Obstruction of view

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by JukUx, Oct 19, 2011.

1. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

Hello! me again! :p

I played against a few guys and one of them has the most unorthodox defense ever. He doesn't have a defense stance and a lot of times he somehow manages to return the tightest defensive shots ever. He returns the bird behind him a lot. After playing down a beautiful down the line smash he returns it in that fashion and after the game my partner told me its illegal because when he returns those smashes, his body is obstructing the bird and we cannot see it

Is that true?

Thanks in advance!

2. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Behind him as in behind his back or what? Anyways, that is not illegal. The only time obstructing view is illegal is when your opponent is serving but the partner in the front (usually in mixed where a girl is in the front) is blocking the receiver from seeing the shuttle.

Sometimes in a game, the front person may swing a miss and then obstruct your view of the shuttle (as it's traveling behind them), but if their partner hits it back over the net, that's still a point.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    where do people come up with all these kinds of rules?

4. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

:eek: kk thank you both!

Idk Kwun!~ lol, but thanks for clarifying :)

5. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    I have to admit I had a good laugh when I read the rule that your partner made up. That is one of the most absurd rules I think I had ever heard made up. Maybe he's confusing it with table tennis? I know that when you serve in table tennis people used to be able to hide the ball from vision until they actually made the serve, though that is considered illegal now.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol, pretty soon his friend is going to make a new rule: it is illegal to hit the bird beyond the reach of his racket. :p

7. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    I already play that rule Visor =D

How does this guy return it from behind his back? it sounds weird especially if you can't see the shuttle.