User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
    Haa. Ha.. I understand your feelings. Even i have asked a query regarding the wrong judgement of line judges and bringing about video referal to the game to one of the commentator during Denmark super series. He said that it would not be possible for badminton as it would be costly considering the money allocated for the sport.

But after hearing the hawk eye camera which is going to be introduced on 2014, i was happy as it gave me some relief. Better wait than never. Nowadays, badminton has been improving in many ways. If this hawk eye camera comes, there would not be any problem regarding horrible line calls .. Definitely a good news. Cheer up man
    You were at Denmark? And talked to commentator?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More slo-mo actions replays and a Hawk Eye type of analysis like they have for Tennis not for the ruling but for the fans.

I think they should extend games to best of 5 for mens and doubles events, 2 games is too short to be a decider in the mordern sport and tv audience, it plays out sooo fast.

As mentioned above, more stats, like Tennis.

Its unbelievable BWF just doesn't have the foresight to copy the immensly better presentation skills of the most successful racket sport on TV.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pakito View Post
    Main problem with hawkeye is that it can't distinguished between the contact on the line made by the ball of the shuttle and it's feathers. So imagine the smashes fired with the ball touching outside the lines but it's feathers gliding over the line. That would cause even more delirious 'hoo-hahs' than before.
    Oh my goodness !!! How come you are thinking such a kind of wonderful queries... Great.. Mr.Imagination award should be given to you....:-)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You were at Denmark? And talked to commentator?
    Hee.Hee. I think you have missed the live streaming of the matches. Denmark has done a wonderful job by welcoming queries from the fans all over the world each and every day through mail. In the due course of the match, the commentator will answer the queries asked to them. In that way, my query was answered immediately .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
    Hee.Hee. I think you have missed the live streaming of the matches. Denmark has done a wonderful job by welcoming queries from the fans all over the world each and every day through mail. In the due course of the match, the commentator will answer the queries asked to them. In that way, my query was answered immediately .
    Ya I understand your situation. I wanted to attend the recent Olympics but my strippoker club forbade me to go and wouldn't hear of it. The women were short of men. Oops sorry, out of topic.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya I understand your situation. I wanted to attend the recent Olympics but my strippoker club forbade me to go and wouldn't hear of it. The women were short of men. Oops sorry, out of topic.
    Lol !!! You are in full FORM (Understood what i meant ????) First come out of your StripPoker club. Atleast you can save some queries from being stripped off..!!!! Dont go beyond imagination. Just kidding.

Now, lets not go out of topic.. If it was the case that Hawk eye camera would not be brought into the game, then it is definitely, not good for the badminton. Oops !!!!

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

scorpion1, Hawkeye as it is right now, cannot be really used in badminton. It has many technical issues. As a matter of fact, Hawkeye is not used in isolation even in cricket, where it is recomended to be used in conjunction with Hotspot, which is a thermal imaging solution, the same type used by special Sony cameras for night-vision wildlife photography etc.

For Hawkeye to be able to make the correct projections, it will require extensive reprogramming of their system. And given the variables that are faced in pro badminton, it will still not be accurate enough. To implement Hawkeye in this sport would be a big mistake.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a report regarding Hawk eye camera in connection with badminton.

"http://www.birdievents.com/feature-s...badminton.html"

Excerpts:

"During ITF testing in 2006 Hawk-Eye made the correct call in 100% of all tests, showing an average error of only 3.6mm. The system recorded 100% of all rallies. "

Lets hope a good solution will be obtained for the ongoing minor drawback to badminton regarding wrong judgement and be available for use as soon as possible.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ITF is a Tennis federation, it has nothing to do with badminton; you are confusing issues! The predictive requirements for tennis are much more simple than badminton. Hawkeye is not yet evolved for deployment in badminton.

Moreover, I believe the spatial tracking techniques required for Hawkeye to be deployed successfully cannot function within a closed and crowded environment like an indoor arena where anywhere from 2 to 5 courts are seeing action simultaneously. The probability of error and it's margin could be unacceptably high even if a forced deployment was made.

And madbad is right: the cost would wipe the smiles off the organisers' faces...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting subject, would love to know what the technical difficulties are with regard to badminton, presumably its connected to the flightpath of the shuttle not being similar to that of a ball. Has anybody done a cost anaylis of this, what would it cost to implement it for something like a superseries event. just to throw a curveball into the argument is badline calling a serious problem at ALL superseries or grandprix events or just at a select few, if its the later, why not consider going down the line of having a team of paid linemen/women similar to that of umpires and referees, perhaps made up of retired refs and umpires.

Has anybody done a study of line calling, checking calls with TV shots to see what the call accuracy is

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is an interesting article in one of the indian newspapers.

Here is the post:

" http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...rror-uday-sane "

Excerpts:

" No matter how big or small the nature of the match, there is always a complaint about line calls in badminton. A bad line call can not only potentially turn the tide of a match, it is even known to have disrupted careers.

However, this could all change soon as Badminton World Federation (BWF) is seriously thinking about using technology to make the game a fair contest. "

I think am not here to confuse anybody.

Soon, we can see our FAVOURITE badminton game without any controversies soon. This is not far away. So, be happy guys.!!!

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That technology is still under development I believe. Done by one US university and another party. BWF perhaps thinking to be the guinea pig to get it for cheap sounds more like it ...

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Hawk-Eye for detail: how accurate is electronic judging in sport?

http://theconversation.edu.au/a-hawk...-in-sport-8136

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

BWF has a great example available to them, if they want to learn how to popularise the sport and not break the bank.

While they're at it, they should also give public thanks to our own twobeer.

He has brought live streaming to the world from the Swedish International, on a shoestring budget, and it's getting better every day!

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...olm-Torunament

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Is this what many of us have been waiting for?

Poul-Erik Hoyer gets overwhelming support for BWF Presidency

2/27/2013

http://www.aroundtherings.com/articl....aspx?id=42452

Worth a read, to know what Poul-Erik H°yer Larsen says.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to update, just finished watching the AE (sky uk broadcast) and they have made many improvements that have been discussed within these forums. There was a Smash speed leaderboard for tournament, some pretty impressive camera angles(particularly the side on views in the LCW match) and some great player backstory/build up info(particularly the small speil on Intanon Ratchanok). Good steps in the right direction just not big or slick enough yet but still impressive forward movement.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Tan, Polii and Vittinghus Elected by Peers
    Sunday, March 10, 2013 - Text by Gayle Alleyne

http://www.bwfbadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=71526

Excerpt:

The three were elected to serve four-year terms following four days of voting by their fellow players; two at the Yonex German Open and two at the Yonex All England Open Badminton Championships.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast