but again not perfect. i try to hit high but many times i hit low. maybe i need stretching exercises? i am not the varsity type player but i win in friendly cups with club members in the court where we play.

i admit i have to improve my technique. but i think there are rackets and strings and string tensions that could help. for one, i think stiff rackets are not for me, based on my experience with babolat x-feel power (it's stiff right?). opinions?

7. awekuda

awekuda Regular Member

Pemukul Bulu
    Stronger arm wouldn't make you hit harder..stronger wrist will increase your hitting power(Proper technic) and you can try yonex bg66 for the string :D...

8. juventus1

juventus1 Regular Member

if you can only hit weak shot because of your technique, wrist, finger and footwork.. then go for thinner strings.

Maybe go for BG66UM, BG66 for the medium feel..

Go for BG6 if you feel that medium feel is too hard on the hit.

These strings are more replusive... furthermore due to your strength, the string will last you longer as compared to hard hitter...

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    BG65 @ around 24lbs or so is actually quite bouncy.

10. rgevero

rgevero Regular Member

bg65 vs bg80

i have a friend who owns a yonex armotec 250 strung with bg65 @ 25lbs. i tried it. i liked the power of the racket. so i decided to buy an armotec 250 racket also, but i used bg80 @ 25lbs. it's not as powerful as the one with bg65. maybe thinner strings are not for me?

11. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

Considering that you are in Phillpines / South East Asian region, I'd suggest to opt for thinner string strung at higher tension. amongst others:

1. Nanogy 98 (JP) strung at 27-28 Lbs for considerations of good repulsion/good durability/lack of feeling,

or

2. BG66 Ult (JP) / BG66 (JP) Max strung at 24-25-26 Lbs for considerations of good repulsion/good feeling/lack of durability.

12. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

sorry, typo error

2. BG66 Ult (JP) / BG66 MAX (JP) Max strung at 24-25-26 Lbs for considerations of good repulsion/good feeling/lack of durability.

13. urameatball

Photographer
    probably because bg65 stretches and loses tension whereas bg80 holds tension much better (well, anything holds tension better than bg65).
    weak players generally work best with lower tension. If you're stringing at 25lb and up, you might sound cool to all your friends, but your shots will be weaker.
    If I heard an intermediate player was stringing over 25lb, my first tactic playing against him is force him to the backcourt and move in because his attacks will be weak and his arm will get tired quickly.

14. rgevero

rgevero Regular Member

so what tension do i use?

so what's the ideal tension for me? 22?

15. Khai_AS10

Khai_AS10 Regular Member

Project Basis
    Well... I guess urameatball highlighted the point there..... you may feel the power by test your stroke.... firstly what you should do is try lower tension of 22lbs etc..... play with it and improve your hitting techniques... once your playing technique become better then co-currently do some arms, fingger and wrist excersices..... good luck bro!!

16. rgevero

rgevero Regular Member

exercises suggestions

can you suggest some exercises then? or share links? the internet is full of that. however, i don't know what to follow. some are clutter. some conflict with each other. the exercise that i really want is how to hit the shuttle cock at the highest optimal point because some people comment that my elbow is bent when i do an overhead clear (baseline to baseline). other exercises will also be welcome.

17. Khai_AS10

Khai_AS10 Regular Member

Project Basis
    Hi rgevero,
    1. Just using your racket straight up 11 or 12 o'clock and start using your wrist to strike or stroke without move your arms.... do this 15-30 times and take 2 minutes rest.....
    2. Use the same movement for your backhand stroke...
    3. Do some walling with used shuttlecocks....

These are some basics exercises.....

18. rgevero

rgevero Regular Member

do i use a "normal racket"? i also have a racket where i put 9coins on the head to make it heavy. that's what i use at home when i am just sitting down and doing nothing. i exercise my wrists!

at 11 or 12, do i do a pronation move?

19. urameatball

Photographer
    I'll guess your ideal tension if you can guess my favourite food. LOL

22 is a good starting point.
    for reference, kids often find 18-19lb to be optimal. I know quite a few girls who find they play best at 20lb or lower. Assuming you're more powerful than most girls, I think 22lb is a good start. But if you're weaker than most intermediate girls, you may consider starting at 18-19lb.

Remember that people on this forum can only give you references... we don't know you, your style, your strengths, your techniques, or anything. We take what information you give us and provide you with a best "GUESS"!
    It's even possible the advice I'm giving you is completely wrong. There are always exceptions... for example, one of my friends has a HUGE powerful smash but strings using BG65 @ 21lb. Common sense would show that he would get even more powerful at higher tension, but he doesn't. Go figure.

20. carpediem

carpediem Regular Member

finance
    yy bg66 @22-24 will be good for you.