When do the price drop?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by aznb3n, Oct 18, 2011.

1. aznb3n

aznb3n Regular Member

None
    The title kind of says it all

But, beside that, when do the new rackets come out,usually? is there a specific time or does it just come out anytime of the year.

Because when new products come out, ill assume that some older rackets will be discontinued and the discontinued product's price will drop.

And, yes i'm indeed trying to save myself a few bucks.. xD
    Yep, im that cheap.

Thanks for the information~ and for the replies in advance.

2. zatliteblogspot

zatliteblogspot Regular Member

Unless it's a shitty racket, I don't think the prices ever drop. Discontinued rackets go on to sell at even higher prices than when they were in production because they don't make them anymore. If you haven't noticed already, badminton's not a cheap sport.

3. Iori

Iori Regular Member

The only real way to save is to buy from Asia. I've been eyeing an Voltric 80 on www.sohubuy.com for $150 USD strung and gripped, but then you need to add shipping and paypal fees.

From what I noticed, there is no official price drop of Yonex rackets in Canada. Only when the retailer wants to clear the last couple of rackets in their inventory will they really slash prices. Even then it won't bethat much, maybe $30. By waiting for the rare sale occasions you missed out on a lot of badminton.

Also consider buying used.

4. winstonchan

winstonchan Regular Member

CBO (Chief Babysitting Officer)
    law of relativity

cheap thing no good.
    good thing no cheap.

If you want cheap & good then let's work hard & be smart. When you are RICH, everything is cheap. This does not apply to me yet so I'm still working hard.

#4 winstonchan, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    this is not electronics. as far as i can tell, price only goes up. unless if it is really old rackets that people don't want, then maybe price will go down.

aside from that, Yonex makes sure that new models comes up to replace old one, and then they sell the new ones at same or higher prices.

6. maxp74

maxp74 Regular Member

Architect
    There is no easy answer to that question. For a starter I only know about Yonex rackets and that is probably not the same for other brands. But as I see it the following happens around here.

When a mid to high end racket is introduced it often comes with a hefty price. Lets say $200. That’s the price you pay in a real store over the counter. Then on-line shops starts selling the same racket for 10-20 $ less. After a couple of months when the hype wears of the price on-line drops another 10-20 $. Some real stores follow that price, others don’t. After the first 6 months or so the market pretty much has decided what’s the proper price and it will level.

Sometimes certain models comes with an introduction discount. That is often just a hoax. Price never really go up. Or it does, but just for a short time.

After that the price more or less follows normal market movements and basic demand and supply. If it is a popular model there often seem to be an extra batch produced and price might drop again. If it is unpopular and sell less good price might drop just to get rid of it.

So in short the price drops slightly during the first years after introduction.

When a model is discontinued one of two things seems to happen. Either the model is sold out at a lower price or the price rises because it has been a popular model.

Some examples:

Arc 7 had a high price when introduced and still sells at a high price only slightly lower now. I guess demand has been constant. Maybe the old colour Arc 7 will drop slightly when the new one came. Demand and supply seems constant.

Arc Z-Slash had a high price when introduced but sells at a much lower price today. Demand was enormous and my guess is that Yonex produced many extra batches. Supply is therefore high.

AT700 first edition. High price at introduction. Was cheaper for a while but turned into gold when discontinued. Demand got higher when the word spread that the second edition wasn’t as good. Since it is unlikely that Yonex will go back and produce the first edition again price will keep rise.

Ti-10 first edition pretty much the same as AT700. A used first ed Ti-10 are now worth more than any top end new racket.

Arc 5 only existed for a few months when it was replaced with Arc 5 dx. The original was never very popular and prices dropped like a stone when the new model arrived.

My conclusion is that if a model is replaced with something that the market see as not as good, the price will rise. If the replacement model is better, price will drop.

So my prediction is that if the coming Nanoray 900 (yes there will be one for sure) is not better than Nanospeed 9900 price will rise because it will probably be discontinued soon. If NR900 is better you might get a bargain on the NS9900.

7. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    My response will depend on what you think is cheap...
    But I think £55-£75 for a racquet is a good price, and above that they are overpriced. The racquets are set at too high a price and aren't much better. This has been discussed before anyway.

As for discount, many racquets don't come down in price unless the colour of the racquet changes and a new version is released to replace it. If Nanoray replaces Nanospeed then until all the nanospeed stock is sold it'll stay at the same price, the new range won't affect the old range prices.

8. aznb3n

aznb3n Regular Member

None
    intriguing indeed. Thanks for all the responses. Well, ive learned a thing or two today :p
    @Iori; Used rackets.would be nice. if you can actually Find the racket you want.

9. photossed

photossed Regular Member

If ur skill isn't good enough, there's no reason for u to get a high-end racket...
    And, for players with better skills, they are willing to invest more money into equipment.

10. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

IMHO

I don't think there is certain definite period of price reduction that can be used as the estimation by costumers who intend to purchase a racquet in cheaper price.

Btw, 1 of my japanese colleague just recently informed me that actually there are lots of japanese online retailers who sell YY racquet at discounted price (up to 30%-40%).

Unfortunately, they do not provide services to foreign / international costumers. :(