Test - Post your playing style and your horoscope

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mikael, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Hi

I would like to do a little test in here about personallity and playing style, is there a fit? Recruiment people have a lot of concepts trying to reveal people, at different levels from simple models like 'the whole brain theory' or the Enneagram to more advanced stuff.

On the other hand, where I live the concept of the horoscope is considered, not serious and not scientific, so it does not have the same status. In my point of I view in dont find much difference between the business models and the horoscope.

Whehter you beleive it or not, please be a part of this test, as I want to see whether there is pattern.

What I want you to do is to state:

Level:
    Playing style: (more than a single word but max a few lines please).
    Horoscope:

Please do it in that order. I dont want you to start with your horoscope, trying to figure out whether there is a fit or not. I dont want any evalution on that (at least not at first). So just describe your playing style and then state your the horoscope.

Thx

#1 Mikael, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  2. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Level: (Low?) Intermediate
    Playing Style: Aggressive rear-court player; Decent athleticism & anticipation, but zero finesse.
    Star Sign: Cancer

I sort of believe there may be some truth in star signs being predictors of personality - not because of the alignment of planets or anything like that though.
    I just think that if you were born in September, then you would always have been the oldest in your school year (in the UK at least) - and you might be bigger than the other kids (allowing you to excel in team sports; making it less likely you were bullied, etc) and perhaps more mature/confident, etc - and your experiences as a child would have a significant bearing on how you turned out as an adult.
    Obviously there are other, more important factors, but if you had a large enough sample size, you might start to see a vague pattern.

3. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Thx, hope there will be more. 'Finesse' - what is that in relation to badminton? You did not mean fitness right, but more something like being sloppy with details?

4. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    "Finesse" players are very skillful, using precise shot placement and execution. They have a very delicate touch at the net, play tight and accurate drop shots, and often use a lot of deception.
    They don't just smack everything as hard as they can...

5. Cloud7z

Cloud7z Regular Member

Level:Intermediate/Advanced
    Playing style: Aggressive but can be accurate and precise when I need to.
    Horoscope: Virgo

6. neogenesus

neogenesus Regular Member

student
    Level: Intermediate
    Playing style: Aggressive smasher at the rear court most of the time, but when in front, I am not too aggressive for some unknown reasons.
    Horoscope: Taurus

7. TNBRE

TNBRE Regular Member

Student
    Playing: Aggressive power smasher, fast and aggressive drops at the net
    Horoscope: Cancer

8. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Level: Low/intermediate
    Playing style: Playing with patience, but also all too reactive - 'Keep the shuttle going approach'. Sometimes get stubborn and win. Tried to decide who will win with in the first few points. Too serious, which destroyed my creative/playing skills.
    Horoscope: Capricorn

(Lol, I am 32 today, but not playing, and there is a huge gap between my theoretical badminton knowledge and practical playing skills. So I cheated a bit and choose an age where I was stuck not developing).

BTW: Sketchy thx for the explanation.

And thx to all of you for posting, that is the form I like :)

9. Harsh.boy365

Harsh.boy365 Regular Member

Playing Style: Love to smash but wait for right opportunity when i get a week return. Otherwise push to backhand. Also LOVE net shots, especially crosscourt nets. =D
    Horoscope: Gemini

10. JoshuaCYS

JoshuaCYS Regular Member

Level: Higher intermediate
    Playing style: All-around the court with some tricky shots. However, I'm more comfortable in front of the court with some tricky net plays.
    Horoscope: Sagittarius

11. AirStyles

AirStyles Regular Member

Student
    I got a stronger style, but dislike it...

Playing style: Rally 4 corners till they drop dead on the court. Prefer to aim at the line and tap it down accurately.

Reaction = very slow, usually can't read slice drop properly and barely reach it when it's 3 inches off the front court, thankfully I can control it well enough to let it barely go over the net, so my opponent don't really gain anything from my slow reaction.

Smash power = Ahahaha, what smash power? T_T Still trying very hard to learn how to smash properly... Trying very hard.

weakness = slow to turn forehand to backhand when driving the shuttle. often have to hit backhand with forehand grip and couldn't hit powerfully enough.

Horoscope: Gemini

Gain a lot of confident if opponent keep making mistakes. Don't have much stamina, but my playstyle trick everyone into thinking I'm fit... So they rush to finish me off. Which I feed off their mistakes and reckless attacking shots.

but really, I hate the way I play, I want to be a much more aggressive player. But sometimes, that's the only way I can win.

e.g. Aggressive = 19-21 lost first set, then start defending play... 21-7, 21-12 win.

still... Really dislike the way I play...

12. OHMAHGAWDZ

OHMAHGAWDZ Regular Member

level: university varsity team in canada. probably average compared to other canada varsity players.
    style: all about speed. my reflexes and leg strength are my biggest assets, so i do a lot of offensive play (not necessarily full smashing every time, but fairly high paced) and counter-attacking on defense. This means that i pull off some amazing shots and pick-ups, but i have a hard time slowing the pace down, and my endurance can't keep up with my fast, sometimes inefficient footwork. Maybe I need to change my mentality to slow myself down sometimes.
    horoscope: taurus

13. 57.Christ

57.Christ Regular Member

Student
    Style: overall my style is an aggresive one, i didn't like rally-ing too much bcoz i have a limited stamina
    Single: more into a control player but still use power alot
    Double: use power alot and rarely do any placing
    Horoscope: Capricorn

14. WhiteFeathers

WhiteFeathers Regular Member

Part time coach
    Style: Careless, rash but considerably fast compared to people around my standard and love rallying. Mostly play singles because i feel insecure in doubles and tend to be pressured by my partner
    horoscope: Capricorn

15. neltherion

neltherion Regular Member

Level: i would say intermediate :p
    Style:
    Non-game (rally) : Play more passively, hitting it to a reachable area around the opponent ( depending on their skill level), no slice and unpredictable shots. Basically keep the rally going. ( this helps me train stamina and helps me teach myself to hit more effectively)
    Game : Play more aggressively, smashing at the back when the chance comes, cross court drops, , "hard " drives when i am at the rear ( sounds like a smash) , "point" smash ( or whatever you call it) for angle, drops that tumble and fakes. :p ( while all this, learning to move faster, react faster and fix my hits ( fix things like sometimes accidentally slicing the shot even though i want a crisp hit)
    Horoscope : pisces

16. Timz :]

Timz :] Regular Member

Interesting topic here. (Old thread sorreh)

Where are all my pisces at?

Level:
    Style: Passive play, I don't really use aggression to force the downward shots to prevent errors. I usually try to react instead of anticipate which makes me a little slow but not easily deceived by deceptive shots. I stand-smash really hard but prefer to do slice drops from the rearcourt. I don't really like doing tricks on court and just keep it simple to prevent errors. I like to lift and clear even in high level of doubles(not cool) maybe because i despise flat shots. :)))

17. dingolphie

dingolphie Regular Member

IT Manager
    Age 34
    Level : Intermediate
    Style : Attacking conservatively through placement and deception. Decent smash with range of strokes (relative to people in my standard). Slow round court (heavy :)), but decent anticipation.
    Star sign: Sagittarius

18. phili

phili Regular Member

Level: Advanced
    Style: I'm kind of an allround player with a lot fighting spirit and a huge love for netplay :D

19. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional

Level: upper intermediate

Playing style: fast doubles, rather play in a faster pace than slower since i lack patience, which is also my weakness, when my opponent takes it slow, i lack concentration and unforced errors goes up :(

Horoscope: Aquarius (2/14)

this is a different poll and a very interesting poll as well. looking forward to your findings!!!

20. PeterG101

PeterG101 New Member

Student

Level: Intermediate.

Playing style: Fast pace doubles I suppose and due to my current situation I rarely play singles. More of a finesse player than power one even though I love to smash.