American Tournament - Is this a known format ?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Monster, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Monster

Monster Regular Member

I was in a badminton club and saw on their notice board the upcoming tournaments they are planning to organize for 2012.

One particular tournament caught my eyes. It reads American Tournament. I went to ask one of the committee members of the club to explain the format and this is how it goes:

You and the other players names will be drawn and will be paired together to play against other pairs. After a win or a loss, you and your partner each collect the pts (not sure how they are calculated though). Then you will partner with another stranger and play against another stranger pair. This goes on and on after you've completed the cycle. The individual who collects the most points will emerge as the winner. Hence, it is really an individual game in a doubles setting.

I think that with this format, you may partner with a weak player who will also be the partner of another player later. So everyone gets the chance to partner with the weakest and the best players. It becomes a competition of your own skills and how well you partner with others.

Sounds like a round robin format.

#1 Monster, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  2. zatliteblogspot

zatliteblogspot Regular Member

Potential pitfalls - People can throw matches to cause someone they despise to lose or at least not win the tournament.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i have never heard of this format but it is interesting one.

but i wonder how it would work. it is not completely round robin as you only play against one different pair with each of your partner. whom you play against will make a lot of difference.

and nothing American about it as we have never heard of it over here. ;)

4. awekuda

awekuda Regular Member

Pemukul Bulu
    What's is the tournament status? Open or closed? Maybe the stranger here means for person within the closed group which already familiar with each other. This format intended to be fair for everyone in the group. I’ve encounter this style of tournament but it’s just for fun amongst club member. But to reselect partners for each round sound not right. Unless the organizer really don’t have the budget to come out with winning prize for two , that why they went to that extent troubling themselves with the multiple selection and individual point system. :D

5. Monster

Monster Regular Member

It's within the club. So yes, it's closed.

It sounds interesting to me too. Apparently, it's not the first time they have organized American Tournaments.

6. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

A tournament exactly like this was held here last year.
    It was an effort to get our moribund recreational organization going. They wanted ordinary rec players involved in local badminton outside their own clubs. A small, friendly, short tournament where you needn't worry about: having a partner; having to sit for hours between games; showing up just to be cannon feed for the "sharks".

For these purposes, I think such a tournament is great. But it isn't going to work with a large number of people. Nor are the over-eager competitor types likely to enjoy this format.

7. schnuck

schnuck New Member

retired
    Really interested and we have tried this with our social group playing tennis. Do you have a template and/or other ways and means of achieving the schedule.. Many thanks

8. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

funny format, but more of a lottery than acustomed for serious play!
    but well suited for a beer-and-fun-club-tournament!!

9. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

interesting format

is there one which i can only partner with the prettiest player around?

i dun mind play longer n lose the game..

lolz