User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It appears that badminton is no longer in danger of being dropped from the list of OG sports... read this article:

Wrestling gives badminton a safety net
    China Daily, March 26, 2013

http://www.china.org.cn/sports/2013-...t_28358933.htm

a very interesting quote by Thomas Lund in this article:

"Everybody goes to schools, and the ambition for badminton is to be one of the world's biggest school sports," he said. "So we are spreading badminton in schools to every country in the world."

The BWF will team with its 173 members to provide training facilities and lessons to schools worldwide, increase prize money and improve TV broadcasting.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

i believe this thing about badminton being endangered is just bogus claim.

in the annual review by the IOC, badminton is not even in the list of the sports to be considered eliminated.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Once upon a time, a nice, gentle shopkeeper used to sell candy and other stuff to the local villagers. Everyone knew everyone, and things were good.

Then one day, the cost of candy increased to five times what it used to be. The kind old shopkeeper just went about his business after making the price correction.

Being a small village, he used to keep the shop doors open, and no bell, or any security cameras were around. Soon, some of the locals used to sneak in when they knew he was in the back room, and steal off with the candy.

When they were caught, they said, "but there is no sign saying that taking candy is illegal!" And the shopkeeper thought, "I can't shut my shop just because of a few bad fellows stealing some candy. My livelihood depends on my shop, and besides, I own the only shop in the whole village - it is my duty to continue."

The other people thought about this for a long while, then came up with this solution.
    "Stop selling candy! We don't need it. Candy has proven to be a divisive factor, one that tempts our people to do wrong things!"

But many others went up in arms at this. "It's not the fault of the candy!" they said. "It's just that there's so much of it, and so easily accessible in the shop, that makes these boys steal."

So they said to the shopkeeper, "Stock only just a little candy; and keep it locked in the steel cabinet. That way, everyone will value it more and learn to eat in moderation."

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lovely story, what are you referring to?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Exclamation

BWF and IMG in Landmark Media-Rights Deal
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 - Text by Gayle Alleyne

http://www.bwfbadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=73812

Excerpts:

...The deal, which comes into effect with the start of the 2014 Superseries cycle next year, will see BWF’s media-rights earnings jump four fold as badminton’s world-governing body capitalises on the sport’s increasing global popularity and profile.

The BWF events are currently televised in more than 160 countries, with more than 5,000 hours of coverage yearly. Additionally, after just 18 months, BWF’s online channel boasts 22 million views with fans already watching 70 million minutes of badminton. The new agreement will look to improve on these solid figures. “I have said before that my goal has been to strengthen BWF’s financial position and this agreement with IMG further ensures that. BWF is guaranteed higher revenues from this deal than ever before for media rights,” said BWF President Dr. Kang Young Joong

...The consolidation of BWF’s media rights means IMG Media – a division of IMG Worldwide, the global sports, fashion and media company – will have exclusive rights to showcase all of the best badminton action worldwide, having secured the rights for the BWF Major Events (World Championships, Thomas & Uber Cups and the Sudirman Cup), the 12-stop BWF World Superseries tour which culminates in the year-end Superseries Finals and the Grand Prix Gold tour which for the first time sees its media rights centralised by the BWF. This is also the very first time the BWF is working exclusively with one global partner across all of its media rights.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is great to see, if BWF keep these forward pushes up you are going to have to change the thread title Cobalt.

We are also looking at an enhanced magazine show, profiling badminton stars and events more prominently. There are many options for utilising media platforms and BWF will be seeking to maximise these.

It is nice to see them put effort into this side of things as well, I think giving badminton personality will help it greatly. I still think they are doing a pretty amatuer job at this after watching the badminton world magazine programs. I have seen two interviews of players who actually have a personality, villa lang and Greysia Polii. Even so they still struggled a wee bit, because the questioning was not too good and interviewer (if their was one?) kind of hung them out to dry. Most of the other interviews although some being slightly interesting were more like job interviews and lacking in any charisma. The lady who narrates the show is terrible(not personal maybe just the material given) but everything is just read in the same up and down tone with no conviction or interest in what she is saying. She will cut in over the top and say "ville Lang owes a lot to his parents" then it cuts to him basically repeating what she just said, pretty rubbish.
    Fear not I have the perfect man for the job Peter Gade! Have him conduct the interviews in screen as well. He has been within the "inner circle" enough to extract the best information out of player/coaches, and ask them more gritty/pertinent or funny questions. the interviewees my be more comfortable talking to him. He has knowledge and enough personality. As long as he didn't take it too seriously I think that would work amazing.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Actually, I think the entire IMG deal was a last-minute dash to the finish line and a sell-out in more ways than one. With this deal, I believe BWF have just perpetuated the same mistakes they have been making thus far, and have in effect, presented the next management with a fait accompli.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I ask what your basing these assumptions on cobalt,

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Televised in more than 160 countries" ??? I would love to see that list !

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Badminton Fraternity Gathers for AGM and Member’s Forum in Malaysia
    Friday, May 17, 2013 - Text by Gayle Alleyne | Edwin Leung

http://www.bwfbadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=73872

Excerpts:

Delegates from more than 150 of BWF’s 179 worldwide Member Associations are in the Malaysian capital for the week-long session which will see the election of a new president and council, the announcement of the 2012 Players of the Year at a glittering awards banquet and various council and committee sessions, including the Women in Badminton Forum on Sunday.

...“This is an important occasion for networking and information sharing with our most important stakeholder – our members,” said outgoing BWF President Dr. Kang Young Joong.

Tomorrow’s AGM will see either Dr. Justian Suhandinata (Indonesia; at left) or Poul-Erik Hoyer Larsen (Denmark; at right) succeed Dr. Kang as BWF President for the next four years, as the organisation moves towards the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. A new BWF Council will also be elected.
    Last edited by cobalt; 05-17-2013 at 10:28 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

IMG will not handle production for badminton; they will only handle distribution. Typically, production will be handled by the host country's association and broadcaster.

For example:
    For the upcoming Sudirman Cup, IMG has all international rights except for Malaysia.
    http://www.imgprogramming.com/badmin...irman-cup.aspx
    According to IMG, they will be providing live coverage of 2 sessions of 5 matches every day, from group stage upto semi-finals, and five matches on the finals day.

For the Canada GP coverage, read here:
    http://www.imgprogramming.com/badmin...rand-prix.aspx

For the US Open read here:
    http://www.imgprogramming.com/badmin...prix-gold.aspx

For Macau Open read here:
    http://www.imgprogramming.com/badmin...prix-gold.aspx

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The BWF Annual Report 2012 is available online for anyone who wishes to read it.

http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=438814&dl=1

Total surplus for the year 2012 was $ 12,665,758.
    This is the Olympic year. Total Olympic income was approx $ 14 million.
    Olympic expenses were approx $ 400K.

Clearly, the OG is the big cash cow for BWF. Without the OG, the BWF would just about break even or make a small surplus. The OG drives development.

Income from other BWF tournaments in 2012 was approx $ 7.8 million compared to $9.9 million in 2011.

Total surplus for the year 2011 was $ 774,526. This illustrates the importance of the Olympic Games for the survival (and growth) of badminton in it's current model.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks. I hope there will be more broadcast of GP and GPG events.

does anyone know where I can find a list of which countries/cities/broadcasters who will broadcast a particular event?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by demolidor View Post
    "Televised in more than 160 countries" ??? I would love to see that list !
    Just look at an atlas, it's basically every country in the world (about 193).http://www.worldatlas.com/nations.htm#.UZdAS7WUSHA here's a list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was IMG Media the one that recommended that women players have to wear skirts ?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    Just look at an atlas, it's basically every country in the world (about 193).http://www.worldatlas.com/nations.htm#.UZdAS7WUSHA here's a list.

And now mark the 160+ for me that broadcast Super Series/BWF events on tv

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Courtesy of The Star :

The right choice.

Denmark’s Hoyer is new president of the BWF

DENMARK’s Poul-Erik Hoyer felt like he had won the Olympic Games gold medal all over again.
    The tall and blue-eyed 47-year-old Dane defeated Justian Suhandinata of Indonesia by 145-20 votes to become the Badminton World Federation’s (BWF) new president at the world body’s 74th annual general meeting at a hotel here yesterday.

At the Atlanta Olympic Games 17 years ago, Hoyer defeated Malaysia’s Rashid Sidek in the men’s singles final to become the first player from his country to win a badminton gold in the series.
    The cool and composed Hoyer was humble in his latest victory.

“I thank Dr Kang Young-joong for his leadership and indeed, it will be a great task to take over from him. Badminton is in my heart and I have been involved in it my whole life.
    I will cherish this opportunity to serve in BWF and produce more great moments,” said Hoyer.
    He said that he would continue working with Suhandinata.
    “I thank Justian. It was a tough fight but I’m glad the whole process was done democratically. I have great respect for him. We had a talk and I’m glad that he is interested to work together. We’ll meet again soon.”

Hoyer said that one of his first move would be to eradicate match throwing.
    At the last Olympic Games in London, badminton came under the spotlight when women’s doubles players threw their matches to avoid meeting stronger opponents. Four pairs were disqualified from the Games.

There have also been constant walkovers among players from China.
    There have also been talk about match-fixing in badminton.
    “I’ll probably set up a council to look into match throwing. Yes, this issue is one of my concerns,” he said.
    “I will not go into details about my plans but my heart is in development. I’m looking beyond 2016 and will ensure that the sport remains in the Olympic Games.
    “We are ranked about 13 among the Olympic sport and I’ll try to bring it into the top 10. There will be continuous improvement.”

Meanwhile, Peru’s Gustavo Salazar Delgado defeated incumbent Paisan Rangsikitpho 148-118 for the deputy president’s post.

There was also good news for Malaysia when Datuk Lim Teong Keat was appointed as one of the council members of BWF.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast