Bad badminton stringer?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Footwork_816, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Footwork_816

Footwork_816 Regular Member

Ok so I use BG-65 strings on my Wilson Recon and for some reason they always break within 3 weeks. They are strung to 22/24 lbs and i play for about 8 hours a week, so thats like 24 hours of play with the strings before they break. I'm thinking this is way too fast and the cause is that my stringer is really bad. any thoughts?

2. zatliteblogspot

zatliteblogspot Regular Member

Post pictures and there are people in this forum who can probably tell if it's stringer or if it's you hitting it wrong. If I had to guess, I am going to say it's likely you or the conditions you keep your rackets in.

3. Footwork_816

? 1.) I'm like 99% sure that my technique for hitting the bird is correct 2.) how would me hitting the bird wrong cause the strings to break faster? Plus, I feel like even if I or someone hit the bird wrong there is no reason for BG-65 at 22/24 lbs of tension to last 3 weeks.

btw I keep my rackets in a bag: WIlson Pro Staff 6. So I am taking care of my racket (only have one)

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    just giving the time isn't sufficient information. you need to tell us about under what circumstance it broke, how it broke, where it broke, photos of the breakage and location will be very helpful.

also mentioning what your level of play and how hard you hit is also essential.

5. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    1. while you are sure your technique is correct, you might not even notice you used a lot of sliced shot
    this will make the feather contact with the string and the feather (wood part or nylon part if you use nylon) will cut the string
    little by little and it would break

2. bad technique, for example you hit upper part of the head, this means the shuttle will contact with upper string part which is an area that very prone to break

at any tension and at any time the string could break even at 22/24

did you cut the string?
    if the string snap, cut it straight away or it will makes your racket warped

6. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

breaking string is always frustrating, especially if you don't know why. please be more specific about the location of the breakage, and the condition of the racket, the condition of grommets, etc.

as the above post, picture with broken string will be the best for anyone to help.

7. Footwork_816

Well slicing is not hitting it wrong or wrong technique. It is an actual shot that players use. However that is not the cause of breakage because although I do slice it is not frequent at all, and yes I do cut the string when it snaps.

ehh I can't really show pictures yet because my current strings haven't broken yet but they look like they will like next time i play because (i guess i would say they look like) threads are popping out of the string. I can say that usually those spots with threads poking out are usually around the sweetspot. Sometimes they are below the sweetspot and currently the biggest spot where threads are popping out is under the sweetspot...must've had a really bad mishit there...Usually though I would say the sweetspot or around there

How do you classify how hard someone can hit a bird? i would say i hit it pretty hard...well thats what my stringer keeps saying every time i ask him for a restring

8. alanwong76

alanwong76 Regular Member

Interior Deco
    did you check your racket's grommet still can be use ? if grommet broken can cause the string break easily.

9. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    good thing about BG65 is it frays before breaking, giving you very good indication of whether you're hitting correctly.
    fraying should ONLY occur on the sweet spot, if it's happening anywhere else, it means your shots are incredibly inconsistent, or you're very consistently hitting from the wrong part of your racket (either case usually results in premature string breakage).
    As for slices, if your horizontal strings fray/snap before your main lines, then you're slicing too much /or/ you're not hitting the bird flat with the racket face.

and most obviously, if your string is snapping right at the sweet spot, then consider yourself a pretty hard hitting player. anywhere else means you're mishitting a lot because it takes a LOT of mishits to snap BG65 at 22/24lb.

10. Footwork_816

Well it always does snap at the sweet spot but there are frays below it.

Yea thx for the information about grommets. None of them are broken but I never knew that so I'll look out for it.

I'll just send a pic maybe sometime this weekend or before. Whenever it breaks

11. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

ur stringer cut ur string 25% and trick u so u come back to string more time so he can get some money.

12. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Wow bg 65 in 3 weeks

13. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

65 last me 2 years lol I play almost everyday. advanced level I smash a lot too.

14. quagmire

quagmire Regular Member

graphic designer
    based on your description of the fraying and where it breaks, it seems normal but 3 weeks is way too quick for bg 65. i average 6-8 weeks on a thinner string at 26 lbs playing around 12 hrs/week. are you sure its bg65 hes using? can you read bg65 on the string?

15. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    It does sound quite quick for bg65, are you sure there's nothing in your technique that would be doing this? Sometimes parts of the glued string on a shuttle can be quite sharp, and that would damage the string.

I play on .65mm strings and haven't broken any that quickly.

I wouldn't be too quick to blame the stringer, but what's their stock like? Is the string coming off of an old reel?

16. quagmire

quagmire Regular Member

graphic designer
    good point, they could be using an old stock.

i just realised this thread was from 2011 :eek:

17. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Pretty sure it's from an old reel... because this thread is at least 4 yrs old... ;)

18. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    ****s sake John why did you necro an old thread? :confused:

19. mikomi

mikomi Regular Member

Foreman, Slacker
    Just in time for Halloween?

20. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

haha sorry was reading the thread but did not see it was 4 years ago haha.