User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 18 to 34 of 92
  1. #18
    Regular Member craigandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,791
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    Prolly "insufficient" coordination and defining of info priorites between BWF and the official broadcasters?
    It appears to me that BWF suggestions and specs (I'm assuming this actually happened, of course - for all I know, BWF didn't do any) were completely brushed aside by the official broadcasters, who possibly wanted to pump more finances into more revenue-generating streams.

    Interestingly enough, TS (a tried, tested and trusted system and resource) was not used. Hmmmm....
    Think you are right. If BWF was my business I would have been super pro active in what was broadcasted and even covered any additional costs, it would be worth it.

  2. #19
    Moderator cobalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    8,732
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Beaten Baun set to get her wish

    Saturday August 4, 2012
    http://thestar.com.my/sports/olympic...6&sec=Olympics

    Excerpts:

    ..The former world No. 1 from Denmark was bitterly disappointed with one crucial line decision during her 21-15, 22-20 loss to Saina Nehwal, the Commonwealth champion from India.

    ...There was also a close line decision incident involving Olympic champion Lin Dan at 12-5 in the final game of his men’s singles quarter-final with Japan’s Sho Sasaki.

    ...“Sometimes at critical moments it can make such a difference,” Baun said.

    “There are times when a match can go either way. I really still think that shuttle was out and that we should have gone to a third game.

    “So it would be really good to be able to be able to appeal to computer replays as they do in quite a few other sports.”

    This is what is likely to happen next year, according to Paisan Rangsikitpho, the vice-president of the Badminton World Federation (BWF), the sport’s international governing body.

    “We have done some research and I think it is likely we will use computer replays on an experimental basis in selected major events around the world in 2013, he said.

    “It won’t be HawkEye (a system used for ruling on line-calls in tennis and lbw decisions in cricket), which is not 100% accurate, but there is something else we have been looking at, and which we would like to try.

    “It’s time we had it, because we get some issues, and the crowds like it (replays). We need it.” — AFP

  3. #20
    Moderator cobalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    8,732
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Here is the latest episode from BWF, and it is one worth watching to the end...

    http://www.youtube.com/badmintonworldtv#p/u

  4. #21
    Moderator cobalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    8,732
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Proposal for badminton to have its own line technology

    Monday October 22, 2012
    http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.a...710&sec=sports

    Excerpts:

    ...And if the proposal to introduce the technology to minimise questionable line calls and other programmes get the thumbs-up from the Badminton World Federation (BWF) council next year, then 2014 will see badminton notching another milestone.

    Yesterday, the BWF’s deputy president Paisan Rangsikitpho, who is also the chairman of events committee, said they had come up with a few proposals after several meetings, including the introduction of instant replay technology.

    In the past, players had complained about many dubious calls by linesmen that had affected the quality and standard of the game and even led to arguments and tense situations.

    “We are finally making the proposal for the use of this technology. We are not adopting Hawk-eye but are looking into investing in similiar technology – a combination of human and new scientific methods by an American company.

    “It will involve huge costs but I believe it will be worth it. If the council approves, we will start by testing it in a few tournaments. We will start with one court and monitor it from then on.”

    ...Paisan said that next year’s Olympic Games format would see some changes.

    ...“We went through it thoroughly and decided that we are not scrapping the format completely but we will make some changes. We will stick with our group format as it was successful as we saw many quality matches,” he said.

    “However, we are proposing for a fresh draw to be conducted after the group matches, so that there will not be any more loopholes for players to manipulate.”

    Paisan, however, is more excited with the re-branding of their Grand Prix Gold. They are now looking at the GP Gold series, similiar to the Super Series. There will be 10-12 legs and the prize money will be increased.

    “The GP Gold event usually see the participation of second tier players but we want them to make good money too. We will increase the prize money. We have reaped great success with our Super Series and we hope to create the same excitement in our GP Gold events,” he added.

  5. #22
    Regular Member nokh88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    8,608
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I was directed to this thread and thought that it was started immediately by cobalt. Didn't notice the year was 2011 and not 2012. It's exactly 1 year since this thread was started. What a coincidence.

  6. #23
    Moderator cobalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    8,732
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    BWF Rallies Against Doping
    Friday, November 02, 2012 - Badminton World Federation

    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=67928

    Rally Against Doping is a new programme launched by the Badminton World Federation at the 2012 YONEX BWF World Junior Championships.

    The goal of the progarmme was to raise awareness of doping in sport and assist with the education of youth as well as the managers and coaches attending the Championships. The initiative in Chiba, Japan, was a collaboration between JADA (Japan Anti-doping Agency) and the BWF.

    “We were very happy to work with JADA on this initiative and to ensure that youth at these championships had the opportunity to access information on doping in sport,” said BWF Director of Operations, Stuart Borrie.

    “Every individual player, coach and manager has a role to play in the fight against doping. The online questionnaire we conducted in 14 different languages told us that there is a wide range of knowledge amongst the more than 300 players at the championships – so it was important that we had information available to those who wanted to get a better understanding of anti-doping in sport,” he added.

    The initiative included the following components:
    o A questionnaire for players, managers and coaches in 14 different languages
    o Outreach to team managers and coaches
    o Information available online and in hard copy (in various languages) for players
    o A self study area - Fair Play Station - with online activities to complete
    o Education officers from JADA working with volunteers and team managers to visit the.

    The programme will be evaluated in coming weeks and a follow-up strategy will be implemented with BWF Member Associations.

  7. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ipoh
    Posts
    1,163
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's high time to revive this thread again. Is BWF and Thomas Lauridsen doing enough to promote the sport where it matters?

    Regarding the aesthetic department of promoting the sport, I feel that not enough has been spent on what is happening inside the court rather than 'outside the court'. Speed of shuttle is definitely more important than number of shuttles used. Why the latter is included still baffles fans and people who haven't heard of the sport alike. Are they inculcating in athletes that in future, a prize is waiting for the athletes if they save up on shuttles used?

    Anyway, have any of you guys played Sony Playstation Street Fighter? Every time there is a knock out, a replay will be played out in slow motion, letting viewers savour the winning strategies in 360 degress view. I mean it's like the camera is orbiting above them while we watch. Can we borrow this technique from Steven Spielberg? Now imagine that on your TV screens - LD pulling a deftly tight net shot, LCW lifts it high to the back of his court, LD jumping in the air and contorting his faCE, his wrist and shoulder arching back to the full, and then see his force and power unleashed while LCW strives to see where the shuttle is going to land, all this in slow motion,...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kbZqgqmgbg

    And for heaven's sake, ban those blinking and moving advertisement on the cardboards just on the perimeters of the courts. Spectators want to watch the match without this nuisance. Stupid idea.

    And those line-calls equipments, how long are we suppose to wait? It's already 2013. Talk about sitting on your eggs.

  8. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,188
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pakito View Post
    It's high time to revive this thread again. Is BWF and Thomas Lauridsen doing enough to promote the sport where it matters?

    Regarding the aesthetic department of promoting the sport, I feel that not enough has been spent on what is happening inside the court rather than 'outside the court'. Speed of shuttle is definitely more important than number of shuttles used. Why the latter is included still baffles fans and people who haven't heard of the sport alike. Are they inculcating in athletes that in future, a prize is waiting for the athletes if they save up on shuttles used?

    Anyway, have any of you guys played Sony Playstation Street Fighter? Every time there is a knock out, a replay will be played out in slow motion, letting viewers savour the winning strategies in 360 degress view. I mean it's like the camera is orbiting above them while we watch. Can we borrow this technique from Steven Spielberg? Now imagine that on your TV screens - LD pulling a deftly tight net shot, LCW lifts it high to the back of his court, LD jumping in the air and contorting his faCE, his wrist and shoulder arching back to the full, and then see his force and power unleashed while LCW strives to see where the shuttle is going to land, all this in slow motion,...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kbZqgqmgbg

    And for heaven's sake, ban those blinking and moving advertisement on the cardboards just on the perimeters of the courts. Spectators want to watch the match without this nuisance. Stupid idea.

    And those line-calls equipments, how long are we suppose to wait? It's already 2013. Talk about sitting on your eggs.
    Wonderful . Every aspect of badminton where it is lagging or in a need for a transform are clearly shown and expressed in your statement. I am fully abide to you in this matter.

    You have mentioned about line call equipments , right. I have heard a good news from JustinL in another thread.
    "I've come across a number of posts about dubious linecall incidents in the DEN Open PSS. This is unexpected coming from Denmark, I don't know what to make of it.

    Anyway,I've read elsewhere that BWF is looking into introducing 'hawk-eye' camera sometime in 2014 and they are presently working with an American company to develop one that is suitable for badminton as the one currently in use in tennis does not meet their requirements. Rightly so, a tennis ball and a shuttlecock are indeed different ,technically speaking. "

    I think badminton will be more interesting in coming years.

  9. #26
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,989
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Here is my list of actions that BWF should take, if they want to make badminton grow beyond a backyard media event..

    * Separate out mens singles as a completely separate tournament event. We need focus on the main "product" to sell here!!! Trying to sell 5 different parallell events as once is bound to fail, and it will also reduce the winners price-money.

    * Maybe change the scoring format. Either back to scoring only while serving to 15, or alternatively go for 7 sets to 11 rally-scoring., which i think would be a good format, with natural ad and replay breaks.

    * Introduce hawk-eye type tech.

    * Better presentation with more shots at eye-level and from side-view on video, to better show the speed of the game!

    * In game statistics.. Lots of statistics.. Viewers love statistics like.. smash-speed, number of jumps, no of backhands, lifts, drops, flt-play, saves by throwing etc etc etc..

    * More smart PR events. exhibitions etc. Like the korean national teams wisitng kids shows and smashing trough wooden-boards, water melons etc. etc.. smart arketing of the sport.. Showcase badminton talent in terms of testcores for fitness, strength and agility to copare to other sports, to highlight the fact that top pros are extremely fit and strong etc..

    * Use the new media.. BWF youtube channel is a great start and platform.. A smarter way to make use of this for selling ads, and showing complete torunament, just not "court 1" action which again is loosing FOCUS!! would be key!! The key thing would be to allow people to follow thier favourite players trough all matches in an event.. not just random matches on one court! this format with just partially covered men-singles tournaments will just chase awya people who arent like us badminton nuts all-eaters and interested to see all we get!

  10. #27
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ipoh
    Posts
    1,163
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
    Wonderful . Every aspect of badminton where it is lagging or in a need for a transform are clearly shown and expressed in your statement. I am fully abide to you in this matter.

    You have mentioned about line call equipments , right. I have heard a good news from JustinL in another thread.
    "I've come across a number of posts about dubious linecall incidents in the DEN Open PSS. This is unexpected coming from Denmark, I don't know what to make of it.

    Anyway,I've read elsewhere that BWF is looking into introducing 'hawk-eye' camera sometime in 2014 and they are presently working with an American company to develop one that is suitable for badminton as the one currently in use in tennis does not meet their requirements. Rightly so, a tennis ball and a shuttlecock are indeed different ,technically speaking. "

    I think badminton will be more interesting in coming years.
    2014 huh? That's like asking fans to hold their breath for another year. They are really stretching the notion of 'good things come for those who wait' don't they? More like crushing the balls while waiting.

  11. #28
    Moderator cobalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    8,732
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Overall broadcasting and streaming services have improved in the past 2 years, but there are a hell of a lot of inconsistencies from tournament to tournament. The ground realities may have some part to play. Some countries have much better high-speed internet infrastructure than others, making it possible to offer multiple streams. Others struggle to offer even a single decent stream!

    Besides, I think BWF needs to focus on a set of guidelines for "minimum acceptable" equipment requirements for broadcast/streaming of various tourney levels (SSP/SS/GPG/GP etc.) A lot of internet-ready cameras with PTZ and other functions are now more accessible and must be considered as standard requirements for R32, R16 etc at all tournaments. The standards guide can be reviewed every 12 months to adjust for technology improvements along with related equipment.

    BWF needs to get creative in its attitude to national and pan-regional broadcasters. There is much opportunity to use IP simulcasting in many countries, and the bandwidth is laughably small for the broadcasting giants; even 4 streams of H.264 at 720p (even 480p is acceptable) won't make a dent. The revenue opportunities are equally good. And this can help with inexpensive real-time delivery of tournament content in many countries like Thailand, Taiwan, Korea, Singapore, Japan, Vietnam, Australia, India, Indonesia, China, Germany (already there! ) Denmark, England, France, Netherlands, USA, Canada...

