The differences between a national and an independent player.

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by S.fusion, Oct 24, 2011.

1. S.fusion

S.fusion Regular Member

Pls educate me. Wht r the benefits n hindrance of Each status. I am not talking abt budding players here but well established players that have made a name for themselves in the world of badminton. Although I recognise the importance of having a governing body in any discipline, I couldn't understand how come all the major badminton circuits only allow participation from national teams. I mean, Can an independent player play in the super series? Personally, I think national teams only tournament Does more harm than good to badminton.

#1 S.fusion, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  2. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    I am not really good about this so correct me if I'm wrong

national player:
    bound with their respective nation, the government of that nation paid their training, entry fees, etc
    of course if they win, the money will not 100% go to them, but also go to government
    example: lin dan, LCW

independent player:
    used their own money for everything (even to rent a court for training! but of course they got sponsored by badminton equipment such as Yonex, Li-ning, etc)
    however they are not bound with government and can do whatever they want
    some people that does not like being ordered around by their governing body (for example not get enough tournament and used as secondary squad which will not gonna see light in big tournament) will try to become an independent player
    prize money and the fame also 100% goes to them (except of course you need to pay tax)
    for example: Taufik hidayat

can independent player enter SS? yes
    taufik hidayat joined many SS tournaments

CMIIW but there is no tournament that ruled out only national teams player that can play in that tournament
    Indonesia will call Taufik to play in Thomas cup, which is team based
    Taufik can go to OG if he has good ranking in name of Indonesia (not only for himself as OG is about nation)

#2 Avenger, Oct 24, 2011
  3. S.fusion

S.fusion Regular Member

Thank you. Take tennis fr example, Davies Cup is equivalent to Thomas Cup I think. But why accomplished players want to tie their own hands, why not go independent? Pls dont tell me they play just for the love of the game. If all top ranking players boycott an event and all go solo. This not only will prompt/force the event holder to increase the prize money substantially but also increase the public appeal. I just don't understand. There are many examples from other sports tht badminton can study. And the are many ways a top player can get sponsorships to assist them financially. I feel sorry for all top badminton players, they give up so much for a sport that has short shelf life, yet they are not rewarded.

#3 S.fusion, Oct 24, 2011
  4. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

You are completely correct it cannibalises the game and makes it amatuerish.

5. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    if we can make badminton as a premium sport (such as golf or tennis)
    I'm sure many players wants to become an independent player as the sponsorship and prize money would be high
    IMO the prize money is actually not that high in badminton

if you are not lin dan, LCW, PG or TH, your chance to survive as independent player is quite low (as only the first and second winner who get the money)

don't forget all of expenses are on them, travel ticket, hotel, training, supplement, coach, etc
    sponsorship from badminton brand is not high..
    right now I don't think it is easy to become an independent player..

if you are asking why LD and LCW do not become independent player
    LD: IMO that's chinese mentality, they proud of the country, it's all about their country, not individual gain

or LCW, who knows, If I was LCW I would become an independent player long time ago

just a note: premium sport = more sponsorship and prize money, but also that means their sponsor needs to increase the price of badminton equpments and tournament tickets. at the end, the burden would be on us..

6. S.fusion

S.fusion Regular Member

This is like th chicken n egg story, no on dares to bite th bullets. ITs nothing to do with patriotism. In another words, they r all gutless. These badminton players including LD n LCW are being led around with a rope from their nose. Sponsorship need not have to be from badminton circuit, a local corporate/company looking to increase their exposure or just feeling generous could offer help. Thts why I mentioned earlier there are many examples around ESP in tennis, golf etc where players can survive. Come on, you talk as if the badminton rackets and the tickets are not expensive enough. Yonex n others r exploiting everyone apart from themselves. In other sport, the mere qualification to a tournament tht u r participating automatically earn you some monetary rewards, so not necessary the winners n runner ups. In shirt, everything has to change

#6 S.fusion, Oct 24, 2011
  7. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student

I am simply stating a fact... I don't really like to argue about it
    even if we rant here, nothing we can do about it

I am not an event organiser, I do not work for BWF, or Yonex, or Li-ning, I am not LYB assitant
    I have no impact whatsoever even if you asked me to think about it
    I have no power, sorry but you are asking to the wrong person

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
  9. S.fusion

S.fusion Regular Member

No, I was not arguing with you, as a matter of fact I never argue in a forum. Whts the point? Forum like this merely provides a platform to exchange views.Yes, we can't do anything abt it but this doesnt mean we should not talk ab it

10. S.fusion

S.fusion Regular Member

Yeah, I saw tht but it talked abt tennis more. Li Na was able to negotiate with China because she already had won some major titles, she could turned her back n emigrate to the states if she wanted to at the drop of a pin. China stood to lose more if she did tht. It's easy to make the transition in tennis because the system in place will provide a mean to survive financially and the astronomical prize money also provide an incentive to drive the sports further by attracting high profile players. Wht we need is for some past badminton champion/veteran to stand up n make some noise or even form a players union to collectively represent all current players. When I saw the prize money presentation for the winner whilst the winner seemed to have been dragged straight to the podium, hasnt had the chance to catch a breath with sweat soaked through his shirt and all he won was a peanut sum of 25000 dollars, the scene really saddens me.

#10 S.fusion, Oct 24, 2011