Quick Question: how to hold the shuttle when serviing

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Capnx, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

One of our club players raised this issue on how I hold the shuttle when serving backhand serves in doubles. I don't hold the feather part, but instead I hold the cork, but I hold it in such a way that I would still make contact with the cork first when serving. Is this legal?

I know you must make contact with the cork and not the feathers first when serving. no where did I ever read you can't hold the cork. The reason I do it this way is because I find it to be a more consistent flight. I've tried holding the feathers but while it did tumble more it was harder and inconsistent for me to hit the places I want to serve.

Thanks

2. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    I'm actually guilty of the same thing. Technically the "right" way is to hold the feathers with your forefinger and middle finger and your thumb, but if you can do it while holding the cork that's ok too. When you say he "raised an issue" was he just trying to correct you? Or was he saying it was against the rules? There's no rule against holding the cork, you just have to strike the cork. In fact, when you use a forehand serve, you pretty much have to hold the cork anyway while holding the whole shuttle.

#2 Tactim, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  3. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I hold the feather with the cork facing me

4. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

There is no rule against that, as long as you still hit the cork 1st, it is a legal serve.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Tactim, you're not "guilty" if it's legal, and yes it's legal and allowed to hold it any which way is comfortable and consistent for you as long as the cork is struck first before the skirt. I serve exactly the same way too. :)

6. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

in terms of flexibility, variety, and consistency which way is better? Holding feathers or holding cork? or as long as you practice enough and is comfortable with the serve it's a job well-done?

7. S.fusion

S.fusion Regular Member

If u r serving well, it doesn't matter.Yes, there is theoretical reason for holding the feather first with the cork pointing directing at the floor. Do this experiment, hold the feather as in serving then release the shuttlecock, u will find that the cock will consistently immediately drop straight towards the floor. If u hold the cock first or any other part that may prone to make the shuttle tilt at an angle, release the shuttle and u will see that in the first few cm, the shuttle will wobble then recover before the cock points towards the floor. I guess this is the theory behind it. The question is then does it matter? U need to find out yrself.

#7 S.fusion, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  8. visor

visor Regular Member

The idea is that by holding the feather tip, you're more able to push the short serve over more accurately and consistently. And the short backhand serve is more of a push shot rather than a hit shot. Ultimately you do want to hit the skirt too in a push shot for more control; it's just that in a serve you have to definitely contact the skirt first.

#8 visor, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  9. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    I hold the feathers and point the cork directly at the strings. If you point the cork towards the floor there is a greater chance you will connect with the feathers and your serve will be inconsistent.

10. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    *But, you are allowed to hold the shuttle by the cork or feathers and point it anyway you like as long as you don't hide the shuttle from the opponents view.