  12. #29
    Regular Member nokh88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    8,608
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Great contributions. How I wish you guys are in BWF.

  13. #30
    Moderator cobalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    8,732
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's really time BWF not just "looked" beyond its default partner associations, but began actually forging and establishing a sporting presence in many other parts of the world. For example, the Middle East, and Dubai would be a great place to begin!

    They have the money, and the infrastructure. They have a great international audience, very educated and appreciative of any good performance.

    There is also a sizeable partion of youngsters who actually play badminton, in cities like Dubai. This is because they work in the Middle East, but originate from countries like India, Thailand, Philippines, etc. Some even play at state levels back in their country. A great captive audience.

    The ATP has successfully tapped into the market; so has golf, and other sports. Why can't BWF? Maybe a "Classic" or "Invitational" to start things off with....

  14. #31
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,188
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pakito View Post
    2014 huh? That's like asking fans to hold their breath for another year. They are really stretching the notion of 'good things come for those who wait' don't they? More like crushing the balls while waiting.
    Haa. Ha.. I understand your feelings. Even i have asked a query regarding the wrong judgement of line judges and bringing about video referal to the game to one of the commentator during Denmark super series. He said that it would not be possible for badminton as it would be costly considering the money allocated for the sport.

    But after hearing the hawk eye camera which is going to be introduced on 2014, i was happy as it gave me some relief. Better wait than never. Nowadays, badminton has been improving in many ways. If this hawk eye camera comes, there would not be any problem regarding horrible line calls .. Definitely a good news. Cheer up man

  15. #32
    Moderator cobalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    8,732
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
    ---snip----
    But after hearing the hawk eye camera which is going to be introduced on 2014, i was happy as it gave me some relief. Better wait than never. Nowadays, badminton has been improving in many ways. If this hawk eye camera comes, there would not be any problem regarding horrible line calls .. Definitely a good news. Cheer up man
    It's not Hawkeye. It's going to be something else that is yet to be developed. This is what Paisain was quoted as saying:

    "We are not adopting Hawk-eye but are looking into investing in similiar technology – a combination of human and new scientific methods by an American company."

    Hawkeye would not work, because one would have to recalibrate for the steep drop of the shuttle at the end of it's flight, as well as drift (which differs in every venue) as well as the rules: whether feather or cork must touch any part of the line. This stuff has been discussed in great detail in this thread:
    BWF to implement a replay system to check disputes over line calls

  16. #33
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    coming to a court near you...
    Posts
    28,044
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    It's not Hawkeye. It's going to be something else that is yet to be developed. This is what Paisain was quoted as saying:

    "We are not adopting Hawk-eye but are looking into investing in similiar technology – a combination of human and new scientific methods by an American company."

    Hawkeye would not work, because one would have to recalibrate for the steep drop of the shuttle at the end of it's flight, as well as drift (which differs in every venue) as well as the rules: whether feather or cork must touch any part of the line. This stuff has been discussed in great detail in this thread:
    BWF to implement a replay system to check disputes over line calls
    I think the hawkeye system would pretty much empty the BWF coffers. I think BWF said they'd not use the new system (whatever it is) on all the courts initially but eventually they will because of fairness to all competitors. Imagine 5 courts x hawkeye = BWF out of business, haha

  17. #34
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ipoh
    Posts
    1,163
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Main problem with hawkeye is that it can't distinguished between the contact on the line made by the ball of the shuttle and it's feathers. So imagine the smashes fired with the ball touching outside the lines but it's feathers gliding over the line. That would cause even more delirious 'hoo-hahs' than before.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Exchange program?
    By robin7 in forum Korea Open / Malaysia Open 2010
    Replies: 10
    : 01-15-2010, 02:19 AM
  2. Best Antivirus program u using
    By Leon.t in forum Chit-Chat
    Replies: 25
    : 04-30-2008, 11:02 PM
  3. MP3 Editing Program
    By JChen99 in forum Chit-Chat
    Replies: 8
    : 06-30-2006, 11:00 PM
  4. training program
    By Joey12345 in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 0
    : 10-13-2005, 01:23 PM
  5. what strength program do i need
    By Common Aussies in forum General Forum
    Replies: 1
    : 09-12-2005, 02:45 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •