Racket for Medium+ player (NS500)?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by CSPython, Oct 23, 2011.

1. CSPython

CSPython New Member

Student
    Hey guys, I just bought a NS 500, Nanogy 95 strings @24lbs, with AC420 grip. Waiting on the order to arrive ;). I've played badminton for 1 year now, male player. I've got a lot of power, and good clears/smashes. I'm currently using an Armotec 30, head heavy. This is good for my power, but I find it very difficult to play near the net with agility. I'm looking for a racket with more control hence why I've gone for the NS500, I know it will give me less power, but I have used other head light rackets before, and with a bit of effort, I can still achieve what I do with my Armotec 30. From what I've heard of the NS500, I think it's the right choice for me, with my budget of £50-65. Any thoughts?
    I realise it's a little late now, but it can do no harm, eh? :p

2. Weysquared

Weysquared Regular Member

Hello, I think that I am in the same boat, except that I don't have as much power. I am used to defensive clears, fast swing speed to clear the shuttlecock as to the opponent's end (if i can get it that far), and volleys in such a manner. Right now, I am stuck between the two rackets AS003 and NS500. Could somebody with experience with these two rackets share advantages/disadvantages? Thanks.

3. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) Welcome to BCBF.
    2) I will suggest you to go to the new member thread and introduce yourself.
    3) May I ask where are you located in US?
    4) If it is up to me, I will take NS500 because in US, NS 500 come unstrung and you can ask for 23 lb tension and the dealer (hopefully) will give you a newly strung racquet. ARC003 comes in pre strung. The string is OK. But nothing beats a new string job.

4. CSPython

CSPython New Member

Student
    Well it's actually very good for me. The NS500 isn't overly head light, feels mid balance to me, even a little head heavy. But I think that's just my feel of it.
    Nanogy 95 @ 24lbs still packs a good punch, clears/smashes are fine :).

5. Weysquared

Thanks. I will check out the member thread.
    At badmintonavenue.com i believe there is the pull-down option to change the badminton strings, am I correct? That is the website i was looking at. According to that website, i think both can be restrung. Or does it just ship with the string, and not restring it for you?
    Would 23 or 22lbs be a better string tension for clears?

So NS500 is definitely a good choice you think? No problems with power?

6. CSPython

CSPython New Member

Student
    The max tension covered by warranty is 24 lbs, so that's what I went for. It does mean that I can hit harder.

Power is no problem for ME, but that's becuase I'm natrually a power hitter. I've no idea what it would be like for someone else with less power. Sorry :(

7. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

NS500, is pretty good. its head light with sacrifincing power, so it feels like you're playing a balanced racket. since he's a power hitter it'll be a good racket.

for mid range, i would have recommended to checked out VT5 or VT7 though. it think those are awesome rackets for its price range, awesome control. its slightly heavy head but you wouldnt notice it

8. Weysquared

Wait with sacrificing power or without?

9. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

oops, without sacrificing power so it feel like a balanced racket :D

however, VT5 or 7 are more powerful still without sacrificing control (slightly slower).

10. Weysquared

Ah OK. So NS500 is powerful, and quick for defensive maneuvers? that makes it better than AS003 right?

I would take a look at VT5, but im not sure if i could cope with the head-heaviness, and its more expensive too