Doubles smash from baseline - aim at or away from the nearest opponent?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by vinod81, Oct 19, 2011.

1. vinod81

vinod81 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I am an intermediate club player. My smashes from are not great in terms of speed, steepness and angle. I am in mid 40s and 5'7".

If I smash from the baseline, the popular idea of "smash on the nearest opponents racket side hip" is not working for me. I almost always miss the target by a few inches and the opponent executes a cross-court drive. This drive goes past the front player and I end-up running and making a week lift.

Is it a good strategy to aim the smashes from baseline between the opponents or sidelines? Basically reserve the "aim at the body" for the mid-court smashes.

2. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

which part of baseline are you smashing from? the centre court or one of the corners? smashing down the middle is also a good choice because it causes confusing for your opponents and gives a greater chance for your partner to intercept at front. if you're pinned at a back corner, try smashing down the line or at the body, but rarely crosscourt smash. your partner should not be very close to the net but take a step back (maybe behind service line) to cover you in case the return of smash comes his way.

also try to mix up drops with smashes. if the clear is very good and deep at the baseline most likely you can't kill it with a single smash. so you must coordinate with your partner and your shot selection to force a weaker shorter lift or a slower flat return that your partner can intercept.

3. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Ideally smashes should not be at the baseline as you are vulnerable to a drive/block to the other corners. It also loses much pace and steepness.

Probably aiming at the center or between the players is a better option. Aiming at the center also cuts away the angle of the potential crosscourt drive of your opponent.

(legend: 1/4 of court = net area and 4/4 = baseline)

Ideally smashes should be in (1/2 of court or half-court) or 3/4 of court.

(although it refers to the jumpsmash but the theory is similar)
    Ref: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyadwjS9HdI
    0.22 to 0.34

That's my take.

#3 Badmintan, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  4. Koyori

Koyori Regular Member

mid court smash aim for the opponent that is least ready to deflect. If there is space at the sideline and no one is standing near there, aim for the sideline corner. If both double opponent evenly spread out on left and right side, aim for their center 3/4 court or maybe their legs.

5. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    If you decide to hit at your opponent, aim at the INSIDE of the straight defender opponent, closest to the centreline but still at him. If you consider this, it will be very difficult for him to hit a cross court shot. However, aim at the other side of him (the outside, closest to the tramline) and his natural swing towards the shuttle is cross court. If you aim at the wrong side, you make it easier for your opponent to hit cross court. I hope that made sense.

6. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    I found a very advance player i played with always smashed into my forehand area. I found these difficult to get back as most do because of the backhand defense. Also smashing down the middle is great as its confusing.

As said above, drop every so often and if the shuttle keeps coming back, do a attacking clear. The pair can keep moving forwards and forwards if they keep getting the smashes back so an attacking clear can really catch them out!!

7. vinod81

vinod81 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Thanks Capnx for the tips.
    >which part of baseline are you smashing from?
    I generally try to smash straight. Straight smashes from the center-baseline and rear-corners are effective. However if the shuttle is at the baseline between the corner and the center, I smash straight aiming at a defender. These smashes are not effective as the opponent often replies with a cross court drive.

8. vinod81

vinod81 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Thanks MSeeley for the advice. I will try this.