Sportsmanship Is Essential

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Oct 24, 2011.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    found this:

Sportsmanship Is Essential

We all know that winning is a goal in sports. But how are we doing with the higher goal of sportsmanship? Winning is important for that day, but sportsmanship is important for life. Sportsmanship breeds character, and character breeds the person we become.

Are you in need of a sportsmanship tune-up? What would your opponents say about your sportsmanship? Would you act differently if someone you wanted to impress was watching you play? Would you be a good example for some younger person to watch? These are all important questions as sportsmanship is a peek into the character of an athlete.

We all have seen poor sportsmanship and cringe for that person that cracks under the pressure of the moment. In an instant, that very popular athlete or coach can lose much of their hard-earned respect and credibility by displaying poor sportsmanship.

To whom much is entrusted much is expected. This is sure true for athletes as they are blessed with special physical gifts that often provide a platform to perform and influence others. Sometimes the only witness is the person we are playing, and we still have a responsibility to that person to show kindness and respect. The stakes grow even higher for the on-looking fans and the next generation of admirers.

It has been said that a beautiful woman who lacks discretion is like a gold ring in a pig's snout. Similarly, even though someone might have all the athletic talent in the world, if they lack sportsmanship, they bring disgrace upon themselves and those associated with them.

Sports are fun and exciting and present opportunities to grow in all kinds of great ways such as teamwork, skill and strategy. But the greatest reward of sports is the opportunity to grow in character. Please remember to always treat people how you would want them to treat you. Your level of sportsmanship can affect how the other person feels about themselves. Let us use sports to build each other up and not to tear each other down. Through sportsmanship we can encourage and inspire others to be all that they can be.

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Good article, Boss!

Sports and other activities we take up as children are supposed to teach us the lessons of hard-work, resilience, teamwork and fairplay. In other words all the skills that will make for a successful adult.

However sports has been perverted into such big business that it is no longer a means to an end but an end in itself. Kids, who will never make their living from playing a game, are being pushed for 'results' by ultra-competitive parents and coaches. And in that pursuit the new life lessons become narcissism, petulance, obsessiveness and rule-bending. What sort of adult will that child become? How many employers are going to want to hire a John McEnroe? Who wants to marry one?:rolleyes:

3. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Sorry about this but Tatum O'Neal and Patty Smyth have both married John McEnroe and also McEnroe was employed by various companies including the bbc and had emmy award nominations. His bad behaviour and attitude did more for the promotion of tennis than any other character debatably in history, and not in a negative way. Apathy and good sportsmanship definately have their place but so does the other side of the coin. I see most elite badminton players/sportsmen have wavering bad sportmanship due to the fact they care about winning so much that their passion overides any normal(ethical) thought process, that's why they are at the top so i guess you have to accept that bad sportsmanship has to exist to an extent realistically.

"These are all important questions as sportsmanship is a peek into the character of an athlete." Name any great athelete/sportman and i will name you a bad loser it is their driving force.

#3 craigandy, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Joe Louis. Gentleman.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Good article. Who's that attributed to?

IMHO, sportsmanship is like honour and respect in martial arts.

Despite being in a fight or battle, you still have to be in absolute control of yourself and your emotions. And remember that the opponent on the other side is still a human like yourself, and who is a brother/sister who is just as passionate about the same sport as yourself.

6. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

lol. was meant to be a rhetorical question. Mr Louis beat the crap out of people for a living had numerous wifes and affairs and was a cocaine addict slightly worse than bad sportmanship. But with regards to sportmanship could not agree or disagree since last time he fought competitively was before either of us were born.

Anyway was not trying to get into arguments over this, I was merely preposing that bad sportmanship is a "necessary evil" within competitive sports to an extent. It can work out positively for some sports' promotion.
    I am sure a bad sportsman feels regret that is enough for me everyone should be allowed a few slip ups from time to time it's passion. Don't get me wrong I agree that sportmanship is good but there is a flip side.